kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Please stay far far far away from MCU Patty. I am worried for that SW film in first place.

I mean I’d rather have a Jenkins Spider-Man than a Watts Spider-Man. At least she can do the ethos and drama right for that one instead of the run of the mill FFH. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

At first I thought this film was a B-, pretty solid but messy but the more I think about, the more I dislike the film. It’s ambitious but I think there’s a lot in hindsight that just don’t sit right with me that sort of hurts the film, like down to a C. 

Anyways, I don’t see why WW84 means doom for any other Jenkins project. I mean, did Favreau lose his career after Iron Man 2? Or Zathura (which was great, I’m just bringing it up caused it flopped (not saying WW84 is a financial one, as again global pandemic) )? I still think the first WW was great, but I don’t get why this would be the career sinking when she’s had other stuff that was good.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3

So everybody, even those who like it, just agree WW84 deserve to be a flop?

I thought the controversies could last longer. I saw some still lamented that BoP didn't become a box office hit weeks ago. But it feels like most of people had consensus and conclusions on WW84 before the end of its opening weekend.

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I thought the controversies could last longer. I saw some still lamented that BoP didn't become a box office hit weeks ago. But it feels like most of people had consensus and conclusions on WW84 before the end of its opening weekend.

Nah, it doesn't deserve to be a flop...I've seen many worse movies, and many worse supers movies, that did just fine at the box office.

And one thing I will give WW84 - it HAD to release now.  Tonally, it hits the zeitgeist of what people want right now during this holiday (an ending message of hope and redemption and an overall movie message of normalcy, lightness, and frivolity), but won't work 12 months from now...(now, plotwise, it missed what people want, but that was no longer fixable at any time)...

• Like 4

Has anyone else done one of these private theater rentals yet? My family and I did one yesterday to see this and it was actually a ton of fun! Felt like being in your own living room. Very much recommended provided you have the group ready to justify paying the cost (the capacity cap is at 20 for a total of $150+ - pretty good deal for those who have that many compared to the combined number of what they would pay separately at regular prices - and you don't have to worry about whether other people in the theater are sick - they asked when we rented it out a week ago if we wanted the auditorium to be extra sanitized before arrival and we said yes).

As for this, it was...just fine. Obviously disappointing compared to expectations but what can you do. Still looking forward to a third movie as well as Jenkins' Star Wars movie (which already has the benefit of being its own thing and won't be saddled with decades of anticipation and expectations that were always going to be impossible to fully live up to).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Absolutely not. And we can’t call it a flop, because we’ll never know what it could’ve grossed under 100% completely normal circumstances without delayed releases, closed cinemas, a streaming release, piracy and a pandemic. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

5.9 on IMDB

Clearly getting trolled/bombed a bit over there. Even though it was kind of meh, it’s not markedly worse than SS/BvS/JL.   

Letterboxd is down to 2.8 though. Won’t be shocked if it settles near 2.6 with Hulk and TDW.

Edited by WandaLegion

Even if it didn’t do great in some markets  This was never going to flop so using that word is ridiculous. 

It would definitely underperform expectations imo and be under the first one. I think Jenkins and Gadot got really lucky with their pay out cause they wanted this movie on hbomax and it was the first high profile movie they could add to the service. 

• Like 1

Deadline had WW1 at just over 250M profit with 660 in rev and 400 in costs. Revenue coming down 25% to 500M would not be that crazy (this would take a less than 25% drop in box office afaik, since home and TV ancillaries are smaller than 2017)? Production budget is up 50M, marketing probably up ~50M, participation’s could be up near 25M if Jenkins and Gadot got that bag... it doesn’t seem all that hard to imagine a slight loss actually.    

But again, in reality, it’s being deliberately used as a loss leader by AT&T.

An Iron Man 2 type of domestic performance is what probably would've happened to this movie had it opened in a pandemic-free world where it opened in early June as originally planned. First movie was a lightning in a bottle success and sequels to those usually tend to decrease by various amounts. It's all just a guess now since we'll never know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julian1410 said:

Who feels that this would not have a backlash if it was only theaters? I think watching things at home makes it a lot more easier to shit on something because you don’t feel like you bought a ticket so its easier to find something not worthy of your approval. Next to also having not the whole theatre experience

Oh. No, honey. I watched it in a movie theater and I was just as angry. 

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

This franchise (the DCEU) just can’t catch a break. The fact that the Matt Reeves movie has nothing to do with this continuity has got to be the biggest thing it has going for it. 

We have 9 movies now right? Reception is something like:

Great — WW, Shazam

Good — Aquaman

Mixed — BoP, MOS, WW84

Bad to terrible — SS, BvS, JL   

The whole point of a shared universe is to connect the future films with the quality of the previous one’s in the audiences mind. At this point it’s more of an anchor than a support, I truly think they would be better off cancelling it entirely and starting again with a new universe in a few years based on successful mostly standalone films. Especially since the crossovers are the main point of leverage, and the 2 films with big crossover elements are in the bottom bucket.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2