kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

6 hours ago, antovolk said:

Sounds like internationally, they'll rather delay the film than attempt VOD or convincing cinemas to do day and date like domestically

The more I read about this release, the more I think the execs at WB have lost their damn minds.

The only way this film will make money internationally at the moment is if they get it out everywhere they can theatrically and PVOD on the 25th where they can’t. Anything less than that is just asking for trouble in terms of piracy.

What they do in the UK will be very interesting to follow. It’s meant to be out in two weeks and I’m yet to see a single billboard or TV advertisement. Hell, I haven’t even seen an online advert for it.

• Like 1

I think this strategy would have made sense if WW had released at a similar time that Tenet did (That is assuming they're desperate to release WW this year). International markets were in a decent enough place to make some cash. US was/is a write-off so HBO MAX makes sense. 

But now international markets are back in a pretty bad spot and WB are still committing to their release date. It just seems like they're not reading the room. Maybe they think Xmas+WW is going to give them a big boost on HBO MAX and that's worth the loss. 

Edited by FilmFincher

14 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

I think this strategy would have made sense if WW had released at a similar time that Tenet did (That is assuming they're desperate to release WW this year). International markets were in a decent enough place to make some cash. US was/is a write-off so HBO MAX makes sense. 

But now international markets are back in a pretty bad spot and WB are still committing to their release date. It just seems like they're not reading the room. Maybe they think Xmas+WW is going to give them a big boost on HBO MAX and that's worth the loss. 

European/northern hemisphere markets are in a bad spot, because its winter.

Some international markets are in OKish shape.

BTW, here in the UK, vaccines are being rolled out starting next week.

Edited by AndyK

19 minutes ago, AndyK said:

European/northern hemisphere markets are in a bad spot, because its winter.

Some international markets are in OKish shape.

BTW, here in the UK, vaccines are being rolled out starting next week.

yup, though not gonna have a larger effect on the situation and getting back to 'normal' until April really, when is when the over-50s are expected to be vaccinated. Priority for this month is gonna be key workers/NHS and the oldest/most vulnerable in hospitals and care homes.

Variety seems to suggest here what’s on the cards as a PVOD rental through Sky Store but I honestly highly doubt that’s what’s happening here - all of WB’s previous PVOD drops have been on all platforms. If they’re doing an exclusive with Sky, it’s as part of the subscription, no additional charge. In any case, the big story is Odeon/Vue agreeing to shorten the window here from 16 weeks to 1 month.

Edited by antovolk

12 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Variety seems to suggest here what’s on the cards as a PVOD rental through Sky Store but I honestly highly doubt that’s what’s happening here - all of WB’s previous PVOD drops have been on all platforms. If they’re doing an exclusive with Sky, it’s as part of the subscription, no additional charge. In any case, the big story is Odeon/Vue agreeing to shorten the window here from 16 weeks to 1 month.

Of the 3 big chains.....

Looks like Odeon and Vue are opening up in Tier 1 and 2 areas to show wonder Woman.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a32576843/when-will-cinemas-reopen-vue-odeon-cineworld/

Cineworld has yet to make a decision, which is shame because they are our only choice locally.

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Of the 3 big chains.....

Looks like Odeon and Vue are opening up in Tier 1 and 2 areas to show wonder Woman.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a32576843/when-will-cinemas-reopen-vue-odeon-cineworld/

Cineworld has yet to make a decision, which is shame because they are our only choice locally.

The CEO said they won't open for WW84 alone, not really expecting reopening until the spring, so count that out. 

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

Of the 3 big chains.....

Yeah I'm in Tier 2 and it looks like our local Odeon is opening up as of this weekend. Mostly Xmas movies but they have Coppola's new Godfather Part 3 cut which is tempting.

I'll likely go for WW unless it gets abysmal reviews. 

9 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

Pretty obvious that's what AT&T is hoping for

WB suits must be pissed. Spent 200m+ only to have their new boss come in and use said 200m+ as an ad for their streaming service lol

Edited by DlAMONDZ
  • Like 1

People will illegally download it. I guarantee it. Personally, I don’t want to do it and I am very willing to pay good money to see WW on the biggest screen possible, and even though I won’t do it, pirating it seems like the only way to see it.

At least they should have waited until HBO Max would be available globally.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

People will illegally download it. I guarantee it. Personally, I don’t want to do it and I am very willing to pay good money to see WW on the biggest screen possible, and even though I won’t do it, pirating it seems like the only way to see it.

At least they should have waited until HBO Max would be available globally.

They screwed up the roll out for hbomax so that’s not an option. What they should of done is offer a theatrical release / pvod option simultaneously everywhere it’s available and that would get as many eyes on it as possible and give people options. So that’s on them now if people pirate it, I don’t agree with that and never would but they’re  making it hard for people who don’t want to get spoiled. 

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

They screwed up the roll out for hbomax so that’s not an option. What they should of done is offer a theatrical release / pvod option simultaneously everywhere it’s available and that would get as many eyes on it as possible and give people options. So that’s on them now if people pirate it, I don’t agree with that and never would but they’re  making it hard for people who don’t want to get spoiled. 

the problem is, getting the chains to go along with it. Skipping theatrical entirely with this, like with Mulan, I think that's something they would avoid. They got super lucky they managed to convince AMC etc. to allow the day and date release Stateside, and now Odeon and Vue in UK to have the one-month window.

14 minutes ago, antovolk said:

the problem is, getting the chains to go along with it. Skipping theatrical entirely with this, like with Mulan, I think that's something they would avoid. They got super lucky they managed to convince AMC etc. to allow the day and date release Stateside, and now Odeon and Vue in UK to have the one-month window.

Oh ya I realize that but it’s just something they should of worked out cause now we’re gonna have tons of places worldwide who won’t have access  to this. And I realize it’s like that sometimes with releases but this was the time to have it worked out so it would be available to all fans and not just Americans with hbomax. If they didn’t want to do hbo worldwide then they should of had pvod with theatrical, theatres are in no position to make demands at this time. 

Edited by cax16