kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

The problems people have are loud and clear. IMO Jenkins wanted to do an 80s Superhero film and she delivered in that aspect.

The sheer audacity of Jenkins making a film called Wonder Woman 1984 and the end result feeling like an 80’s superhero movie! Who could have seen THAT coming.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

As a comic fan and someone who's in the comic/nerd space, I enjoyed it for what it is. I din't love it by any means but it was fine. 

Looking through my FB timeline however, I'm seeing a lot of casual viewers don't really care for it. Given this reaction, I'd be curious at what WW84 box office would have been in a non-Covid world. I can see it coming in below the original. 

The reaction from people i thought this would be a homerun for has been shocking.

I wonder if it's the home viewing. A bad two and half hour movie is still just two and a half hours in a  cinema, it just feels long.

At home an unengaging two and half movie invites distraction, phone checks, and constant pause/plays. A two and a half hour movie turns into 3 hours or 4 hours.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

The reaction from people i thought this would be a homerun for has been shocking.

I wonder if it's the home viewing. A bad two and half hour movie is still just two and a half hours in a  cinema, it just feels long.

At home an unengaging two and half movie invites distraction, phone checks, and constant pause/plays. A two and a half hour movie turns into 3 hours or 4 hours.

I think this is definitely part of it. 

39 minutes ago, AJG said:

If you're at home and you feel unengaged, find something else to watch. You aren't beholden to keep watching a film you feel is wasting your time. It's actually quite easier to do than if you're in the theater.

2 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney/Marvel fans are having a field day with the combo of WW84 and BOP.

DC needs to  be sold from WB at this point. Its beyond obvious that WB is massively incompetent. 

I mean BOP at least had decent reviews. But that and Shazam (which had really good write-ups) just under-performed, especially OS. Doesn't help that (IMO) that brand's fanbase just doesn't seem as passionate about those films as they are with other films in that universe for whatever reasons. 

Also I don't know if "incompetent" I would use. I mean Aquaman (despite eh reviews) made a billion bucks. Despite the controversy, Joker won Oscars and made a billion bucks. WW84 (even with these reviews) maybe would've equaled the first overall box-office, still would've been a success (in this hypothetical plague-free world.) Shazam! was a solid hit, if not a sexy one for stockholders. It's a hit/miss track record, but it's more hit than miss at this point I would argue. 

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Ultimately all WB(really AT&T) care about at this point are subs for max so that’s going to be the only measuring stick they use for this.

A movie can be successful without certain markets overseas but you’d love to see this movie doing better in those markets that are doing normal numbers now. This movie missed the mark for a lot of those markets.

Audience and critical reception are definitely way lower then the first but imo If Patty wants to come back and make a third movie they will let her. Lots of men have made average movies and have been given another chance. 

Patty will be busy the next few years. If they want WW3 with her badly, they'll have to wait until 2024 at the earliest. And if Cleopatra happens, might be even longer. Are they willing to wait that long?

People overstate how disappointing Shazam! performed. It was made on a relatively modest budget and was released just a few weeks before the highest grossing movie of all time (at least worldwide). It’s also tied with the first WW in terms of having the highest Cinemascore rating in the DCEU. It did fine. 

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I just realized that David Callaham is set to write Into the Spider-Verse 2. I don’t care much about Shang-Chi, but him writing a sequel to my favorite superhero movie of 2018 might be just a tad concerning. 

I have faith that the Lord/Miller squad are parsing him out. Screenwriters can only do so much when they're working on the whims (for good or ill) of directors/producers. 

4 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Wonder how Warner execs are handling knowing they just torpedoed their best franchise bet. 

They've struggled to make Superman a consistently viable franchise since what, the 80s? Unfortunately this isn't new. (I mean even Batman had his eight year vacation at one point because yanno.)

It's funny bring up Supes: Having not seen WW84 (trying to be fair here), Gadot has been in 4 movies so far and only one so far (WW1) has been considered a real winner winner chicken-dinner generally speaking, in spite of people generally liking her in that gig. Christopher Reeve had that OG classic Superman, the decent #2, the bafflingly underwhelming #3, and the bad movie classic #4. Let's hope she's given better material moving forward because she might end up sharing a similar fate. 

17 minutes ago, RRA said:

I mean BOP at least had decent reviews. But that and Shazam (which had really good write-ups) just under-performed, especially OS. Doesn't help that (IMO) that brand's fanbase just doesn't seem as passionate about those films as they are with other films in that universe for whatever reasons. 

Also I don't know if "incompetent" I would use. I mean Aquaman (despite eh reviews) made a billion bucks. Despite the controversy, Joker won Oscars and made a billion bucks. WW84 (even with these reviews) maybe would've equaled the first overall box-office, still would've been a success (in this hypothetical plague-free world.) Shazam! was a solid hit, if not a sexy one for stockholders. It's a hit/miss track record, but it's more hit than miss at this point I would argue. 

Patty will be busy the next few years. If they want WW3 with her badly, they'll have to wait until 2024 at the earliest. And if Cleopatra happens, might be even longer. Are they willing to wait that long?

I personally wasn’t expecting a third film till 2024 but I’m also not against a new director doing a third movie, Not cause I have any issue with Patty but if they did want to make a third movie sooner. I’ll be first in line to see Patty’s new Star Wars movie.