kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

1 hour ago, RRA said:

(1) It's crazy how Anna Boden was the first woman to direct a billion dollar hit, and with the landscape as it is evolving (perhaps accelerated by current events)....could she end up being the only one? 

Jennifer Lee made a billion dollar film before Boden. And Nia Dicosta is directing CM 2 which will probably make a billion. Zhao and Shortland also have a shot next year based on how well things are.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

75% from 190. 6.6/10

+27 (19 F 9 R)

So it's probably unwatchable. This is year is just embarrassing.

5 hours ago, lab276 said:

Does it really matter what the reviews are? The best movie of the previous decade, Cloud Atlas, only has 66% on RT.

Reviews don't matter, but Cloud Atlas wasn't a comic book movie about strong independent woman directed, produced and co-written by a woman.

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, Joker at 68% was unwatchable too.

Joker is about white man with mental issues directed by white dude comedy director and written by white dudes, so it's not the same thing, but audience ratings tell me it's very watchable and many US critics are just outright insane as usual. We'll see where audience ratings of WW1984 will land, but if it'll have the same critics/imdb ratio as Birds of Prey and Ghostbusters 2016, then it's probably unwatchable, hopefully it's not. This movie had everything to get at least low 80s on RT, so low 70s is alarming.

21 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Joker is about white man with mental issues directed by white dude comedy director and written by white dudes, so it's not the same thing, but audience ratings tell me it's very watchable and many US critics are just outright insane as usual. We'll see where audience ratings of WW1984 will land, but if it'll have the same critics/imdb ratio as Birds of Prey and Ghostbusters 2016, then it's probably unwatchable, hopefully it's not. This movie had everything to get at least low 80s on RT, so low 70s is alarming.

Outside of Mediaversity, critics are not going to give a movie a negative review for being about a white man. That’s stupid. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Outside of Mediaversity, critics are not going to give a movie a negative review for being about a white man. That’s stupid. 

That's stupid indeed, but many US critics do bs like that all the time. I still remember one idiotic review of The Gentlemen when The Independent critic called the movie "triumph of a white man", whatever tf that means, those people are insane.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

That's stupid indeed, but many US critics do bs like that all the time. I still remember one idiotic review of The Gentlemen when The Independent critic called the movie "triumph of a white man", whatever tf that means, those people are insane.

https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/wonder-woman-1984-review/

54 minutes ago, Firepower said:

And you typed up cringe like I expected.

• Thanks 1

I saw a *negative* review of WW84 on RT because its feminism was too white and not racially representative or lgbtqqipaa+ enough or some nonsense like that. Some people nowadays review films from lenses that I personally find just bizarre and totally removed from quality... but, y’know, that has always been the case. Critics were out here in 1990, and 1960, and 1930, applying their own personal biases and social mores of the time to the perspective through which they experienced film. That’s why using your own opinion is a better way to find out whether a movie works for you than any review aggregator — and still, miraculously, there is a decent correlation between reviews and aggregate audience rating.   

“Just throw it in the average,” as they say.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I saw a *negative* review of WW84 on RT because its feminism was too white and not racially representative or lgbtqqipaa+ enough or some nonsense like that. Some people nowadays review films from lenses that I personally find just bizarre and totally removed from quality...

At least half of US critics in nutshell.

but, y’know, that has always been the case. Critics were out here in 1990, and 1960, and 1930, applying their own personal biases and social mores of the time to the perspective through which they experienced film.

That's actually true, but the problem is there's a lot more "critics" today than back then and there's no filter at all, so any crazy person can become a "critic" now, film criticism died after that.

That’s why using your own opinion is a better way to find out whether a movie works for you than any review aggregator

That's absolutely true, but the problem is it affects people's perception, box office in some cases and many people do care about those percentages and too lazy to read those reviews, and in the end it affects studios' output, unfortunately.

and still, miraculously, there is a decent correlation between reviews and aggregate audience rating.

Not when it comes to awards movies and movies that strongly push some social/political agenda.

43 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

And you typed up cringe like I expected.

No, just facts, my friend. First Wonder Woman has good imdb score, as good as most MCU movies, so you can't use sexist bots as an excuse.

Edited by Firepower

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, Joker at 68% was unwatchable too.

Joker had the controversy dropping the score, this has none.

Ofc not saying it's unwatchable, just that the comparison is not the same.

Edited by Fox20

4 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

I saw a *negative* review of WW84 on RT because its feminism was too white and not racially representative or lgbtqqipaa+ enough or some nonsense like that.

It’s not nonsense, says as both a Mod ™️ and a queer woman. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Albany, New Zealand - Seats Sold Wonder Woman 1984 - (1 day before opening day)

Saturday 26th December

10:00am VMAX 19/133 (+1)

10:45am VMAX 27/185 (+6)

10:45am GC 21/30

12:00pm 26/216 (+7)

12:45pm GC 31/40

1:15pm VMAX 27/133 (+5)

2:00pm VMAX 29/185

2:00pm GC 25/30 (+2)

3:10pm 22/216 (+2)

4:10pm GC 35/40 (+1)

4:30pm VMAX 25/133 (+19)

5:15pm VMAX 21/185

5:15pm GC 29/30

6:30pm 28/216 (+13)

7:30pm GC 34/40 (-2)

7:45pm VMAX 27/133 (+6)

8:15pm 15/216

8:30pm VMAX 54/185 (+9)

8:30pm GC 30/30 (+2)

Total: 528/2416 (+71)

Another good day, will do one last check tonight about 12 hours before release. Merry Christmas everyone.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Wondy said:

It’s not nonsense, says as both a Mod ™️ and a queer woman. 

Well, one part of me thinks it’s better to just not respond to this at all. But, I also don’t want to not respond to something I disagree with just because it contained “as a Mod™️,” so I hope we can have some reasonable discussion on this topic without things getter out of hand. 

I thought the crazy right wing review posted some pages ago which judged the movie on the writer’s preexisting political axes to grind without really treating it as a movie was bad, and I hope it should be pretty uncontroversial that it’s possible to do it the same disservice coming from the other extreme instead. Racial representation is important, sure. So is lgbtqia+ representation. I haven’t seen the movie yet myself, so I can’t comment on how it handled either of those directly. But to base one’s review of a 150 minute experience largely around it not having as many queer or minority woman as you wanted is not an effective way to either advance those causes within the industry or to help educate someone who stumbled across your review when searching for “WW84 reviews” about what they can expect from the movie.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 7

Like, to be clear, I probably would have approved if they casted a nonwhite actress for Cheetah. I would certainly prefer some kind of queer romantic storyline for Diana than “Steve, who died movingly 70 years ago, but is back now... kinda.” I think these and the larger industry trends they’re apart of are fine things to mention in a review, and critique, and contribute to someone’s evaluation of it. But I think if that specific complaint takes up too large a % of your final score, you’re entering nonsense territory.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Wait, are people seriously docking off points from this movie for not doing a queer story? Why? 

I wouldn’t say “people,” as in plural, this was just one review I saw that stuck in my mind for that reason but is clearly an outlier.

I really don't mind if people critique films with a marxist, idpol, conservative, etc bias and honestly even encourage it. Even if it might be frustrating to understand their point of view a lot of times I find reviews from people from very specific political biases to be great (Armond White for example is a very interesting reviewer imo). I did see a critic docking points away from this film for being "heteronormative" but I don't really care I guess since it was just a tweet and I'm definitely not going to view it through that lens.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2