kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Grace loved the film, but now she’s joining in on the pile-on everyone is having. She knows her fan base are the no-personal-picture-avatar people on Twitter. 

These YouTubers sway their opinion to whatever the majority of the internet is saying to keep their audiences happy. The worst of the bunch is Chris Stuckman who waits until a consensus has formed and then frames his review on that. The way he talks during his review of a bad movie, especially of WW1984, makes it absolutely clear he’s not sharing his actual review. He’s simply creating a comedy routine based on what the the interest is saying and using that as his review. It truly feels like he’s pulling comments from the most retweeted tweets about this movie. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

We have 9 movies now right? Reception is something like:

Great — WW, Shazam

Good — Aquaman

Mixed — BoP, MOS, WW84

Bad to terrible — SS, BvS, JL   

The whole point of a shared universe is to connect the future films with the quality of the previous one’s in the audiences mind. At this point it’s more of an anchor than a support, I truly think they would be better off cancelling it entirely and starting again with a new universe in a few years based on successful mostly standalone films. Especially since the crossovers are the main point of leverage, and the 2 films with big crossover elements are in the bottom bucket.

Minor nitpick but I don't think Shazam's reception can qualify as "great". More in the "good" category. I think that just strengthens the overall point, though. DC has already shown that they can make successful films without forcing the shared universe element.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

We have 9 movies now right? Reception is something like:

Great — WW, Shazam

Good — Aquaman

Mixed — BoP, MOS, WW84

Bad to terrible — SS, BvS, JL   

The whole point of a shared universe is to connect the future films with the quality of the previous one’s in the audiences mind. At this point it’s more of an anchor than a support, I truly think they would be better off cancelling it entirely and starting again with a new universe in a few years based on successful mostly standalone films. Especially since the crossovers are the main point of leverage, and the 2 films with big crossover elements are in the bottom bucket.

Well looking at the movies

MoS: 56% Tomatometer; 75% audience Score

BvS: 28%; 62%

SS: 26%; 59%

WW: 93%; 84%

Aquaman: 65%; 74%

JL: 40%; 71%

Shazam: 90%; 82%

BoP: 78%; 78%

WW84: 65%; 72%

So i'd move Aquaman down to mixed.

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

Minor nitpick but I don't think Shazam's reception can qualify as "great". More in the "good" category. I think that just strengthens the overall point, though. DC has already shown that they can make successful films without forcing the shared universe element.

Aquaman and Shazam had more shared universe elements than BoP* and WW84 though, so it's not like the shared universe references are something that definitely drag the quality of the movie down. 

*I personally enjoyed BoP as much as Shazam but talking about the general RT consensus.

• Like 1

I wonder if audience scores were also deflated because of HBO Max's terrible functionality too. As far as I can tell a lot of people had huge problems with watching the movie, especially on Roku devices. HBO Max also seems to be lower rated than any other major streaming service on appstores because of a shitton of problems so I have feeling it might've had some play.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

BoP and WW84 scores are verified-era, and thus are inflated. We also have Aquaman's actual BO performance to judge reception. Even for a holiday release, it had very strong holds. 

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Aquaman and Shazam had more shared universe elements than BoP* and WW84 though, so it's not like the shared universe references are something that definitely drag the quality of the movie down. 

*I personally enjoyed BoP as much as Shazam but talking about the general RT consensus.

That's true, but I think the point was more about whether there is even value in a shared universe if about half the films have mixed to bad reception. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

DCEU needs to be canned.  Any movie that feels it needs to connect with JL/BvS for continuity purposes is going to be impacted.  Don’t put that dead weight on another film.  Either reboot or just ignore all together.  

That logic would have made sense if Aquaman which very much was a DCEU film (at least more so than BoP and WW84) and was the very next film after Justice League hadn't gone on to make 1.1 Billion +

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

That's true, but I think the point was more about whether there is even value in a shared universe if about half the films have mixed to bad reception. 

Other than the fact that BoP and WW84 were led by Robbie and Gadot who had appeared as Harley and Diana in previous DCEU films, were they really shared universe films at all? At least to any extent where it made a difference? What's the solution? Dump all DCEU actors? That's not going to go down well either.

Going forward everything is in the same universe anyways cause of the multiverse so it doesn’t really matter. The solution to all of this is pretty easy, make movies that people like and you’ll be fine. 

It doesn’t matter what our opinions on certain movies are. If people don’t respond to them and they don’t make money they’re not successful.

If Aquaman could make a billion after JL there’s no reason to abandon anything, not every movie needs to make a billion to be a success. WB saw enough in Shazam to give it a sequel when the movie only grossed like 350m worldwide. If making a universe like marvel was so easy it would of been done by everyone by now 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What are people expecting for opening weekend? 

Biggest opening weekend of the pandemic? Or under Tenet/Croods high 9’s?

$5-7m I’d guess. 

This is doing at least 3x what Tenet was doing at my local theater with the same capacity limitations.  It had multiple sell outs Friday and yesterday.  I think it will easily have the biggest opening of the pandemic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knights of Ren said:

DCEU needs to be canned.  Any movie that feels it needs to connect with JL/BvS for continuity purposes is going to be impacted.  Don’t put that dead weight on another film.  Either reboot or just ignore all together.  

Funny thing is though, WW84 seems to almost go out of its way to ignore JL/BvS, the tone and story couldn’t be any less Snyder-ish, and it even seems to contradict those films in places. Personally it didn’t bother me because I’m not a fan of JL/BvS so the film worked for me as I just considered it a standalone story which was only connected to Wonder Woman. If you sat watching it trying to connect it to the Snyder films then it’d probably be a frustrating experience.

I don’t think they should ditch everything from the DCEU as I think for the most part they’re well cast (Jason Momoa and Gal Gadot in particular), but they’d definitely be better off moving away from trying to connect them all MCU style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

People generally seem to like AM, Amber Heard controversy notwithstanding.