kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

I think it's better to put it on streaming and boost their HBOmax subs.  For rentals, i don't know how many people would pay....i guess in the US they will pay, but it will leak on the Internet in high quality.    I guess they'll release in cinemas in Asia first

‘Wonder Woman 1984’: Warner Bros. Mulls January HBO Max Release or Delay to Summer 2021

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-summer-2021-1234830975/

Warner Bros. execs are considering whether to push the highly anticipated superhero sequel to the summer of 2021, or keep the movie on its Dec. 25 theatrical debut and then put it on the HBO Max streaming service in early January,

They say if it moves to summer, it will be June or July

Warner Bros. brass are still considering pushing “Wonder Woman 1984” back into a summer release date, possibly in June (bumping a New Line Cinema horror title) or July (bumping the new “Space Jam” movie with LeBron James).

Edited by Maggie

9 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I really don’t think that giving this the Soul treatment makes any financial sense for WB. Still strongly expect it will move to March-ish (and then later to June).

Decision making hasn’t been a strong point for WB lately. I think Stankey is making a lot of the calls from above and I don’t like him. 

27 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

WB talked with local bureau and applied for Dec.18 in China. 

If DEC worldwide release is locked, shorter window is the only way they won't lose big money.

As with all release dates this year, that still doesn’t mean it’s locked in and can’t be moved. They’ll have requested that China date in the hope that they can release it then, but the way things are going in the US and Europe, they’d be insane to keep it in December.

With the first film’s takings being heavily weighted towards the US, I just can’t see them sticking with December, not when US COVID cases are breaking records with each passing day and the current US government seems content to just sit back and watch.

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

They are thinking of moving it to July in Space's Jam spot. How crazy is WB?

Screenshot-2020-11-13-Movie-Release-Schedule

If all those release dates stick, summer 2021 is going to be a bloodbath. So many films will get one week at number 1 and immediately have their legs chopped off the following week.

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

If all those release dates stick, summer 2021 is going to be a bloodbath. So many films will get one week at number 1 and immediately have their legs chopped off the following week.

If WW84 moves to June, then indeed summer 2021 will be crazy. Good for us followers of BO, but God i hope things return to a somewhat normal

Screenshot-2020-11-13-Movie-Release-Schedule

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

WB talked with local bureau and applied for Dec.18 in China. 

If DEC worldwide release is locked, shorter window is the only way they won't lose big money.

March feels like a lifetime ago at this point, but movies like A Quiet Place Part II and Mulan were literally right about to open until everything fell apart.

All release date bets are off in the COVID era unless you're bypassing theaters and going straight for a home release.

A decision from Warner Bros. on Wonder Woman 1984’s Christmas Day theatrical fate is imminent, I hear, either tomorrow or by Monday at the latest.

The internet is in a tizzy over a Bloomberg article tonight that the sequel to the $821M-plus grossing 2017 DC hit, which broke several records for women at the box office, is headed for an HBO Max play a week or two following its Christmas Day theatrical run. I hear that’s not the option the studio is careening toward. However, according to exhibition sources, I understand that WarnerMedia brass have kicked around the idea of a simultaneous theatrical and HBO Max release on Christmas Day, particularly given how the pandemic is poised to shut down California exhibition in two weeks as more counties move from red to purple tier, with other U.S. cities imposing curfews. Oh, yeah, and Western European theaters are closed.

Was just about to post that. I thought the most interesting part was this:

Those who conduct business with Warners tell me that AT&T Brass just don’t get the theatrical business, and are pressuring WarnerMedia executives to turn up the gas on the OTT service. If there’s any fear of ruining exhibition by moving Wonder Woman 1984, movie theaters are already crippled with or without the sequel on the marquee at Christmas.

But seriously, AT&T and WarnerMedia, do what’s best for the franchise, not the crazy streaming monster you just built. Wonder Woman 1984 is not Witches and it’s certainly not Scoob!. This is a movie that has the potential to gross $1 billion worldwide, and the ancillary riches and HBO Max subscribers will come with that down the road. All the MBAs in the room surely need to wake up to that. Perhaps Warner Bros. executives in this instance when dealing with their AT&T higher-ups should take some guidance from some of their HBO characters, Deadwood‘s Al Swearengen and Seth Bullock. Just do like they did when George Hearst came to town: Speak truth to power.