kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

36 minutes ago, alfred8 said:

Currently at 4.8 Metacritic User Score.

(For comparison: MoS 7.5, BvS 7.0, Suicide Squad 6.0, Wonder Woman 6.6, Aquaman 6.9, Shazam! 7.6, Justice League 6.4, Birds of Prey 3.1)

Metacritic has spent a good chunk of the year telling us their user scores section is a useless bot infested mess solely for review bombers. 

They need to either sort it out or turn it off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know why people are getting so offended by numbers? The overall impressions of this movie are well below the first movie. I wouldn’t say it’s a disaster or anything but it’s definitely surprising this was the route Patty chose to take this movie in.

Even though I liked the movie It’s to easy to see the flaws In it and it’s really easy to see why many wouldn’t like the tone Patty chose. 

I still think a third movie can do fine but they will have some work to do to get that buy in again from people who didn’t like this movie. 

Very well said.

6 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

You’re telling me that Warner Brothers made a superhero to not try to appeal to the biggest and most consistent movie fanbase on the planet?

some of you are twisting yourselves into so many knots you’re starting to look like pretzels 

No, they did the same thing they did on the 1st movie...appeal outside the norm fanbase for supers...

Remember, when WW opened at $100Mish, everyone bemoaned it and said it was done...then it got a 4x mutliplier, which was unheard of for supers movies...b/c it appealed outside the core dynamic.

Is WW84 as good as WW - for me, no (but for my spouse, it was close)...but I respect that it again took a tack to appeal to a different fanbase, one that skewed in favor of kids and those looking for fun and escapism vs grim dark...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like considering that Gadot is pretty much a big celebrity now, a lot more people do know about her past than you think. But tbf, I've heard no controversy about the movie being zionist propaganda from where I live (I live in the middle east) and all of it does seem to be coming from Americans. Still, I personally found it uncomfortable.

Again I don’t want you to feel like I’m questioning how you interpreted the movie. I can’t imagine how you must feel watching this cause I’m white so I have no clue how you or anyone else feels. And even though I’m in no way associated with the movie I’m really sorry you felt uncomfortable watching this. 

• Like 1

WTH is wrong with people these days? This was so much fun. What an enjoyable movie. I think people are mad because it's different than the first movie...that was more gritty and serious, but there so much to enjoy in this one too. Gal's acting has greatly improved, Pedro was a joy and Wiig was fantastic. The first movie had more gravitas, but this one was delightful. I honestly don't get the hate. It's a great movie, more aimed at non - superhero crowd, maybe that's why the CBMs fans are not that pleased, but i had so much fun with it

WW- 9

WW84 -8.5

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm still really confused as to why the writers thought it would be a good idea to include a scene in the middle east. Did they forget that the optics would not look good considering Gadot's nationality and her history with the IDF? Regardless of whether they intended or not, that entire scene can easily be interpreted as zionist propaganda. 

That is the only thing i honestly hated about the movie if you are aware of Gal's nationality and her history

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, they did the same thing they did on the 1st movie...appeal outside the norm fanbase for supers...

Remember, when WW opened at $100Mish, everyone bemoaned it and said it was done...then it got a 4x mutliplier, which was unheard of for supers movies...b/c it appealed outside the core dynamic.

Is WW84 as good as WW - for me, no (but for my spouse, it was close)...but I respect that it again took a tack to appeal to a different fanbase, one that skewed in favor of kids and those looking for fun and escapism vs grim dark...

The first one had significantly better audience scores, even in direct theater surveys.

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Again I don’t want you to feel like I’m questioning how you interpreted the movie. I can’t imagine how you must feel watching this cause I’m white so I have no clue how you or anyone else feels. And even though I’m in no way associated with the movie I’m really sorry you felt uncomfortable watching this. 

No worries, I wasn't very offended by it or anything (I'm not an Arab myself). Just something I can't help but think about. 

• Like 1

Also, we shouldn’t get so offended by others opinions. I know the whole marvel vs DC thing will never go away but I’ve seen plenty of DC fans not like this as much as they had hoped. 

And, had some of you had been in the Spider-Man 3 thread over the last week you’d see that there’s a lot of talk in there about how people (who are big marvel fans) didn’t enjoy FFH all that much.

Lot’s of people on this site can be impartial but sometimes we let our feelings get in the way and just react.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Not gonna lie, I was actually halfway expecting the Cinemascore rating to be even lower than that. I know a B+ is below average for a movie like this, but with how people have been talking about it, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it scored even lower than that.

Being brutally honest here. The people visiting movie theaters right now are probably pretty desperate for the “movie outing” stuff after all the shutdown issues this year. I would guess their standards are not very high. 

Man I've gotta say, I enjoyed this film

I love the Donner Superman films and Raimi's first two Spider-Man films. So maybe I'm a sucker for sincerity but I really enjoyed the throwback to something so classically superhero-ey. I don't think it's as good as those films but it taps into that charm that I miss so much. The romanticism, the joyfulness, the genuine goodness/hopefulness and the straight faced sincerity without a self aware one liner following it. 

The action was whatever, about the same quality as your standard Marvel action, I kind of tuned out during most action set pieces. 

The rest of the film looks beautiful, wonderfully filmic; the depth, the lenses, the colours, the lighting. I felt like Jenkins got better at directing honestly, even if the script itself wasn't as good. 

There's a detour in the film that didn't need to be there. That whole section could be cut. I could feel the length wearing on me towards the end. 

7.5/10

On a side note - So much hyperbole being thrown around with recent blockbusters as being the worst thing ever which I can never take seriously. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 3

Patty Jenkins is a great director. This movie is long and she directed the hell out of it. It must have not been easy

I see people hating on the mall scene at the beginning.  I enjoyed it greatly. It was a nod at the old cheesy superhero movies. It was tongue in cheek. wink*

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

WB paid 10 millions a director for a kids movie :ohmygod:

99% of Superhero movies are inherently kids films. I feel like she may have oversteered into the kid lane like George Lucas did with the prequels.

• Like 1