kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

4 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I think that DC's calendar for 2023 is already full but will be announced next year. Static Shock, Shazam 2 and maybe a low budget one like Birds of Prey or maybe Man of Steel sequel.

So 2024 is my bet for this but they can push it to summer 2023 and Shazam 2 moves back to April.

I’d be shocked if they did anything else with BoP after the pre-pandemic performance of the first film. I’d say either Gotham City Sirens or a third Suicide Squad will be the next time we see Harley Quinn (after The Suicide Squad of course)

I also highly doubt they’ll get a Man of Steel sequel off the ground anytime soon. I doubt MoS gets a sequel at all to be honest. I reckon the next standalone Superman film will be a reboot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I’d imagine extremely well, or they wouldn’t be announcing this. 

Well, I just some links in the HBO Max thread that said that WW84 is indeed doing very well on the service, so I guess they’re serious about this announcement after all. In that case, my hope is that they can maybe get Allan Heinberg back. 

• Like 1

BURBANK, CA – December 27, 2020 – Today, Warner Bros. Pictures announced that it will fast-track development on the third installment of the Wonder Womanfranchise to be written by Patty Jenkins, who is attached to direct, and starring Gal Gadot. Wonder Woman 1984 easily conquered the holiday weekend, exceeding box office projections as the top post-pandemic domestic opening weekend for any feature film this year, with $16.7 million in box office. Wonder Woman 1984 took in an estimated $36.1 million globally from 42 markets in release this weekend (including U.S. and Canada). This takes the international running cume to $68.3 million, and the worldwide tally to $85 million. The film has been welcomed by fans, with an overall CinemaScore of B+. The announcement was made today by Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

“As fans around the world continue to embrace Diana Prince, driving the strong opening weekend performance of Wonder Woman 1984, we are excited to be able continue her story with our real life Wonder Women – Gal and Patty – who will return to conclude the long-planned theatrical trilogy,” said Emmerich.

On HBO Max, anticipation for Wonder Woman 1984 was apparent, with nearly half of the platform’s retail subscribers viewing the film on the day of its arrival, along with millions of wholesale subscribers who have access to HBO Max via a cable, wireless, or other partner services. HBO Max also saw the total viewing hours on Friday more than triple in comparison to a typical day in the previous month.

Wonder Woman 1984 broke records and exceeded our expectations across all of our key viewing and subscriber metrics in its first 24 hours on the service, and the interest and momentum we’re seeing indicates this will likely continue well beyond the weekend,” said Andy Forssell, Executive Vice President and General Manager, WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer. “During these very difficult times, it was nice to give families the option of enjoying this uplifting film at home, where theater viewing wasn’t an option.”

Private watch parties and large format screens (IMAX®, Dolby, PLF) drove ticket sales and were the most popular option among consumers. Over the weekend, over 10,000 private rentals were booked, an innovative and popular way for audiences to feel comfortable watching the film in their own social bubbles. In the U.S., only 39% of U.S. cinemas (representing 56% of the box office) are currently open at limited capacity, with closures in top markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Philadelphia, among others. WW1984 is playing in over 2,100 theaters nationwide with limited capacity. This represents about half of the locations and, in these theaters, half of the available seating compared to a pre-pandemic environment. The first Wonder Woman film was available at 4,165 theaters in 2017 at 100% seating. In Canada, only 5% of theatres (representing 3% of the total Canadian box-office) are open. The Canadian theatrical market was supplemented with a PVOD day and date release which yielded an additional estimated $4 million. 40 markets internationally opened Wonder Woman 1984 in the first two weeks representing 68% of total box office, compared to 2017 with 58 markets representing 77% of total box office for Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman 1984 was released via a unique, consumer-focused distribution model in which Warner Bros. exhibited the film theatrically worldwide, while adding an exclusive one-month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release. This hybrid model was created as a strategic response to the impact of the ongoing global pandemic, particularly in the U.S. Following the one-month HBO Max access period domestically, Wonder Woman 1984will leave the platform and continue theatrically in the U.S. and international territories, with all customary distribution windows applying to the title.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’d be shocked if they did anything else with BoP after the pre-pandemic performance of the first film. I’d say either Gotham City Sirens or a third Suicide Squad will be the next time we see Harley Quinn (after The Suicide Squad of course)

I also highly doubt they’ll get a Man of Steel sequel off the ground anytime soon. I doubt MoS gets a sequel at all to be honest. I reckon the next standalone Superman film will be a reboot.

I meant a low budget film not exactly BoP sequel. Can be a DC Black movie like Joker or even Gotham City Sirens which is the sequel in question for Harley's trilogy, ending with BOP vs GCS.

You're right about MoS, it was just my wish. But Cavill will probably be in Shazam 2 in 2023 so will be cool to see him again.

So maybe: Shazam 2, Static Shock, Wonder Woman 3/New Gods/Gotham City Sirens.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Huh, so by fast tracking do they mean this will be filming 2021 as well? It would have to be in that time frame cause her SW movie is supposed to come out in 2023 right? 

Jenkins and Gadot (and possibly Johns...ew) have been working on the story for some time now, so I'd imagine they're way ahead and will be ready to shoot within a year.  I'd bet that Warners is paying them anything they want to try to guarantee that they do this before the Star Wars or Cleopatra film.  But we'll see...

48 minutes ago, belblazer said:

40 years after WW84, Patty needs to level the character to the same Diana in Batman v Superman. A more adult story in a R movie would fit very well.

This ain't happening.  They will shift direction, for sure, based on the overall response to this one -- but I'm pretty sure Jenkins will not be pivoting back to anything like BvS tone.  And let's not forget that Snyder has been pretty open about supporting Jenkins and WW84 in particular -- he seems happy to let her do her own thing.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Following the one-month HBO Max access period domestically, Wonder Woman 1984will leave the platform and continue theatrically in the U.S. and international territories, with all customary distribution windows applying to the title.

It still blows my mind that WB were able to get exhibitors to go along with that. Who is going to be wanting to watch this in a cinema a month from now? Anybody who wants to watch it will have either already watched it at a cinema or streamed it as many times as they want for a month on HBO Max.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Weekend is double impressive because 

A. Pandemic

B. It’s available at home. 

Don’t think WB could’ve expected this much. 

As I think I said - tonally perfect for a 2020 Christmas movie plus appropriate for 2-102 (not really a supers-type movie and skews young, so you can bring the whole fam).

As I said, I expect 7 good daily numbers that match Sunday's take...and then once schools start (which may be delayed in many places and WW ekes out a decent week from Jan 4-11, too, since my area is waiting til Jan 12), it drops off a cliff...

But, it will have been 100% worth it for WB - it floats open DOM theaters, it actually gets some DOM revenue, and it spikes HBO Max subs...win/win/win decision...on a movie that's not great, but is a total draw - give their top people kudos for how this played b/c they couldn't have done better with the Covid hand and movie quality they drew...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This movie did well with only 40% of theaters open AND the social distancing measures. It did well in Australia and nicely in Korea and Taiwan. Yeah, sticking to my belief that this would have done 1B. We’ll never know. But maybe it finishes with about 150m at box office WITHOUT much of Europe in a global pandemic. Really enjoyed WW84 and ecstatic about the announcement of number 3. It apparently pulled its weight in droves for HBOMAX, which is precisely what the suits wanted. 

AND 6.2 people streamed it just on Friday night. That is not counting new subs. Imagine a box office with a baseline of that many people going to the movies to see this on opening weekend. HUGE! 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I doubt Rogue Squadron is gonna get delayed, even when/if WW3 gets made first.  Nor should it.

For one thing, development of RS is further along than some might think:

As far as where they are in the writing process, Jenkins said:

"We're very far into the — we're finishing the treatment basically, which is pretty big. So it ends up being like where you're fairly close to a well-along screenplay by the time I'm done with the treatment in my process. So yeah, we've been working on it for awhile. It's going great. I'm super excited about it. I'm super excited about the story."

Even if it is being written as a mega blockbuster (and I have my doubts which aren't germane to this thread) shooting for Rogue Squadron could be done between mid 2022 and early 2023, presumably with a break for Cleopatra's press tour (or indeed after it depending on schedules).

Patty isn't writing RS, according to that article I linked, so that's one less thing for her to be busy doing.  

As for having multiple plates in the air in 2021, 2022, and 2023? She also had this to say:

"You can never do it in one year. You could never do a good 'Star Wars' movie in one year or a good 'Cleopatra' in one year. I think each of those movies takes two years probably. But I do think, as I even learned on the two 'Wonder Woman's, I already had sold a limited TV series ['I Am the Night'] that I was in love with when they decided to move the 'Wonder Woman 1984' release date up. So suddenly it was happening on top of each other. And I was actually able to write a huge treatment and have a bunch of creative meetings and go off and do my show while pre-production was happening for 'Wonder Woman 1984.' So there is a lot of ways. Certainly, until I'm on set shooting 'Star Wars,' I could be developing all sorts of other things and pushing them forward. It's actually possible. So, I think that's apparently how people do multiple things at one time, which I'm usually pretty singularly focused, but I'm getting better at this all the time."

When she gave this interview a few days ago, she had to know that an announcement about Wonder Woman 3 might be in the cards, and this is her laying out her arguments ahead of time.  

====

Now can she do all three of these big projects with the care and attention they deserve?  I'll leave that to others to comment on. Simply laying out some ground work on why delaying any of these three films might not be in the cards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What a pleasant surprise. I just finished watching the movie and... well, I nearly had skipped the movie because of some mentions of heavy virtue signaling and orange man bad references (which I am simply so very tired of). What I got instead is a very good Wonder Woman movie that took me on a rollercoster ride of emotions - and I mean that in a good way. I laughted, I bit my finger-nails (literally), I got thrilled and upset and I cried when the makers intended to make me cry. And this is all I want (more: expect) from such a flick. All-in-all this movie felt very light-hearted to me, despite its third act drama, and therefore was the perfect year's end movie for me to leave all the - pardon my french - shit behind me that I got to deal with in 2020.

I have to (and will) watch it again to see if I rank it higher than the first one in the end. At the moment I would answer that with a loud and heartfelt "Of course it is!", but then again the used Kleenex' beside me are still wet, so I am still "a bit" under the influence so to speak. 9/10 with a tendency to 10/10.

Edited by incognitoo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

“#WW84  debuted with 1.4M in #India, same as 2017 #WonderWoman , also biggest opening for a Hollywood movie in India in 2020. One of the few which managed to match the 1st WonderWoman opening grosses, along with #Taiwan. #Thailand was the only market where WW84’s opening topped WW’s”

A tweet from Luiz Fernando. So wait? It didn’t do poorly in all Asian markets aparently. Brazil is not back to normal and it is a huge market for WW. Basically much of Europe is closed. The movie dropped just 34% in its second week, so it didn’t drop like a stone there. NYC, LA, SF and many other major cities are closed. So yeah, this would have smashed in most territories. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nearly $17M opening in the middle of a pandemic with only 1/3 of the theaters in the country open while also being available to watch at home is rather excellent all things considered.

And people insist it wouldn't have done 1B in normal circumstances...

• Like 2

Don't read too much into the fast-track decision. Hollywood is completely shutdown for holidays and ,in all likelihood, this was decided even before the movie opened. At any rate, a 3rd WW was always going to be greenlighted. The biggest question will be whether Jenkins returns and on which terms. WB had a much tighter reins on Jenkins for the first movie and it turned out to be good. They mostly let her do what she wanted to and the reception is more mixed this time so I am not sure if WB will go the same route this time.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think Jenkins and Gadot should drop Cleopatra ASAP! That's a bomb waiting to blow up. 

Yeah, Cleopatra and a gorgeous actress hasn't exactly been a successful combo at the movies. There was the 1944 flop Caesar and Cleopatra with Vivien Leigh which was the most expensive British film to date and, of course, the notorious Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor.

Anyway, terrific numbers for WW84. And I can't believe people were actually doubting that there'd be a 3rd film from Jenkins.

Edited by Fielding

52 minutes ago, Maggie said:

And people insist it wouldn't have done 1B in normal circumstances...

You have no evidence to suggest it would, and the less-than-stellar reception would have definitely hurt legs. 1B would've been tough even with strong reception, with this reception it would have been extremely unlikely. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1