kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just so we’re clear, I have no trouble believing that people in China genuinely don’t like this movie. I just needed to vent my frustration regarding the clickbait YouTube videos that are trying to suggest that this movie’s low box office performance is because it’s “anti-Trump propaganda”, just because they’re salty that Maxwell Lord kind of looks like him. Apparently, these people are unaware that the evil businessman has been a common trope in fiction for a long time. 

• Like 1

I wonder what reactions will be in the US when it's released in 3 days. Anyone else thinks people will be softer on these movies released to streaming? I think people may not be as hard on these movies because they are not directly paying for them. I'm always surprised how many tv shows have such high ratings. And usually films on streaming are lower quality. To have a movie intended for theaters release on streaming is huge

7 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

It’s not like China doesn’t care about emotional substance, they just didn’t think this movie had that either.   

Which does not tell us much either way about what a bunch of other countries that aren’t China will think.

>90% of the screens in China show the dubbed version, 

this might effect movies with lot of dialogue as the intent might be lost in translation.

foreign comedy also doesn't translate well

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoolK said:

These are shockingly low numbers in some markets(which recovered better from COVID)

Wondy's popularity is overestimated like Harley Quinn to be or WW 1984 isnt that good? 

Isn’t it basically just China and Japan at this point? I mean, in fairness, the first movie didn’t do fantastic business in either of those places either. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Isn’t it basically just China and Japan at this point?

Yeah, plus Taiwan which actually opened pretty well.   

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I mean, in fairness, the first movie didn’t do fantastic business in either of those places either. 

Yes, but the drops of ~67% and ~50% are still pretty brutal. Not to mention that as the least covid impacted markets right now, a film’s performance in those regions is of unusual importance.   

However, this is ultimately a loss leader for Max subs. That’s where WB’s evaluation of its performance will live or die, I guess.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

I wonder what reactions will be in the US when it's released in 3 days. Anyone else thinks people will be softer on these movies released to streaming? I think people may not be as hard on these movies because they are not directly paying for them. I'm always surprised how many tv shows have such high ratings. And usually films on streaming are lower quality. To have a movie intended for theaters release on streaming is huge

Nah I watched The Crow Wicked Prayer for the first time last night(on hbo max) and I thought the movie was just as much garbage as if I had paid to see it in a theater.

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

What is with all the Jenkins hate in the previous pages. She’s a wonderful person and a talented director and y’all are out of your minds.

I don’t know anything about her as a person, but I could swear that for the past three and a half years, people on the Internet had nothing but praise for her. Even YouTube weirdos like Geeks + Gamers and The Quartering supposedly liked her. 

On 12/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, DlAMONDZ said:

Is there a specific time for when this drops on MAX? I'm assuming as soon as it hits midnight it'll be available

9 am pacific time, 12 pm eastern time.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Is this film even being marketed in the US? The international numbers so far show that there's a huge marketing and anticipation problem.

Yeah I’ve seen some ads with critic quotes in it advertising it as in theaters and on HBO max.