kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

45 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s very naive of you. 

Asia is a huge piracy concern. 

It's a huge piracy concern when the movie is already released online, but it's not yet. I'm just saying that a lot less average folks are aware of HBO Max than many people think, especially in China.

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Of 2017 maybe 

Wonder woman came out at the perfect time during the height of the MeToo campaign. It benefitted greatly from being one of the first female Solo Superheroe movies and the character is hugely iconic. 4 years later and it doesn't have those same advantages and its certainly not see as top tier like TDK etc

The MeToo movement didn’t truly take off until the Harvey Weinstein exposé, which was after WW was released.

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Of 2017 maybe 

Wonder woman came out at the perfect time during the height of the MeToo campaign. It benefitted greatly from being one of the first female Solo Superheroe movies and the character is hugely iconic. 4 years later and it doesn't have those same advantages and its certainly not see as top tier like TDK etc

Jesus. These people are scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Wonder Woman had a 4x multiplier because of... a Harvey Weinstein story that broke 4 months after the film was released?!? 

Get a grip. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Moderation

@Chicago has been threadbanned for 72 hours for purporting a lot of sexist nonsense.

@Firepower You are also on very thin ice at the moment, because it seems to me you're just here to troll.

If you gentlemen don't like what this stuff, just a reminder that you don't have to post here. We aren't the only place on the Internet where you can talk about Wonder Woman.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17.000 tickets sold here on OW with over half the country on lockdown in the weekend and popcorn being forbidden in movie theaters. The first one sold 44.000 tickets on OW. I was expecting far worse and now I am hoping that it shows some legs even with the movie dropping online this Friday. Unfortunately the situation with the lockdowns won't get better, especially in the New Years Weekend where 100% of the country will be on lockdown. Theaters will be closed from December 31 until January 3.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

This is looking like it's gonna finish with a sub-$200M worldwide total. Would've seemed crazy even back in early March that this would finish below Birds of Prey (which itself was considered a major underperformer), but that's 2020 in a nutshell for you. They should've just pulled a Fast 9 and delayed it a whole year once the shit was starting to hit the fan.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

This is looking like it's gonna finish with a sub-$200M worldwide total. Would've seemed crazy even back in early March that this would finish below Birds of Prey (which itself was considered a major underperformer), but that's 2020 in a nutshell for you.

´The world is mostly closed and the movie will be available online in a few days. It was easy to see coming since they announced their plans.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

´The world is mostly closed and the movie will be available online in a few days. It was easy to see coming since they announced their plans.

This is accurate. Also the fact they pretty much spent the marketing budget throughout the year from all the date changes meant that it had become a write-off with no chance of profitability and had to cut their losses by the time of the announcement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Looked headed for more of a 200-350 until China collapsed.

You ever thought China was going to provide $150m? I just assumed it would drop. 

Anyway, I’m so glad I got to see this yesterday because there’s yet another announcement in about 45 minutes for the UK. We’re a write off now box office wise, the film hits PVOD on 13th January but I can see it being brought forward. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This is accurate. Also the fact they pretty much spent the marketing budget throughout the year from all the date changes meant that it had become a write-off with no chance of profitability and had to cut their losses by the time of the announcement.

I second this. There is also the factor that box office is not recovering in the immediate future. The outlook for all or most of next year is not looking good. Will theaters rebound in the second half of 2021? Will they rebound to previous levels at any point in the next few years? We don't know.

The only possible way WB was going to avoid losing money on WW84 was to delay it for an indefinite amount of time until it could make that 800M or more globally that the first film did. I don't think anyone really knows when that will become a realistic possibility. Plus, there are risks holding a movie that long. Better to get it out now and take the tax write-off.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You ever thought China was going to provide $150m? I just assumed it would drop. 

Anyway, I’m so glad I got to see this yesterday because there’s yet another announcement in about 45 minutes for the UK. We’re a write off now box office wise, the film hits PVOD on 13th January but I can see it being brought forward. 

Fingers crossed for a Christmas Day surprise. Surely even the exhibitors that pushed for a month of UK theatrical exclusivity can see that holding it back isn’t benefitting anyone if the vast majority of theatres are closed.

oh wow the people who spent the last two years saying that Patty's career in Hollywood would be over after this movie because of a allegedly bad screenings are on fire pretending that we don't live in a pandemic anymore. You really hate to see women winning in any circumstances.

Btw, brazilian press is shocked at how she grossed BRL 8.5 million  (1.7 million USD) here with the number of theatres available. São Paulo had 48 cinemas available and most of them were sold out this weekend (new corona cases are increasing a lot, biggest daily numbers since the mid year).

Mulher-Maravilha 1984 faz US$ 1,7 milhão em estreia no Brasil, diz revista - 20/12/2020 - UOL Splash

I saw it again on Saturday and it was sold out.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, belblazer said:

oh wow the people who spent the last two years saying that Patty's career in Hollywood would be over after this movie because of a allegedly bad screenings are on fire pretending that we don't live in a pandemic anymore. You really hate to see women winning in any circumstances.

Oof, what a paragraph.

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

WB ain't reporting box office properly and they reported PS. That would be weird.

Not seeing any official report either. What is this guy talking about.

Not sure but he’s pretty good at giving out box office info on Twitter. I haven’t seen it anywhere else yet either though. 

• Like 1