kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

13 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

WW1 OS-C  320M
Joker OS-C 740M  

What does this mean? Joker came after the first WW. Before the first WW, DC had a rep of releasing crap. Their reputation is much better now. Under normal circumstances, actors and studios would be putting in work. Meaning there would be red carpets, fan interaction, press junkets, full throttle adverts... Nothing is normal right now. Nothing leads me to believe that this movie would not have done gangbusters. China would be icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

And that was absolutely crazy, but it’s highly unlikely that this movie would’ve had the same luck. Unfortunately, the first movie was not a big hit overseas, and this movie seems to be making even less in China and Japan compared to that one. 

If that thought helps you sleep at night, have at it.😂😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Such a reaction is normal for the Chinese audiences! They like seeing a couple of dudes punching the shit out of each other!! This is much more character driven from what I gather and I appreciate it for it.

You know you don’t have to be condescending to other people and cultures because they don’t like a kids movie you like

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

What does this mean?

It means that in 2020 it is still very hard to hit 1B without a strong China contribution, and nothing about the first one’s performance (or this one’s so far in markets that are operating normally) provides good reason to believe it would have gotten there.

350 DOM+50 C + 500 OS-C or something would have been a great performance for a sequel to an 820M grosser. I don’t understand why people feel so compelled to argue that it would have gotten 1B when very little points in that direction.

1 minute ago, WandaLegion said:

It means that in 2020 it is still very hard to hit 1B without a strong China contribution, and nothing about the first one’s performance (or this one’s so far in markets that are operating normally) provides good reason to believe it would have gotten there.

What huge markets other than China and some Asian markets are functioning even close to normally? I think the Chinese box office would have been better in normal times as well. Maybe 80-100 million. This movie did not have the kind of roll out that can lead to any sort of extrapolations as to how it would have performed under normal circumstances. Even in markets that are not shut down, there have been no fan events, no red carpets, no full throttle adverts. So although WW84 likely would not have grown substantially in China or other Asian markets, I think it would have grown elsewhere in the world including the US. 

3 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

350 DOM+50 C + 500 OS-C or something would have been a great performance for a sequel to an 820M grosser. I don’t understand why people feel so compelled to argue that it would have gotten 1B when very little points in that direction.

The same reason people who feel it DEFINITELY would not have made it. Also with not much to show for proof. I think it would have made 1B, but I didn’t say definite. Those of you who say no seem to have a looking glass which can forecast things in a no Covid world. 

7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I think this particular movie speaks to female empowerment a lot more than Captain marvel which did incredibly well. Additionally I think the production quality was expected to be very high-end with high praise and intense demand. I certainly don't think it's impossible that it would have been below 1 billion but I think it could have been higher too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

What does this mean? Joker came after the first WW. Before the first WW, DC had a rep of releasing crap. Their reputation is much better now. Under normal circumstances, actors and studios would be putting in work. Meaning there would be red carpets, fan interaction, press junkets, full throttle adverts... Nothing is normal right now. Nothing leads me to believe that this movie would not have done gangbusters. China would be icing on the cake. 

An increase in goodwill won't cause WW84 to more than double it's predesccor's OS-China gross. Plus if your argument is brand damage, how come it didn't affect its domestic gross. And Aquaman managed to do better than WW OS-China coming off of Justice League too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

What huge markets other than China and some Asian markets are functioning even close to normally

None. When I mentioned markets operating normally I just meant China, Taiwan, and Japan (there may be another couple small Asian ones I’m not aware of). It is indeed a pretty small and geographically biased set, so I don’t want to draw any super strong conclusions from it — but certainly, in the world where it was doing better than WW1 in those markets the argument that it would have made 1B in normal conditions would be much more natural.    

I agree that even in those it’s being hurt by lack of normal promotion activities. But even if you give it like 80 in China and 430 DOM, you end up needing more than a 50% boost OS-C to hit 1B. That is very rare for sequels. All I’m saying is that 1B is a big lift for a sequel to an 820M grosser without the help of a big China *increase,* which probably wasn’t in the cards even in non-covid timelines.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I think this particular movie speaks to female empowerment a lot more than Captain marvel which did incredibly well. Additionally I think the production quality was expected to be very high-end with high praise and intense demand. I certainly don't think it's impossible that it would have been below 1 billion but I think it could have been higher too.

But CM didn’t hit 1.1B because of female empowerment, it hit 1.1B because of 30 seconds at the end of a 2B grosser.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Karga said:

You know you don’t have to be condescending to other people and cultures because they don’t like a kids movie you like

I didn't mean to say it in a condescending  way. I meant that Chinese audiences like their fans share of action sequences and CGI in their movies. Nothing wrong with that. A film like WW84 which is very character driven would not appeal to them anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Joker was quite different from a usual superhero film and was marketed as such, which allowed it to draw new audiences. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

None. When I mentioned markets operating normally I just meant China, Taiwan, and Japan (there may be another couple small Asian ones I’m not aware of). It is indeed a pretty small and geographically biased set, so I don’t want to draw any super strong conclusions from it — but certainly, in the world where it was doing better than WW1 in those markets the argument that it would have made 1B in normal conditions would be much more natural.    

I agree that even in those it’s being hurt by lack of normal promotion activities. But even if you give it like 80 in China and 430 DOM, you end up needing more than a 50% boost OS-C to hit 1B. That is very rare for sequels. All I’m saying is that 1B is a big lift for a sequel to an 820M grosser without the help of a big China *increase,* which probably wasn’t in the cards even in non-covid timelines.

I agree honestly.

I definitely expected this movie to increase from the first and thought it could potentially make a billion but it needed a decent increase in China. Judging by reception in China that just shows at least imo a billion wasn’t in the cards. 

• Thanks 1

Going to copy paste the whole thing today as sales have been very decent here, important to note that sales for Boxing Day are trending ahead of the likes of BoP, IT Chapter 2 and Hobbs and Shaw but unsurprisingly way behind the mega blockbusters like Frozen II, TRoS and TLK. Early screenings are doing very well. 

Queen Street Early Screening, 4 days before.

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm IMAX 192/301 (+28)

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (4 days before early screenings, 7 days before opening day)

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm VMAX 129/185 (+4)

7;00pm VMAX 21/133 (+21) (NEW)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 4/133

10:45am VMAX 9/185 (+2)

10:45am GC 8/30 (+6)

12:45pm GC 15/40

1:15pm VMAX 14/133 (+6)

2:00pm VMAX 17/185

2:00pm GC 13/30

4:10pm GC 21/40 (+4)

4:30pm VMAX 4/133

5:15pm VMAX 14/185

5:15pm GC 25/30 (+4)

7:30pm GC 30/40 (+2)

7:45pm VMAX 12/133 (+2)

8:30pm VMAX 32/185 (+5)

8:30pm GC 18/30

Total: 236/1552 (+31)

The smaller VMAX has been added to Albany for the early screening is a great sign that demand is there. Albany Boxing Day and the Queen Street IMAX also had good days. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

This is fair. This is a reasoned opinion rather than wishful thinking that some on this site love to do.  

14 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

This is fair. This is a reasoned opinion rather than wishful thinking that some on this site love to do.  

I’m out of emotes, but consider this a Leo.   

And to be clear I’m not saying it would be impossible in normal times. Counterfactuals are intrinsically pretty tough, and if I think it would have a ~900M movie or something — well, 1B is not that big a % away. It just looks like it would have needed a lot of things to go right WW-C.

• Like 1