kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Wait, what’s wrong with a 67 metacritic score? Some people are really doing the mostest trying to take away the one bright spot for the movie during this entire fiasco created by AT&T. The movie is well received thus far. FULL STOP! 

Nothings wrong with it at all.

My point was, critics aren’t being “easy” on the movie because it has 89 or whatever on RT. The first Wonder Woman is 76 on metacritic and this one is 67 which means it’s not as well received as the first(which is fine). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Deadline forecasting a $60-70 million international opening weekend when the original film opened to $73 million in like for like markets seems...overly enthusiastic?

I wasn’t expecting $70m total at this point, aren’t most markets closed? 

16 hours ago, Fielding said:

but doesn't young Diana's participation in the tournament contradict the first film?

not necessarily 

in the first film it was about her mother didn‘t want her fighting focused, especially that early.

This is sport, see also some similarity to Olympia.

I also think Diana is three years older in the flash-backs in this one (the actress playing young Diana is the same, in the first one she is listed as Diana (8), three years between the movies...), so some details might have changed regarding fighting too anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Deadline forecasting a $60-70 million international opening weekend when the original film opened to $73 million in like for like markets seems...overly enthusiastic?

Maybe they expected a larger opening from China but it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen. Looks like this will open to less then the first in China. 

30 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Everywhere theatres are closed, if this made 60-70M in total will be a miracle

34 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Maybe they expected a larger opening from China but it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen. Looks like this will open to less then the first in China. 

I read somewhere that China sabotaged it by moving one of its anticipated local films into the same slot.

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Lots of complaints in many of the “positive” reviews, more than usual.

Way too long
Bad VFX
Convoluted and messy plot
Disappointing 3rd act/Climax

More or less like the first movie . I'm hyped but think critics are going a bit soft on this one simply because it’s providing escapism at the end of a bad year.

Those complaints are all valid.  Its at least 45 minutes too long the 3rd act is a mess and kind of stupid and the Effects are not great and they take place in the dark to hide this.  The first movie was much more enjoyable and had the iconic battlefield set piece which nothing in this movie comes close to having.  It was a cheat how Chris Penn returned but all of his scenes and interactions with Gaddot where worth it and this is easily the strongest part of the movie.  I was disappointed by the movie but I am not sure I was the intended audience I think this was aimed more at kids and if you have kids under probably about 14 they will probably really love it.

2 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

A couple of the reviews do mention how the smaller scale on TV seemed to impact their enjoyment of the movie, which makes sense to me.  It is what it is, but something like that probably does suffer a lot from being examined from your sofa instead of in a darkened theater with a huge screen and excited audience.  The vibe is very much not the same. I know I've loved things in theaters and then watched them at home and wondered what I had been smoking to make me think the movie was good.  Maybe that's one reason they're a little forgiving on things?

I saw this in an Imax and I honestly do not see where that criticism comes.  There is less of a need to see this in Imax than the first one or an Aquaman there just was not a set piece or sequence that screamed big screen like the battlefield sequence of the first one.  

5 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Those complaints are all valid.  Its at least 45 minutes too long the 3rd act is a mess and kind of stupid and the Effects are not great and they take place in the dark to hide this.  The first movie was much more enjoyable and had the iconic battlefield set piece which nothing in this movie comes close to having.  It was a cheat how Chris Penn returned but all of his scenes and interactions with Gaddot where worth it and this is easily the strongest part of the movie.  I was disappointed by the movie but I am not sure I was the intended audience I think this was aimed more at kids and if you have kids under probably about 14 they will probably really love it.

They brought Chris Penn back from the dead??  That must be the "wild leap" that people are referring to Jenkins taking!!  😂

quentin tarantino 90s GIF by FilmStruck

Edited by Macleod
  • Haha 3

Queen Street, New Zealand Early Screening - Wednesday 23rd December, 6 days before 

7:00pm IMAX 150/301 (+26) 

Albany, New Zealand Early Screening - Wednesday 23rd December, 6 days before

7:00pm VMAX 97/185 (+34)

Sales are still strong for the early screening, looking like they will either be sold out or very close to it. 

Also on a more personal note I’m glad I got my VMAX tickets a couple of days ago as most of the good seats are gone now. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I've seen it! Everyone nailed it: Gal, Kristen, Pedro, Patty.

Zimmer had the audacity to do one of his best works wow what a musician. The sound mixing/editing in this is incredible.

I was impressed at how many people she moved to see her here. I wasn't expecting this at all.

And yes I found it better than the first one.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I've seen it! Everyone nailed it: Gal, Kristen, Pedro, Patty.

Zimmer had the audacity to do one of his best works wow what a musician. The sound mixing/editing in this is incredible.

I was impressed at how many people she moved to see her here. I wasn't expecting this at all.

And yes I found it better than the first one.

Did Chris phone it in? :sparta:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I’ve been listening to the score today and it is very, very good. It’s classic Zimmer though, so as good as it is, I somehow doubt he gets the Oscar, it’s more of a perfection of his style than a reinvention.

Dont take that as me being negative though, it’s a fantastic score and I hope he plays some of it at his tour next year!