kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Every facebook group Ive been in the last few days, I've seen some people make comments about Wonder Woman 1984 glorifying rape? Is there some backlash to this movie I've missed ?

They are those typical dudebro comments like "rApE is oK wHeN iT haPpEns tO a mAN" like what the FUCK are they smoking? 
Anyone know what this is about? I've literally seen like 15 different people say this in various forums/posts since the movie released on christmas day.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Every facebook group Ive been in the last few days, I've seen some people make comments about Wonder Woman 1984 glorifying rape? Is there some backlash to this movie I've missed ?

They are those typical dudebro comments like "rApE is oK wHeN iT haPpEns tO a mAN" like what the FUCK are they smoking? 
Anyone know what this is about? I've literally seen like 15 different people say this in various forums/posts since the movie released on christmas day.

“Those people” (the usual suspects) are claiming it’s something to do with Steve’s return in the film. 

A reach. They’re just spouting whatever nonsense they can now. It’s an homage to 80’s romcoms, such as Heaven Can Wait, but that is over their heads.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

62% from 337. 6.2.

+12 (3-9)

Top Critics 70% 6.5. 67 ratings

I do think it’s being slightly review bombed now. 

Also interesting and suspicious, it has more reviews than any other high profile pandemic release already, 339. Tenet is nearest with 319. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

It’s because of the part where she 

Spoiler

Has sex with a stranger’s body while they can’t consent

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Top Critics 70% 6.5. 67 ratings

I do think it’s being slightly review bombed now. 

Also interesting and suspicious, it has more reviews than any other high profile pandemic release already, 339. Tenet is nearest with 319. 

I took a look at several movies to compare. Typically, the top critic score is lower than the overall score. Not the case here. So far, top critics aligns with verified audience score. These bloggers are dragging it down. So yeah, it’s kind of weird. But now,, the movie released and people can see it for themselves. The RT score is for posterity’s sake now. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

It’s because of the part where she 

Hide contents

Has sex with a stranger’s body while they can’t consent

Ha! So now the trolls are showing their SJW sides, never thought that would happen. 

Spoiler

Also, I didn’t see a sex scene. And the wishes were all undone. 

Edited by Krissykins

and here we go

According to Screen Engine, WW84 has already been watched more in its first week than any other 2020 SVOD title, edging out Hamilton (Disney+) and Soul. Screen Engine, one of Hollywood's leading research firms in terms of moviegoing  and consumer habits, began polling home entertainment viewers in earnest after the pandemic struck

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wonder-woman-1984-shows-promise-for-hbo-max-audience-survey-finds

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Oh wait.

Variety: Fuck THR.

https://variety.com/vip/wonder-woman-1984-release-strategy-isnt-clear-victory-for-warnermedia-1234875866/

‘WONDER WOMAN 1984’ RELEASE STRATEGY ISN’T CLEAR VICTORY FOR WARNERMEDIA

But the speedy greenlight of a new “Wonder Woman” doesn’t do all that much to indicate just how valuable the first sequel was until HBO Max numbers are made available. It may have just been a quick move to demonstrate a sense of confidence to the marketplace that it’s smooth sailing ahead for the Warners ship as it prepares to release as many as 18 studio titles on the service in 2021. 

The studio tried to project the same sense of confidence about the movie’s performance on HBO Max, noting that it “broke records” and reached nearly half of the app’s “retail subscribers” on its first day. That sounds impressive, but it’s not entirely clear without any hard numbers just how successful “WW84” was on the new streaming service. It’s not even clear what metric HBO Max is using to constitute what a view is: 2 minutes a la Netflix or the whole movie? 

The truth is that how many people watched is less important than another metric still to be answered: How many people who already pay for HBO but haven’t downloaded the app did and will do so as a result of “WW84?” How many non-HBO subs were persuaded this weekend to subscribe to HBO Max for the first time? This is the needle that needs to move in order for HBO Max to catch up to Netflix or Disney+. 

Until more data becomes available, “WW84” is less a revelation in the shadow of COVID and more an extensive calling card for subscribers and exhibitors alike to stick with Warner as a brand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

The mental gymnastics. Olympic level.

I mean... no? Really not, it’s quite straightforward.    

Although I personally wouldn’t use that word, it was 100% avoidable and is kind of a weird misstep.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

I wonder where I fall in the statistics of all of this...whenever they decide to report actual numbers. 

-- I subscribed to HBOMax this past weekend...but haven't gotten around to watching WW84, yet.  😂  (Probably tonight.)  

(I got distracted catching up with Wonder Woman '75 and Lynda Carter... 😂 )

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

“Those people” (the usual suspects) are claiming it’s something to do with Steve’s return in the film. 

A reach. They’re just spouting whatever nonsense they can now. It’s an homage to 80’s romcoms, such as Heaven Can Wait, but that is over their heads.  

Just a little nitpick: Heaven Can Wait is from 1978. But it's a good example - just like Steve, Warren Beatty's character comes back to life in another man's body.

• Thanks 1