kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

They opened the IMAX in my cinema this week. Think I might actually watch this in cinemas, if my family is comfortable going I guess (this is definitely not a film I'll be watching by myself in cinemas). 

Also, considering how AT&T/WB has been fumbling everything this week, I'm even more skeptical that this will get the sub boost they hoped for. 

24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They opened the IMAX in my cinema this week. Think I might actually watch this in cinemas, if my family is comfortable going I guess (this is definitely not a film I'll be watching by myself in cinemas). 

Also, considering how AT&T/WB has been fumbling everything this week, I'm even more skeptical that this will get the sub boost they hoped for. 

I thought it would be a big boost but I’m startling to doubt it also. I think piracy just might destroy their whole plan. 

From the looks of pre-sales in China I don’t know if people are just waiting to watch it on their computers or they’re just not interested in it. 

31 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I thought it would be a big boost but I’m startling to doubt it also. I think piracy just might destroy their whole plan. 

From the looks of pre-sales in China I don’t know if people are just waiting to watch it on their computers or they’re just not interested in it. 

Warner/AT&T has damned this movie, either way -- a shocking move, considering how much goodwill the first one generated.  But if this bombs in China, etc., largely due to piracy or even simply bad PR due to this whole move, some people will never forgive them for this.  Do I expect Jenkins and Gadot to return for WW3?  They probably will -- but they will also probably make whatever is left of WarnerMedia wait a good, long time for them to return.  And they may indeed try to wait for a better corporate climate to emerge there -- possibly even new ownership.  Jenkins' move to sign up for Star Wars (which was clearly already in play before the Warners' announcement) is looking very strategic, now.  Master chess move.  She's a smart cookie and she deserves all the success she can get.  

Nothing is certain.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Warner/AT&T has damned this movie, either way -- a shocking move, considering how much goodwill the first one generated.  But if this bombs in China, etc., largely due to piracy or even simply bad PR due to this whole move, some people will never forgive them for this.  Do I expect Jenkins and Gadot to return for WW3?  They probably will -- but they will also probably make whatever is left of WarnerMedia wait a good, long time for them to return.  And they may indeed try to wait for a better corporate climate to emerge there -- possibly even new ownership.  Jenkins' move to sign up for Star Wars (which was clearly already in play before the Warners' announcement) is looking very strategic, now.  Master chess move.  

Nothing is certain.  

Plus she has Cleopatra also after SW before a WW3 can even happen. 

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Plus she has Cleopatra also after SW before a WW3 can even happen. 

Who knows if that project will happen or not, but clearly she's setting up her slate so that she, if she wants, can make Warners wait a good, long time for her to re-commit to WW3.  

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Wow! Thanks for posting! I’m so happy, we just went into lockdown today so this is some welcome news. 

Also, $30 is fine for me cause tickets run $80-100 for my family of 4, and that’s before concessions. 

Edited by cax16

27 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Yeah, just saw WB Canada tweet about it:

Fingers crossed they do something similar for the UK if they want it to make ANY money over here...that said, I hope they don’t just replace the dollar sign with a pound sign, no way am I paying £29.99 to rent it. £19.99 would be more sensible and in line with the Mulan Premier Access price.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Realistically, the fact that this movie is going straight to video on demand in at least a few regions will likely will make pirating it much easier. 

Oh absolutely, which is why I think they’d be stupid not to get it out on PVOD in countries that are currently struggling with COVID. Give people a legal option to watch it at home and they’ll likely take it.

With half the country likely to be under Tier 3 restrictions with closed cinemas, they’ll likely see a surge of piracy like Disney saw with season 1 of The Mandalorian. Everyone I know in the UK who was a Star Wars fan had seen it long before Disney+ finally launched in March.

• Like 1

France wanted to reopen its theaters on December 15 so it was the release day for WW1984 but as the number of infections stopped decreasing and flattened the government delayed the reopening of cultural venues by 3 weeks, so no WW1984 before January here, at best.

And there's no HBO Max here so whatever happens I don't expect it to be big in France 😕

Sad because I really liked the 1st movie!

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Give people a legal option to watch it at home and they’ll likely take it.

No, they won't. Not for 20-30 USD. 

When will you people stop making this argument? For PVOD to work outside the US, you need a whole cultural shift from consumers that not even COVID can accomplish. 

People will pay 10 dollars for a streaming service with a decent catalogue. In Central and Eastern Europe (hell, even most of Western), Asia, South America, they will NOT pay double or more of that to just watch one movie when they can just torrent it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

No, they won't. Not for 20-30 USD. 

When will you people stop making this argument? For PVOD to work outside the US, you need a whole cultural shift from consumers that not even COVID can accomplish. 

People will pay 10 dollars for a streaming service with a decent catalogue. In Central and Eastern Europe (hell, even most of Western), Asia, South America, they will NOT pay double or more of that to just watch one movie when they can just torrent it. 

I’m not saying piracy wouldn’t still be an issue, but if the option of watching it legally were still there I’m sure it’d be worthwhile for WB to do it, not everyone knows how to acquire it via torrents. Giving people the only option but to torrent it will backfire on them spectacularly with the majority of cinemas closed, offer a legal option and they’d still make at least a bit of money.

I’m talking about the UK here as well, I know that PVOD would be a mostly lost cause in places like Asia.

I’m really wondering if they’re actually not gonna have the Roku deal done by the time this comes out cause it seems like it’s almost getting too late already.

Putting a massive movie on Max to boost subs and not having it available to the widest audience is pretty stupid.

I would ask how dumb one company can be but we already know the answer.

• Like 4