kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Yeh it’s definitely unique in its pacing. It’s not: battle, introductions, another battle but not too big, hero’s start to falter, then another huge battle to save the day. 

It doesn’t follow the generic formula. Maybe that’s why some are having a hard time with it. 

9 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

I just want to know one thing. Does this movie have enough action scenes to enjoy? If yes, how many action scenes in total? Are they as good as the first movie?

@Gavin Feng

The first movie is better with No Man's Land insanely better than anything in 84.  There are a few action scenes but the movie is way overlong.  If you go in with these expectations you will probably enjoy it.  Gal and Chris are great and great together.  The its the 80s section was much better then Capt Marvels its the 90s section as with the exception of the wardrobe scene they where not shoving hey its 80s thing in your face.

• Thanks 1

Critics who dislike it/are disappointed are generally citing more than just action scenes. There are criticisms of structure and character development as well. Of course I'm not saying people should agree with said criticisms, but it's not as cut-and-dry as the film being "not cookie cutter". 

• Like 2

Whoever says the first movie is not good and dismisses Patty is a fool. The first movie was very good and had a lot of heart. Now, this second one i'll have to watch, but to me from reading some reviews it seems  more aimed at little girls. Not really a bad thing

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Menor said:

Critics who dislike it/are disappointed are generally citing more than just action scenes. There are criticisms of structure and character development as well. Of course I'm not saying people should agree with said criticisms, but it's not as cut-and-dry as the film being "not cookie cutter". 

Since when did people on here start caring about character development in superhero films lol?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

More like that's when they stopped 

A film connect with over 300mn people worldwide is not possible without character development. 

You lot should stop with your anti-superhero films agendas. Don't like them, don't watch them, why even bother discussing them?

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A film connect with over 300mn people worldwide is not possible without character development. 

You lot should stop with your anti-superhero films agendas. Don't like them, don't watch them, why even bother discussing them?

I mean it's happening right now. And I'm watching this day after tomorrow and I'll probably think it's ok. I also have a superhero movie in my top 10 of the year lol. Me saying that these films barely have any character development (I'd say it's even partially due to the constraints of a shared universe) and that's not really what audiences are watching this for isn't anti-superhero.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m sure most of the critics who don’t like this movie have respectable reasons for it, but Christian Toto’s review is a load of crap. 

Lol I read that one after seeing this post and....yeesh. What an awful review. It was more about that guy's political resentments than the film itself. 

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

More like that's when they stopped 

Or maybe people perceive character development where you don't. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean it's happening right now. And I'm watching this day after tomorrow and I'll probably think it's ok. I also have a superhero movie in my top 10 of the year lol. Me saying that these films barely have any character development (I'd say it's even partially due to the constraints of a shared universe) isn't anti-superhero.

I think you might just have a weird idea of character development, or want to have it happen super fast.     

The main appeal of the cinematic universe is getting to see characters develop over a long timespan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, WandaLegion said:

Jeez, didn’t know you disliked TDK so much

Tbf, character development is the weakest part of that film too. And it's not like general audiences were raving about the character development when the film released anyways.

Just now, Menor said:

Or maybe people perceive character development where you don't. 

If people were perceiving character development, they'd in general be talking more about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I think you might just have a weird idea of character development, or want to have it happen super fast.     

The main appeal of the cinematic universe is getting to see characters develop over a long timespan.

Too bad there's barely even much development in these films over a long timespan or within one movie (which isn't "super fast"). I'm not going to write an essay on this but Film Crit Hulk has written a bunch of times about it (his essay on Spiderman homecoming for a starter).

Also, I cannot find a single criticism regarding character development here. It's all plot stuff.

Character development has gone way downhill in superhero films since 2008.  There’s just so much quantity and every character has multiple films so the audience feels like they know them more.  The actual depth in the the films is severely lacking.  Most people only care about action and corny jokes though so it’s not like there’s much motivation to try and flesh them out. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1