kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

I hope we get a day by day rundown of the gross to see how much it increased/decreased each day, anecdotally the theater i work at sold out of pretty much every showing Christmas, 5-6 sell outs saturday and like 8 at no more than half then sunday was 2-3 sell outs and 9 half full and 3 empty

Edited by Ledmonkey96
  • Like 1

Regardless of my feelings of the movie it was nice to have a pretty packed screening for a movie again. My screening for Tenet understandably had far more restrictions. At actually hearing audience reactions such as laughter is something I've missed (Tenet is many things but funny ain't one of them). 

• Like 5

Actual breakdown of where it did best:

The No. 1-grossing theater for WW84 was the District Megaplex in Salt Lake City. Like Utah, Florida and Texas have been a haven for indoor cinemas in recent months as the country's top 10 major moviegoing markets remain off-limits, including New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Other top locations for the superhero sequel included AMC Disney Springs, Orlando; Jordan Commons Megaplex, Salt Lake City; Santikos Palladium, San Antonio; Thanksgiving Point Lehi Megaplex, Salt Lake City, 7 Cinemark West Jordan, Salt Lake City; AMC Thoroughbred, Nashville; Santikos Casa Blanca, San Antonio; and Geneva Vineyard Megaplex, Salt Lake City.

The top 10 greater metropolitan area markets were Dallas, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Houston, the greater New York metro area, including New Jersey, Connecticut and upstate New York theaters), Orlando, Atlanta, Tampa, Miami and Austin.

So I am a little bit confused. WW84 will be on HBOMAX and in theaters until January 24, 2021. Then it moves to strictly theaters for 30 days and then what after that? I don’t know why theaters think they can make any money with that set up. Movies are usually well past 1/2 their earnings in cinema by week 4.

Anyways, some streaming numbers. 

https://t.co/PFrHPQM4aK

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

If further reviews are at 50%  would go rotten at 458th. WW1 has a total of 461. Could actually go either way at this point. 43% audience, 2.7 letterboxd and probably not done.   

I believed vieweranon’s info more than a lot of people here did, but even still I find this pretty surprising.   

According to [insert half baked superstitious interpretations of DCEU reception patterns here] The Suicide Squad is now locked for 90%+

Edited by WandaLegion

45 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

If further reviews are at 50%  would go rotten at 458th. WW1 has a total of 461. Could actually go either way at this point. 43% audience, 2.7 letterboxd and probably not done.   

I believed vieweranon’s info more than a lot of people here did, but even still I find this pretty surprising.   

According to [insert half baked superstitious interpretations of DCEU reception patterns here] The Suicide Squad is now locked for 90%+

TSS will probably do well with critics, but even if it weren’t going straight to Max, I can’t see it having been that big a hit at box office.  

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

TSS will probably do well with critics, but even if it weren’t going straight to Max, I can’t see it having been that big a hit at box office.  

agreed.

Is there any sequel which managed to do well, when the reception to the 1st mv was divisive at best?

9 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

So I am a little bit confused. WW84 will be on HBOMAX and in theaters until January 24, 2021. Then it moves to strictly theaters for 30 days and then what after that? I don’t know why theaters think they can make any money with that set up. Movies are usually well past 1/2 their earnings in cinema by week 4.

They don't. Warner Bros didn't give them a choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

what was the reception to Nolan's first batman movie?

Very good, but money was not good enough to immediately warrant a sequel, that's what was interesting.  It was not a sure thing until Warners saw home video receipts.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I'm far from a fan of Suicide Squad, but let's be objective, here: I don't think Warners would have invested in this project unless they felt the combination of James Gunn and a "new take" with the "familiars" would not only equal but boost the overall global box office potential of that...ugh...franchise?  

I feel like there's already a bit of downplaying going on in the forums regarding diminished potentials for what are now HBOMax simultaneous debuts.  While it's clear that Warners didn't have an amazing 2021 slate (they've basically hinted at that, themselves), they also clearly did not intend for all of these productions to just "scrape by."  They wouldn't have invested in a Suicide Squad "sequel" if the first hadn't done the box office it did, because the critical/audience reception was indeed pretty turgid.  Likewise, they obviously hoped during the last few years that the Godzilla/Kong franchise would become a much bigger thing than it has...

But all of these things are relative these days... as these productions, like Godzilla/Kong and many others, are so often funded by a combination of independent hedge-fund investors who have little stake in corporate politics and only want to make a profit.  So I can see why Legendary is fuming at the HBOMax decision, along with numerous other investors/talent.  Box Office potential is essential for these kinds of productions; it always matters.  

And yet...this weekend has proved that people...somewhere...are still going to the movies for WW84, in the middle of a pandemic!  Warners knew that WW84 was pretty much a "sure thing" at the box office, no matter what kind of overall reception it got -- and the current situation we're in -- where the film is basically a 'write-off' is one of the numerous reasons they're giving an immediate green light to WW3.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1