kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

34 minutes ago, Hangman said:

But USA can watch it on HBO Max.  No HBO Max in Canada.

Yup, sucks for sure. Not sure what WB strategy is here for markets outside the US, doesn’t really seem like they have one. Hopefully they announce something closer to the date. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

Another market lost.

"Partial lockdown extended through at least Dec. 20th...."   

So they are clearly leaving the window open just in case... as it's scheduled for Dec. 23rd in Germany.  

But still...what a fiasco.  

Warners will make WW3 simply to erase the memory of this whole situation, if nothing else...

19 hours ago, Macleod said:

"Partial lockdown extended through at least Dec. 20th...."   

So they are clearly leaving the window open just in case... as it's scheduled for Dec. 23rd in Germany.  

Dec 20 is just the end of the current measures. If new infections don't drop significantly (which they won't with only a partial lockdown), the measures are going to be extended into the new year. I have no idea, why Warner Bros. Germany didn't cancel or delay the theatrical release yet. Cinemas probably won't re-open anyway, if there's only WW84 and the delayed films from November.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stracki said:

Dec 20 is just the end of the current measures. If new infections don't drop significantly (which they won't with only a partial lockdown), the measures are going to be extended into the new year. I have no idea, why Warner Bros. Germany didn't cancel or delay the theatrical release yet. Cinemas probably won't re-open anyway, if there's only WW84 and the delayed films from November.

Yep, obviously.  Just find it interesting that the dates are so close together, as if they're giving that window of hope for WW84.  I expect a flush of European/global streaming announcements to come throughout December.  What a bummer for this film.  

10 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I expect a flush of European/global streaming announcements to come throughout December.

It's very likely that doesn't happen. They aren't going to sell global rights to streamers. At best, it'll get a PVOD release at the same time as the US (Feb I think).

Edited by lorddemaxus

sad that this is going to streaming. way bigger than Mulan.

hopefully I'll still be able to see it in the cinema at some point. But cinemas may easily not re-open (here in UK) until March or so. Cinemas are not going to re-open for just this movie, but they'll be able to show WW84 when they do eventually deem it viable to re-open.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's very likely that doesn't happen. They aren't going to sell global rights to streamers. At best, it'll get a PVOD release at the same time as the US (Feb I think).

That's what I mean - streaming or PVOD, but I guess I should clarify, since we're supposed to be film industry/box office nerds, here. 😁

Regardless, it's wackadoodle that AT&T/WarnerMedia can't see the global writing on the wall -- that so many nations and localities around the world won't have anything close to optimum cinema capacity, let alone be open en-masse at all... (barring China's seemingly back-open mega-market)

This is so clearly a selfish decision to use the film to boost America's HBOMax.  

Edited by Macleod

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

That's what I mean - streaming or PVOD, but I guess I should clarify, since we're supposed to be film industry/box office nerds, here. 😁

Regardless, it's wackadoodle that AT&T/WarnerMedia can't see the global writing on the wall -- that so many nations and localities around the world won't have anything close to optimum cinema capacity, let alone be open en-masse at all... (barring China's seemingly back-open mega-market)

This is so clearly a selfish decision to use the film to boost America's HBOMax.  

At this point, there’s no telling when things will go back to normal, and the more they push this movie back, the more money they burn. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

At this point, there’s no telling when things will go back to normal, and the more they push this movie back, the more money they burn. 

I get that, but what about everything else that moved?  I would have put this in June and taken one more shot at it.  OK, I know I populated the last page or two a lot...I'm done for now. 🤔 

I have to admit it will be pretty disappointing if WB doesn’t have another plan for places that don’t have hbomax and theatres closed.

Our theatres here could be closed for all of December and January, we have no timeframe for our lockdowns.

I wouldn’t be at a theatre anyways but it’s really making me feel like my subscription to my hbo/crave is somehow less important cause I don’t live in the states and don’t technically have hbomax. Hopefully they’re smart enough to have other plans. 

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I’m surprised WB is moving forward with this release after Tenet’s Corona-flop. Seems like they should wait until Pandemic is over to release WW1984. 

Box office numbers, at least in North America, aren’t important right now. If that was a priority for them, they wouldn’t have the movie out on HBO Max for an entire month.