kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

'Wonder Woman 1984' Opens to Woeful $18.8M in China for $38.5M Foreign Start

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-wonder-woman-1984-opens-to-woeful-18-8m-in-china-for-38-5m-foreign-start

Damn. Global box office for this film could be less than $150 million. I can't imagine, even with the increase in subs to HBO Max, that this thing is going to be profitable. 

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

'Wonder Woman 1984' Opens to Woeful $18.8M in China for $38.5M Foreign Start

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-wonder-woman-1984-opens-to-woeful-18-8m-in-china-for-38-5m-foreign-start

I love the first WW and i was rooting for this one too, but i can't say i'm mad at these numbers. That's what WB deserves for not delaying the movie.

• Like 2

Eh like Soderbergh said, you can't just keep delaying movies. It's just a matter of how much money do you want to lose. For some reason people think that the budget doesn't increase after each delay. If that was the case, Paramount would've held on to the movies they sold this year.

Edited by BeastByTheBay
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

I’m not sure there will be a #3

There will be. Just like there will be more Christopher Nolan films. The character of Wonder Woman is popular, the first film was huge, and WB aren’t going to write off a potential third film due to the severely hobbled performance of WW84. The film isn’t to blame here, and WB know this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

But... you, ahh... you can, though.

He's right. Not when you're Paramount. They basically sold most of their movies. What do they have left....A Quiet Place and Top Gun 2. and i'm scared for AQP2

However, WB could have afforded to wait

Edited by Maggie

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I just can’t see Patty coming back for #3 with the whole WB situation, her comments on her pay, and going to Lucas for Rogue Squadron 

Then you get someone else. Patty isn't the only one capable of making a good WW movie

That spinoff is dead if she leaves though. She's been the one pushing for it

1 hour ago, Wonder89 said:

WarnerMedia wants one. It's one of the reasons why Patty and Gal got paid so much

*Looks like the Queen Street IMAX session may have been removed I'll leave it there for the next day in case it reappears but its very strange.* 

Queen Street Early Screening, 3 days before.

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm IMAX 201/301 (seemingly removed)

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (3 days before early screenings, 6 days before opening day)

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm VMAX 150/185 (+18)

7:00pm VMAX 82/133 (+32)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 8/133 (+4)

10:45am VMAX 11/185 (+2)

10:45am GC 15/30 (+4)

12:45pm GC 24/40

1:15pm VMAX 14/133

2:00pm VMAX 17/185

2:00pm GC 23/30 (+2)

4:10pm GC 27/40

4:30pm VMAX 6/133 (+2)

5:15pm VMAX 14/185

5:15pm GC 25/30

7:30pm GC 34/40 (+2)

7:45pm VMAX 18/133 (+4)

8:30pm VMAX 32/185

8:30pm GC 22/30 (+2)

Total: 290/1552 (+22)

Apart from the disappearance of the Queen Street IMAX early show the early VMAX shows had another very solid day and the Boxing Day sales were again pretty slow.

Edited by Jamiem
  • Thanks 2

I love Patty and hope she comes back for a third film but if she doesn’t and WB wants to make a third movie I’m sure they can find a more then capable female director to make the movie, there are lots out there. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wonder89 said:

I’ve heard a third was written into the upfront additional deals Patty & Gal received a few weeks ago instead of their back-end and apparently an extra $10m each. 

I’m open to someone new having a shot with the third film if Patty doesn’t want to do it. She could always produce or still write it 

Wow, what a flop. 

The numbers are awful, even worse when you compare them to what the Croods 2 did in China just a couple of weeks ago.

However, I think people have always been delusional about the first WW 's popularity WorldWide. 

When you look at comparable superhero movies, Wonder Woman performed well in:

UK (28 mil)

France (16 mil)

Mexico ( 22 mil)

Brazil (33 mil) 

Australia (23 mil)

Those 5 markets + China (90 mil) made about 50 % of the total 400 milions WW earned Overseas.

This, coupled with serious under performances in comic-books friendly countries like Italy, clearly shows that the  Wonder Woman franchise only appeals to the Anglo-sphere + Us influenced Mexico/Brazil. 

And  even before  Corona, one couldn't expect a great success if a movie doesn't perform well in countries like Russia, Japan, SK and the European big 5. No way this would have hit 1 Billion, even in a normal situation. 

Now come fight me 🤣

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Now imagine being the director of, say, Dune, and looking at what this 4 quadrant blockbuster is doing, and then think about how WB kneecapped your box office returns already

That movie is going to bomb no matter what. If released in current scenario, it would have done no more than 30M worldwide.

• Like 1