kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Hahaha! Don’t ruin your reputation on this. First, I knew it wasn’t doing badly in both countries because you haven’t posted any negatives in either countries’ threads. Next, it’s possible that it may equal the first WW’a total in India. In Korea, it has stayed number one despite some COVID restrictions. Thank goodness, I follow some others in the know on Twitter like Luiz Fernando. 

Oh geez, you go on a hike for an hour an this is what happens.  :hahaha:  

It’s been doing badly in a fairly boring, not worth commenting on much way, not an “OMG this is excitingly shockingly bad” way like China. Luiz Fernando, respectfully, is putting some serious spin on and not a great source for how it’s actually doing.   

Also FWIW my personal feelings on the movie aren’t nearly as low as Jat’s. I’m quite surprised by the rotten because it felt like the sort of medium movie that ends up 65-75ish to me.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 4

People keep touting “normalcy” as if that’s a thing in 2020. Let’s be real. 

Negative numbers get far more attention than the positives on this forum, unsurprising. 

I’ve seen two posts max about the great Australia numbers.  

Anyway, now we know it’s the biggest PVOD film of the year and the biggest opening of the pandemic era. The end. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

We are.  

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Negative numbers get far more attention than the positives on this forum, unsurprising. 

Ehh... I don’t know if numbers a certain degree of badness actually get more attention than the same degree of goodness. But, there is certainly a bias in what gets discussion towards the more interesting/surprising numbers and away from more normal/expected numbers. Australia is doing great, but I was expecting it to do great as the only big Anglosphere market without much covid, so there just aren’t as many interesting observations to make imo. 

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Anyway, now we know it’s the biggest PVOD film of the year

Ehh, don’t really know that. 3rd party estimates differ. I think it’s probably true though fwiw.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

We are.  

Ehh... I don’t know if numbers a certain degree of badness actually get more attention than the same degree of goodness. But, there is certainly a bias in what gets discussion towards the more interesting/surprising numbers and away from more normal/expected numbers. Australia is doing great, but I was expecting it to do great as the only big Anglosphere market without much covid, so there just aren’t as many interesting observations to make imo. 

Ehh, don’t really know that. 3rd party estimates differ. I think it’s probably true though fwiw.

The THR article data was from a 3rd party. 

• Like 6

I stopped following this thread and decided to check back in, bad idea lol.

Not at all surprised this is about to go rotten, the discourse on social media and other places is bad, seems excessive to me but I don’t really care lol. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The THR article data was from a 3rd party. 

I know, that’s my point. Various 3rd party estimates differ from each other, but they all have to try to get at the data from kind of sideways approaches with some error.   

I really wish studios would just adopt a convention of being more transparent about streaming numbers, especially if WB goes through with their “whole year simultaneous SVOD” plan. But alas, the business incentive isn’t really there 😕 

ANTENNA data indicates that WW1984 (HBO Max) and Hamilton (Disney+) were the two most impactful SVOD releases of the year, based on Subscriber Acquisition in their respective Opening Weekends. WW1984 drove 40% more Gross Adds than Hamilton.

Source: Scott Mendelson Twitter

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Anyway, now we know it’s the biggest PVOD film of the year and the biggest opening of the pandemic era. The end. 

I imagine typo for svod ?

HBOMax is more expensive than some of it's competition (very limited) number as well (but on the reverse it was on platform with way less streamer before it's release, making it easier)

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-1984-100-million-worldwide-box-office-1234663766/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hopefully, it can make about 50-100

million more combined with what appears to be great SVOD numbers. Under the current conditions, this movie is hanging in there in theaters and appeared to do even better on streaming. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

China just yesterday broke the record for biggest previews ever for a fim.

Soul, a film without 0 theatrical window is heading for a breakout in China, probably will beat TENET to become biggest Hollywood film of 2020 there.

Japan we all know.

India a local blockbuster releasing 13 days from now.

Taiwan is doing big numbers since July with Peninsula, TENET and Demon Slayer making into top grossers of all time. Soul is about beat WW84 in dailies there despite starting 40% of it on day one.

So yeah, normalcy is there at box office in half the world.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

3 more reviews away from rotten. playing safe, may be 5.

As far as I am concerned, this is very overrated. Should have been rotten from the word go like Mutants and Dark Phoenix. Worst superhero film since Suicide Squad that I have seen. I haven't seen Mutants and Dark Phoenix. Also not including stuff like Bloodshot, Hellboy.

Three fresh ratings in a row lmao

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Gross adds for HBOmax will lose probably 2-3x as many as disney did

Maybe you’re right, cdsacken! Interested in why you think that though? HBOMAX has good content. However, I can see your point in that it is more expensive than the others. They probably need to do something about that, if they lose subscriptions.

5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

In Emperor Palpatine voice, “The HATE is stroooong with this one.” 

Trying to brush off numbers with positive spin and calling the other person a hater is not a good look imo. But I guess I probably shouldn’t say much more than that, this dynamic is pretty played out already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Trying to brush off numbers with positive spin and calling the other person a hater is not a good look imo. But I guess I probably shouldn’t say much more than that, this dynamic is pretty played out already.

What?! Oh, you’re talking to me? Lol...

I am not the one spinning numbers. I have been calling out those spinning numbers negatively. To suggest that the world is back to normal is lunacy. It is not. And WW84 has performed very well in Taiwan under the circumstances. Anyway, moving right along. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1