kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

What is with all the Jenkins hate in the previous pages. She’s a wonderful person and a talented director and y’all are out of your minds.

Yea some of the takes I was reading on the last few pages were terrible.  These are the people that already had their mind made up about the film before even seeing it though. 

Edited by Knights of Ren
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was told its opposite. Only Tier C & D cities get dub. @Gavin Feng ?

most showtimes are original version with subtitle. Chinese audience don't see dubbed version of Hollywood movies. Even in recent years, local movies and Chinese language things are getting stronger here, there's still no trend that dubbed version of Hollywood movies is accepted by more and more people. Local people think you are either absolute Chinese movies or pure Hollywood stuffs. Hybridized works have little potential to make money here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

most showtimes are original version with subtitle. Chinese audience don't see dubbed version of Hollywood movies. Even in recent years, local movies and Chinese language things are getting stronger here, there's still no trend that dubbed version of Hollywood movies is accepted by more and more people. Local people think you are either absolute Chinese movies or pure Hollywood stuffs. Hybridized works have little potential to make money here.

In all honesty, I think I’d prefer that over dubbing something into a foreign language, at least as far as live action movies are concerned. Parasite wasn't dubbed in English, and that did fine in North America. 

What happened on WW84 in China is more complicated than usual. It's not just about WOM, marketing or competitions. 

If a WB or any other Hollywood title bomb here, studios would analyse the reasons and let some people take the responsibilities of flop. But in the case of WW84, WB don't even know who they should blame, because the bad performance couldn't be explained by those negative factors only. People from data firms, film distributions keep producing new theories to explain the situation they believe they never saw. And some of them have feelings that more and more Hollywood blockbusters would face the similar situations.

For me personally, I don't enjoy WW84. I'm not against adding rom-comedy elements in blockbuster, and I actually wanna see more of these things that Hollywood don't usually do in todays world. They did use lots of length to do in that way, but most were unnecessary and didn't bring better experience. I do even love Blade Runner 2049 type slow pace that general audience can't, but WW84 feels like a work Patty didn't use her full power to make. I understand all those good reviews and reactions, but I just believe WW84 could be better even a masterpiece. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I just want to know one thing. Does this movie have enough action scenes to enjoy? If yes, how many action scenes in total? Are they as good as the first movie?

@Gavin Feng

Not very much. Just like what audience said

Spoiler

All highlights of action parts were in trailers

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

my bad..i remember reading on this forum that it was the case...may be i misread

thanks for correcting

Did WW had action? 

There was one No Man Land scene which was pretty good but other than that, first ome was a massacre of Amazons and then the 3rd act which was ugh.

The strongest point of WW for me was Gal Gadot and how WW as character catch up with real world. That's it. 

Action sure can be a plus but I think emotion is what make a film work. If the film connect with that audience, action is just cherry on top.

Think of Cap lifting mjolnir. For action pov, its just a man getting a hammer. But its the emotion/connection that has been set with Mjolnir & characters that make that scene work.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Patty Jenkins is the single best thing to happen to the DCEU. She single-handedly saved it from collapsing in on itself with the release of WW - which I still consider one of the most heartwarming and optimistic blockbusters of the 2000s. It has its flaws, but it's so full of heart with great characters. 

I can't wait for WW1984. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

I just want to know one thing. Does this movie have enough action scenes to enjoy? If yes, how many action scenes in total? Are they as good as the first movie?

@Gavin Feng

It’s epic in scale. If it’s just fighting you’re looking for, there’s plenty. And they look expensive; the money is actually on screen here, unlike some other superhero films. 

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The strongest point of WW for me was Gal Gadot and how WW as character catch up with real world. That's it. 

Action sure can be a plus but I think emotion is what make a film work. If the film connect with that audience, action is just cherry on top.

You should enjoy WW84 then. There’s a scene in the middle that’s been kept from the trailers and it’s very emotional and then has a huge euphoric punch. This films equivalent of No Man’s Land, I’d say. I really didn’t see it coming. 

• Like 3

This movie is the Iron Man 2 of the DCEU. Worse than the first movie, boring, irritating, messy, weak third act ( first Wonder Woman also had this problem, but here it was worse imo ).

I actually had a better time watching Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad was bad but it was fun and made me laugh. Gal is still great, so she wasn't the problem at all, but everything else was very mediocre. 

The long running time didn't help. The story in this movie doesn't require 150 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

What happened on WW84 in China is more complicated than usual. It's not just about WOM, marketing or competitions. 

If a WB or any other Hollywood title bomb here, studios would analyse the reasons and let some people take the responsibilities of flop. But in the case of WW84, WB don't even know who they should blame, because the bad performance couldn't be explained by those negative factors only. People from data firms, film distributions keep producing new theories to explain the situation they believe they never saw. And some of them have feelings that more and more Hollywood blockbusters would face the similar situations.

For me personally, I don't enjoy WW84. I'm not against adding rom-comedy elements in blockbuster, and I actually wanna see more of these things that Hollywood don't usually do in todays world. They did use lots of length to do in that way, but most were unnecessary and didn't bring better experience. I do even love Blade Runner 2049 type slow pace that general audience can't, but WW84 feels like a work Patty didn't use her full power to make. I understand all those good reviews and reactions, but I just believe WW84 could be better even a masterpiece. 

Could anti-American sentiment stemming from Trump constantly calling COVID the “China virus” have anything to do with it? Aside from Tenet which did “okay”, has there actually been a new Hollywood blockbuster that’s done well in China recently?

Caught it a second time today; normal digital 2D with my wife. First time was IMAX on Sat with 5 friends

First viewing was great; 2nd time even better as i start to focus on some details that now made more sense. My wife who is not a fan of superhero films, loved it and teared twice - said it is one of her favourite movies she seen in theaters - gave it 9/10.

And once again, i can definitely understand why people will be disappointed.. It is not the MCU cookie cutter style type of superhero film; and alot of effort (maybe too much?) was spent on built up and dialogue.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1