kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Shocking. I think black Widow is next

John Campea mentioned on his show yesterday (even before the WW84 news broke) that he has heard from sources that Disney will announce Black Widow's move to Disney + in their investors meeting in December.

I think the days of billion dollar movies is truly over as the production companies are truly invested in streaming now. And honestly why wouldn't they be as once Disney gets their subscription numbers up to where Netflix's currently is they will earn the kind of money they did last year virtually every single year.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

John Campea mentioned on his show yesterday (even before the WW84 news broke) that he has heard from sources that Disney will announce Black Widow's move to Disney + in their investors meeting in December.

If that happens i assume No Time to Die will move in its place

So, I'm finally back on...and yeah, timing sucked...

But it's what we predicted before the board went down - WW sticks to the theatrical date AND releases on HBO Max day and date.

WB trying to save international theater (and any domestic it can) while also trying to launch HBO Max.  It's a good move that way to thwart Disney Plus taking all the holiday money...gonna be interesting which service people choose to "gift" themselves and others for the year, since those kinda gifts are big for giving to "the parents who have everything already and don't want any more stuff."

• Like 1

The problem is a lot of people will sign up for HBO Max just to watch Wonder woman and cancel after that. It's just so expensive especially if you have Netflix and everything else that a lot of people are going to stick with what they already have. I can't imagine getting rid of Netflix it's a non-starter for my wife and there is literally no way I'm arguing over $15 a month.

• Like 2

Just now, cdsacken said:

The problem is a lot of people will sign up for HBO Max just to watch Wonder woman and cancel after that. It's just so expensive especially if you have Netflix and everything else that a lot of people are going to stick with what they already have. I can't imagine getting rid of Netflix it's a non-starter for my wife and there is literally no way I'm arguing over $15 a month.

Well, it's what you get rid of.

I'm putting my $5.99/month Hulu on hold and probably picking up HBO Max (I asked the spouse how he wanted to watch WW, and he said "probably HBO Max", so I'll be getting that for the year).  I'm still on the fence with whether I keep Disney+, but I have til Dec 22...I've watched very little of it this year, except my kids have used the National Geo for supplemental science and social studies...so then the parent in me says "maybe one more year"...

I don't pay for Netflix (phone does), and I accidentally auto-renewed Amazon Prime (which I probably would have done anyway), so my "pay streaming" thoughts are Sling (for ESPN, Game Show Network, and Food TV) plus 2 extra streams...still deciding those 2 for next year:)...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, it's what you get rid of.

I'm putting my $5.99/month Hulu on hold and probably picking up HBO Max (I asked the spouse how he wanted to watch WW, and he said "probably HBO Max", so I'll be getting that for the year).  I'm still on the fence with whether I keep Disney+, but I have til Dec 22...I've watched very little of it this year, except my kids have used the National Geo for supplemental science and social studies...so then the parent in me says "maybe one more year"...

I don't pay for Netflix (phone does), and I accidentally auto-renewed Amazon Prime (which I probably would have done anyway), so my "pay streaming" thoughts are Sling (for ESPN, Game Show Network, and Food TV) plus 2 extra streams...still deciding those 2 for next year:)...

I cut the cord a long time ago and only have Netflix and Disney and Amazon. Amazon I don't have for streaming but we do use it. Netflix I prepaid for 3 years and now I'm screwed because the discount isn't near as good. Although I'm shooting for about 20 to 25% off for Black Friday to buy a year's worth. 

Disney I have for 3 years at the ridiculous price of a few bucks a month. HBO seems to be incredibly hard to get at a discount.

Apparently I could look for iTunes or Google play store gift cards and subscribe through the play store for HBO Max. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Very disappointing, but unfortunately, not surprising. There's been a lot tie-ins for it throughout the year due to all the delayed releases, so all the marketing costs were probably starting to ensure this was never seeing profitability (especially in the current climate). At least it sounds like Patty Jenkins was on board with it, and they'll likely be committed to making Wonder Woman 3 in a few years when (hopefully) the marketplace will have returned to normal by then assuming this would've been huge in normal circumstances. Depressing, but hey, 2020 has been a mostly depressing year overall.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Did they really think $15 a month wouldn't look quite ridiculous next to the other streaming services, especially launching just a few months after Disney+?

I pay over $20/ month for my hbo/crave and am very happy to pay it. 

Disney+ on the other hand, lol, no comment. 

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

WW1984 will only play on HBO Max for the first 30 days before Warners pulls it off (and again it will be in play in whatever theaters). From day 31 to 60, the sequel will have an exclusive theatrical window before going on PVOD on day 61. That’s the only way Warners could get exhibitors to go along with this deal on WW1984.

Sounds messy.

I’m amazed that the theatre companies went along with that deal, do they seriously think they’re going to be packing people in on day 31 when it’s been available to watch as many times as people want via HBO Max for 30 days? People will have had their fill of the film and theatres will be ghost towns. Although less than a week ago I was saying there’s no way it’d debut on HBO Max and here we are, so with my track record of being wrong it’ll probably cross a billion domestic on day 32 or something...

Joking aside, put me firmly in the “they should have delayed it” camp. WB must have a thing for burning money.

13 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’m amazed that the theatre companies went along with that deal, do they seriously think they’re going to be packing people in on day 31 when it’s been available to watch as many times as people want via HBO Max for 30 days? People will have had their fill of the film and theatres will be ghost towns. Although less than a week ago I was saying there’s no way it’d debut on HBO Max and here we are, so with my track record of being wrong it’ll probably cross a billion domestic on day 32 or something...

Joking aside, put me firmly in the “they should have delayed it” camp. WB must have a thing for burning money.

They lose out on what 200 million PVOD? So weird.

9 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Personally for me Disney for under $4 is way better than $15 

The money isn’t the issue for me(Disney+ is $10/month here), it’s the content on Disney+, but I don’t want to derail this thread so I’ll leave it at that. 

Edited by cax16

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

The money isn’t the issue for me(Disney+ is $10/month here), it’s the content on Disney+, but I don’t want to derail this thread so I’ll leave it at that. 

Shoot for $10 hell no for me haha.

It's useful for me my kiddo and future shows coming at legit. Makes it easy to pay peanuts for this year 2021 and 2022

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

They lose out on what 200 million PVOD? So weird.

It’s just a truly baffling decision. As people here have already said, this will goose the HBO Max subscriber numbers for a month and then people will cancel, one movie isn’t a long term solution to growing your subscriber base.

13 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s just a truly baffling decision. As people here have already said, this will goose the HBO Max subscriber numbers for a month and then people will cancel, one movie isn’t a long term solution to growing your subscriber base.

I think they are really thinking long term with these streaming services. They are looking five to ten years down the road to what these streaming services could potentially become. Yes they will take a financial hit at this point in time but they will at least get new people in the door for the first time because of this move. And if those individuals like what they see they will either stay subscribed or they would be a lot more willing to subscribe again later on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Did they really think $15 a month wouldn't look quite ridiculous next to the other streaming services, especially launching just a few months after Disney+?

its a fair price for their content which is the best quality wise mixed in with some franchise stuff, but not cheap enough where you subscribe and forget. sign up a few months out of the year and watch what you want and cancel