kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

6 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Although the change from being a channel to its own app also probably playing a part in HBO MAX case. 

So they are asking for a better deal than what Disney and Netflix have, right? Like I said, I noticed that both services are on the the Roku Channel Store.

And what kind of deal does Hulu have for their ad-supported version with Roku? Do they also share the ad-revenue?

Edited by lorddemaxus

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So they are asking for a better deal than what Disney and Netflix have, right? Like I said, I noticed that both services are on the the Roku Channel Store.

And what kind of deal does Hulu have for their ad-supported version with Roku? Do they also share the ad-revenue?

Yeah from the Channel store aspect it would appear HBO MAX do want a better deal, although I imagine that’s something they will have to concede if both Netflix and Disney+ are in channels. 

Hulu and YouTube both get full ad revenue from what I understand, but those deals were done a long time ago, they are big enough to have an effect on customers leaving to another platform and they have a pre-existing relationship:

Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, and YouTube have paid Roku to build brand-specific buttons on its remote controls; these lead users straight to those services. At $1 per customer for each button, the cost can quickly add up to millions of dollars in monthly fees.”

Disney+, Netflix etc are different (both due to prominence and lack of advertising.) Warner shifting their film slate may have solved the first issue but the second (advertising) comes down to this(have bolded the important parts : 

“ Roku’s large base of cord cutters gives it leverage over any media company that wants to woo subscribers. Historically, cable- and satellite-TV distributors have paid media companies to carry their networks and received, in return, a slice of their advertising inventory. Roku doesn’t pay anything to the channels it distributes, yet it still takes a share of their ad revenue.

Roku also signs short-term deals with streaming networks, enabling it to renegotiate (read: ask for more money) quickly. Just months after signing a new contract, Roku executives will threaten to cancel a channel if its owner doesn’t give Roku a larger cut of ad sales, say several people familiar with negotiations who asked to remain anonymous to avoid upsetting their relationships with the company. In 2016, Roku told executives at Vevo LLC that if it didn’t share its ad revenue, it couldn’t be on Roku, according to Variety. Eventually, Roku relented; most services don’t have Vevo’s scale. “Distribution agreements expire, and if one isn’t in place then a channel could come out of the Channel Store,” the company said in a statement. “As our scale grows, so does our ability to help channels reach an audience and monetize, so of course we want to be properly compensated .”

Source for both quotes: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-11/streaming-box-king-roku-is-under-seige-from-amazon-and-apple

edit: I’m on my phone so sorry for the shitty formatting everyone. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Sounds like they showed new footage at CCXP

Not "new footage" as such. About 10 seconds new, everything else we have seen before

CCXP didn't have much in the way of new stuff in the end. Fandome was DC's big event for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

In terms of WW84, the thing that most interests me is seeing how this release does in terms of box office. This is by far the biggest movie to ever try something like this.

I'm not sure Warner Brothers will actually release box office numbers for WW84 or any of their 2021 movies.

Really solid movie that I put on par with the first movie if not better. Sometimes sequels can go overboard with world ending threats or upping the action to ridiculousness but WW1984 keeps it pretty reasonable all things considering. I give props for Jenkins for trying something different. The 80s tone and the awesome soundtrack (Zimmer did an amazing job) made this fun but also hopeful with optimistic messages. Great performances by Pascal and Wiig in particular.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

All things considered I think this will be a bigger crowd pleaser than the first one. First movies is one I keep very close to my heart but holy shit everything I read and see of this one makes me feel like I can break stones with my hands. 

Latest trailer and clip are absolutely perfect and shows that Patty not only gets the character but she has understood Diana so well that even the tiniest detail in the action scenes are so Diana and I love them for it.

4 hours ago, Jamiem said:

more new footage than the CCXP trailer. 

Great scene, she's running at 40mph whilst pushing a truck sideways as a shiled :hahaha:

Looks like there will be no 3rd act complaints on this one....

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1