kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

As has been mentioned already Disney is a far larger company by market value and has been like that most do the year. Disney also only has about $60B in debt vs the $170B+ for AT&T but I doubt either company would be legally allowed to purchase the other (maybe it’s possible with major divestitures but then you are not getting what you would want) 

More likely that another major tech company (Apple, Google, Microsoft or Amazon) would purchase either of these two as they are the only ones big enough to do so and it would be more horizontal than vertical integration. However I feel that also unlikely to happen, at least any time soon.

• Like 1

FWIW Disney market cap was pretty stable around 160B for 2016-2018, whereas AT&T hovered in the 200-250B range. Disney being bigger is a recent development that see,s related to Wall Street liking what they see from Disney’s DTC pivot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

FWIW Disney market cap was pretty stable around 160B for 2016-2018, whereas AT&T hovered in the 200-250B range. Disney being bigger is a recent development that see,s related to Wall Street liking what they see from Disney’s DTC pivot.

Probably as much to do with Wall Street hating the Warner Media acquisition as it is them loving the DTC move by Disney.

Stock fell hard for AT&T from January 2018 (when the deal was looking somewhat unlikely) to June 2018 when it was approved.

3 hours ago, Jamiem said:

How much marketing in the US has there been? TV Spots? Have people been getting YouTube Trailers? 

And has it been heavily promoting HBO MAX or is it just a little flash on the screen at the end?

Yes, on TV I've been seeing a lot.  Also copious AT&T commercials for home service that are cross-promoting HBOMax and WW84.  It all just ramped up in December.  

"December 25th -- In Theaters and on HBOMax"  

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

Just rewatched the first film in 4K in prep for next Sunday. I’m so excited now. That first film really is terrific. 

Someone asked about adverts, I’ve had TV spots here in the UK during some big shows (I’m A Celebrity - 10-11m) but the problem is so few cinemas are open. It’ll play for 1 month in cinemas in the UK, but I doubt more will be open soon 

• Like 1

AT&T is a much bigger company than Disney. Take a look at the, net income, total equity and the revenue. 

Back on topic, I am still not over how stupid this decision was by AT&T. They just don’t care about the movie industry. That is abundantly clear. Although, I don’t think they would have ever done this to The Batman! I am sickened by this decision. We’ve had to endure so much with this pandemic. I was looking forward to celebrating my return to the movie theaters in the summer by seeing this movie. It would have had a great run. 

52 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

AT&T is a much bigger company than Disney. Take a look at the, net income, total equity

and the revenue. 

That has very little to do with an acquisition of a publicly traded company (which was the discussion) as stockholders will want more than the current share price and there is no way AT&T is going to pony up $300B+ when they already have $170-180B in debt right now.

Also Revenue is bigger sure but pre pandemic Net Income was trending very close (AT&T moving rapidly downward from 2016-2017 peaks and Disney remaining fairly flat) between the two companies (obviously Disney got hit hard this fiscal year) 

52 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Back on topic, I am still not over how stupid this decision was by AT&T. They just don’t care about the movie industry. That is abundantly clear. Although, I don’t think they would have ever done this to The Batman! I am sickened by this decision. We’ve had to endure so much with this pandemic. I was looking forward to celebrating my return to the movie theaters in the summer by seeing this movie. It would have had a great run. 

I’m glad The Batman was moved back as I don’t have the same confidence you do that they wouldn’t have down this to The Batman, hopefully this experiment fails or at least underperforms so we get a more traditional release structure for 2022.

Edited by Jamiem

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Just rewatched the first film in 4K in prep for next Sunday. I’m so excited now. That first film really is terrific. 

Someone asked about adverts, I’ve had TV spots here in the UK during some big shows (I’m A Celebrity - 10-11m) but the problem is so few cinemas are open. It’ll play for 1 month in cinemas in the UK, but I doubt more will be open soon 

My father’s reaction to seeing the trailer on TV with the “in cinemas December 16th” part was along the lines of “are they having a laugh? Nowhere’s open!”. This is going to bomb so hard in the UK, even if they get lucky in London and are somehow spared Tier 3 later this week it’ll still be struggling to make anything considering more areas are rumoured to be going into Tier 3 than there are areas moving down to the more cinema friendly Tier 2.

I agree about the original film really holding up though, I rewatched it myself the other day and it’s just great from start to finish. The No Man’s Land scene and everything after that in the village is fantastic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

In a non-COVID world, this probably would’ve made less money domestically than the first, but more money overseas. I don’t think it would’ve hit a billion, but we’ll never know for sure. 

The Hunger Games which is the most similar franchise that I can think of (maybe Frozen?) made close to the first Wonder Woman DOM and went on to have a sequel that increased on its DOM total. Captain Marvel numbers were probably in the mix for DOM or even 500M. We'll never know for sure.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I've seen 1 advert.

Likelyhood is that London will shut down on the 19th. So it had 3 days to make bank.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

I've seen 1 advert.

Likelyhood is that London will shut down on the 19th. So it had 3 days to make bank.

Yeh I don’t think it’ll be making any bank. Last weekends #1 made £44k. 

Basically no Scotland, no Ireland and a small amount of English cinemas. I’m just glad I get to see it. I think the plan is to go to sky box office on the 16th January. Then I’m guessing disc in March?