kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

I’ve been using it for a couple of hours....the layout looks nice but it’s not functional at all. The content feels hidden.

I can’t comment on anything as I’m in Canada and don’t have max but I’ve heard people say similar things you’re saying. 

The only thing I can comment on is how much I love hbo content, we get most of the max stuff here and I’ve loved most of it, and have always loved hbo stuff from before. 

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (2 days before opening day)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 18/133 (+4)

10:45am VMAX 21/185 (+2)

10:45am GC 21/30

12:00pm 19/216 (+7)

12:45pm GC 31/40 (+1)

1:15pm VMAX 21/133 (+5)

2:00pm VMAX 29/185 (+12)

2:00pm GC 23/30

3:10pm 20/216 (+6)

4:10pm GC 34/40 (+7)

4:30pm VMAX 6/133

5:15pm VMAX 21/185 (+7)

5:15pm GC 29/30 (+4)

6:30pm 15/216 (+2)

7:30pm GC 36/40 (+2)

7:45pm VMAX 21/133 (+2)

8:15pm 15/216

8:30pm VMAX 49/185 (+15)

8:30pm GC 28/30 (+4)

Total: 457/2416 (+80)

Much better day of sales for Boxing Day today, maybe the early screenings were hampering things a bit and hopefully sales will stay strong the next 2 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

Currently at 74%, at the beginning I was expecting a GOTG 2 type of drop, but it seems a more fitting comparison was Iron Man 2 and it is still missing like half of the total reviews.

yikes even the positive reviews can be best described as back-handed

Edited by Ledmonkey96

23 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

yikes even the positive reviews can be best described as back-handed

I also got the impression from skimming that there were a lot of reviews that sounded... not positive, but the reviewer ended up marking it positive. Oftentimes with pablum about how “it’s message of hope is just what theaters and broader society need at the end of such an awful year.”   

I suspect that it might be a double digit % lower if it was simply released as normal in June in a non-covid world.   

But — we will never know. And it doesn’t really matter either. AT&T strangled this thing’s box office potential in the crib, and everyone will be able to make their own judgement about how it lined up with their personal tastes in a day anyway.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2

I know it’s not healthy to pay much attention to individual reviews, but we’re so starved for BO content, I appear to be getting sucked down this rabbit hole. These have got to be the two funniest positive reviews:

Spoiler

https://rachelsreviews.net/2020/12/24/spoiler-free-review-wonder-woman-84-is-disappointing-the-same-as-bad/

Now after 3 years of waiting with a whole year of delays we have the sequel Wonder Woman 84 and it is…

Disappointing!

not nearly as emotionally resonant as the original film, and the story has a lot of problems.

I loved watching Gadot in Wonder Woman 84 and think she makes me invested in a lot of scenes that would not work otherwise. 

she and Chris Pine have incredible chemistry. In fact, it’s almost too great because story-wise they probably should have went a different direction

The problem with the film lies in its unmanageable length at 151 minutes and the bland, uninteresting story. I particularly found the arc involving Kristen Wiig’s Barbara Minerva to be weak.

In my review of Justice League I said:

But all this aside I can’t deny that when I saw Superman fighting for truth and justice it made me really happy…I guess since it did make me smile I will give it a smile worthy but just barely

I think I feel the same about Wonder Woman 84

5.5/10... positive 

Spoiler

the film is ultimately narratively overstuffed and visually underwhelming. In short, it’s lacking in wonder.

the nighttime finale is the now-typical CGI-laden aesthetic we’ve come to know from DCEU films: gray, dull, and monotone

2.5/5... positive

https://cinemayward.com/review/wonder-woman-1984/

I’m sure you could find similar examples of very unenthusiastic but not quite marked negative reviews for every film, I just think it’s funny. Exposes some of the (well-known) weakness in RT’s binary system.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

I know it’s not healthy to pay much attention to individual reviews, but we’re so starved for BO content, I appear to be getting sucked down this rabbit hole. These have got to be the two funniest positive reviews:

Reveal hidden contents

I’m sure you could find similar examples of very unenthusiastic but not quite marked negative reviews for every film, I just think it’s funny. Exposes some of the (well-known) weakness in RT’s binary system.

Yeh the decision whether it is fresh or not is with the critic themselves. 

Hence why some 2.5/4 reviews go up as fresh and some go as rotten. 

Who rates out of 4 and who uses half stars? Always thought that was strange. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

I also got the impression from skimming that there were a lot of reviews that sounded... not positive, but the reviewer ended up marking it positive. Oftentimes with pablum about how “it’s message of hope is just what theaters and broader society need at the end of such an awful year.”   

I suspect that it might be a double digit % lower if it was simply released as normal in June in a non-covid world.   

But — we will never know. And it doesn’t really matter either. AT&T strangled this thing’s box office potential in the crib, and everyone will be able to make their own judgement about how it lined up with their personal tastes in a day anyway.

Sometimes you see a movie you don't hate, its watchable but not outstanding. Sometimes there are more good scenes than bad. Sometimes a movie being "good enough" (or "fine") is more than being "good" if that makes sense. Reminds me of when I gave a (barely) passing grade to the last Hobbit movie, a film I have zero interest in rewatching. I mean I think of how when I reviewed Aquaman (a movie that aint bad, but I gave a marginal negative review) I compared its problems with Age of Ultron*...a film I gave a marginal positive review. Was it my MCU bias, my liking for characters in earlier (better) films carrying the water? Perhaps. Maybe James Spader's Ultron was more amusing than Patrick Wilson's lackluster baddie character? I don't know. 

I wonder, is it possible that some of the latter (pan) reviews are (even if just subconsciously) a response to the HBO Max move? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

The fact that this might get a lower score than CM is a travesty. 

I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyed CM more than FFH (which had a much higher RT score) that year. In the end of the day, enjoy the stuff you like. I mean Dr. Strange's high RT score hasn't made me like that one (the weakest Phase 3 film) any more. 

Anyway 2 random thoughts, the first since you brought up CM:

(1) It's crazy how Anna Boden was the first woman to direct a billion dollar hit, and with the landscape as it is evolving (perhaps accelerated by current events)....could she end up being the only one? 

(2) Anyway It'll be interesting if WW3 happens if/when and if Jenkins will be involved since she's got Rogue Squadron (out in 2023) and that Cleopatra movie*. Might be 2024/5 before we get it and we might end up getting a new director. 

*=I wouldn't be surprised if that never gets made. Paramount that's not willing to meet Pine's $ demands for Trek 4 because the economics aren't viable but willing to greenlight this? Same Paramount that just sold off Coming 2 America? Yeah ok....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyed CM more than FFH (which had a much higher RT score) that year. In the end of the day, enjoy the stuff you like. I mean Dr. Strange's high RT score hasn't made me like that one (the weakest Phase 3 film) any more. 

Anyway 2 random thoughts, the first since you brought up CM:

(1) It's crazy how Anna Boden was the first woman to direct a billion dollar hit, and with the landscape as it is evolving (perhaps accelerated by current events)....could she end up being the only one? 

(2) Anyway It'll be interesting if WW3 happens if/when and if Jenkins will be involved since she's got Rogue Squadron (out in 2023) and that Cleopatra movie*. Might be 2024/5 before we get it and we might end up getting a new director. 

*=I wouldn't be surprised if that never gets made. Paramount that's not willing to meet Pine's $ demands for Trek 4 because the economics aren't viable but willing to greenlight this? Same Paramount that just sold off Coming 2 America? Yeah ok....

The Jennifer Lee disrespect. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2