kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

*Have removed Queen Street as the seen has not reappeared*

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (1 days before early screenings, 4 days before opening day)

Wednesday 23rd December

7:00pm VMAX 159/185 (+9)

7:00pm VMAX 101/133 (+19)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 8/133

10:45am VMAX 19/185 (+8)

10:45am GC 21/30 (+6)

12:00pm 12/216 (NEW)

12:45pm GC 24/40

1:15pm VMAX 14/133

2:00pm VMAX 17/185

2:00pm GC 23/30

3:10pm 11/216 (NEW)

4:10pm GC 27/40

4:30pm VMAX 6/133

5:15pm VMAX 14/185

5:15pm GC 25/30

6:30pm 9/216 (NEW)

7:30pm GC 34/40

7:45pm VMAX 19/133 (+1)

8:15pm 13/216 (NEW)

8:30pm VMAX 32/185

8:30pm GC 22/30

Total: 350/2416 (+60)

Early VMAX is very close to capacity which is excellent too bad about the IMAX screening Queen Street as it was heading in the same direction. Boxing Day got a boost from 4 regular screenings being added but apart from that another slower day hopefully it picks up after the early screenings come and go.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Ugh. The usual suspects on YouTube are trying to pin this movie’s low box office numbers as a result of it being “woke” and “anti-Trump”, even though I’m pretty sure that people in China don’t give a crap about that stuff. 

This is what was said in the China thread about why people didn’t like the movie. 

On 12/17/2020 at 7:51 PM, Gavin Feng said:

many who saw midnights felt they were deceived --

not a real superhero movie, more like some kind of rom-comedy. 

too long with 150 mins

endless talking instead of fighting.

director/writers keep telling audience how to love, so narcissistic

just like TENET, it's not a blockbuster people expected. They want to experience something epic, but neither of them have that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This is what was said in the China thread about why people didn’t like the movie. 

That’s what I figured was the reason it’s doing poorly in China. China generally likes superhero movies that are full of action and cool set pieces. That’s why Aquaman did so well over there. 

It’s not like China doesn’t care about emotional substance, they just didn’t think this movie had that either.   

Which does not tell us much either way about what a bunch of other countries that aren’t China will think.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

It’s not like China doesn’t care about emotional substance, they just didn’t think this movie had that either.   

Which does not tell us much either way about what a bunch of other countries that aren’t China will think.

Lack of emotional substance doesn’t seem to be listed as one of the complaints. I’m not saying people in China don’t care about that, but it definitely sounds like their disappointment is primarily because they were expecting a big epic action movie, and not a “rom com.”

Just for clarification, I wasn’t implying what China likes or doesn’t like or if that’s a good or bad thing. I just linked what was said.

With that said I don’t really feel the need to dwell on what happened to

this movie in  China. Things will hit big (like Aquaman) there and things won’t (like this and shazam) not much you can do about it.  

The only thing I take from this situation in China is I don’t think this movie would of hit a billion with the performance there in normal times.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That’s what I figured was the reason it’s doing poorly in China. China generally likes superhero movies that are full of action and cool set pieces. That’s why Aquaman did so well over there. 

Endgame didn't have much action and was well received and a hit in China. Having an "epic" feel is different from having a lot of action. Sometimes things just don't translate well between different cultures/expectations.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

With that said I don’t really feel the need to dwell on what happened to

this movie in  China. Things will hit big (like Aquaman) there and things won’t (like this and shazam) not much you can do about it.  

^^^   

We’ll get a bunch of new markets this weekend that will almost assuredly receive it much better than China. That’s probably what it’s better to focus on at this point — especially for people who are really rooting for it.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2