Jump to content
kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Recommended Posts

I guess if there’s something that could maybe be considered good news for this movie, it’s that the Rotten Tomatoes rating is currently back to 61%, with a couple more positive reviews from Top Critics having been added. It’s not much, but it does mean that the movie’s “fresh” status can live to fight another day. Of course, now that I said this, watch as a bunch of additional negative reviews come in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Hold well? No, I doubt anyone was expecting that. But I don’t think many people were expecting it to hold this poorly either with winter holidays and no competition.

There’s a fairly big COVID shaped elephant in the room though. Lack of competition and winter holidays were only going to help it so much. It opened fairly big for the conditions that it opened in, but I’m not even slightly surprised it dropped like a stone. The opening weekend is where the fans turn out, after that you’re looking at casual audiences who are presumably staying at home, and that’s reflected in the drop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barnack said:

we compare with 2009 the latest time Christmas was a friday

Overall I really like this post, but the last Jan 1-3 weekend was actually 2016 😛 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

There’s a fairly big COVID shaped elephant in the room though. Lack of competition and winter holidays were only going to help it so much. It opened fairly big for the conditions that it opened in, but I’m not even slightly surprised it dropped like a stone. The opening weekend is where the fans turn out, after that you’re looking at casual audiences who are presumably staying at home, and that’s reflected in the drop.

The HBOMax factor really does explain the big drop, but covid doesn’t imo. Tenet and Croods had good 2nd weekends during the pandemic, lots of movies have been holding well, most movies held well over this very weekend. The absolute gross of the 2nd weekend is absolutely humungously hurt by covid, but so was the OW, so that doesn’t really explain the %.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Overall I really like this post, but the last Jan 1-3 weekend was actually 2016 😛 

Mother of god....:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2015/12/25

 

Point break achieving 2.3 multiplier, Concussion 2.4, Daddy Home 2.42, Joy 2.26  do point out that the other movies this year seem to playing like usual for that scenario legs wise, just much lower in absolute.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Mother of god....:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2015/12/25

 

Point break achieving 2.3 multiplier, Concussion 2.4, Daddy Home 2.42, Joy 2.26  do point out that the other movies this year seem to playing like usual for that scenario legs wise, just much lower in absolute.

 

Daddy's Home: OW: 38.74mil, Total: 150.36 mil; Multi: 3.88

Joy: OW: 17.02 mil; Total: 56.45mil; Multi: 3.32

Concussion: OW: 10.51mil; Total: 34.53mil; Multi: 3.28

Point Break: OW: 9.8mil; Total: 28.78mil; Multi:  2.94

Hateful 8: OW: 4.61mil; Total: 54.12mil; Multi: 11.74

 

What numbers were you looking at for multi?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

Daddy's Home: OW: 38.74mil, Total: 150.36 mil; Multi: 3.88

Joy: OW: 17.02 mil; Total: 56.45mil; Multi: 3.32

Concussion: OW: 10.51mil; Total: 34.53mil; Multi: 3.28

Point Break: OW: 9.8mil; Total: 28.78mil; Multi:  2.94

Hateful 8: OW: 4.61mil; Total: 54.12mil; Multi: 11.74

 

What numbers were you looking at for multi?

He was looking at the 10 day cume as a multiple of OW, to compare to WW84.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WandaLegion said:

He was looking at the 10 day cume as a multiple of OW, to compare to WW84.

In that case we are still looking at a 1.7multi during the period where it'll be getting most of it's money. Not that we have daily numbers for WW84 just rough estimates through Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

In that case we are still looking at a 1.7multi during the period where it'll be getting most of it's money. Not that we have daily numbers for WW84 just rough estimates through Sunday.

Yep. Barnack was noting that the legs were very bad so far comparing to Xmas releases on the same calendar (even from this year during the pandemic).    
 

What % of that is down to the bad WOM and what % is just it having a normal HBOMax hybrid run is something we won’t really be able to evaluate for a long time if ever.

Edited by WandaLegion
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

In case anyone is confused, this was the placeholder photo they used while they were filming BvS. The decision to set the first Wonder Woman movie in WWI came about sometime after Patty Jenkins signed on. Evidently, Jenkins didn’t approve of the idea of Wonder Woman posing with severed heads for a photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Even if continuity wasn't an issue here, It would be very difficult to believe that the wonder woman depicted in thisbpicture would grow up to be the wonder woman we saw in both of her films. Patty's Diana would never pose with the heads of her enemies like she is a jihadist. 

 

While I do love Snyder's DCEU movie I think this picture is taking it too far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ledmonkey96 said:

well.... we could compare it's drops to the other movies in release? 

WW 84 Down 67%

Croods up 25%

News of the world Down 25%

Monster Hunter up 14%

Fatale up 6%

Promising Young Women down 8%

Pinocchio up 6%
War with Grandpa up 27%

 

I didn't even realise those films were in wide release. My bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Snyder really is the king of edginess. Doesn’t surprise me that he commissioned something like that before Jenkins signed on. I swear the dude’s brain is a 2009 deviant art account.

 

Superman being angsty and miserable, Batman being a mass murderer, and Wonder Woman posing with beheaded victims. Snyder should just complete his edgelord transformation into an edgegod by making an angsty Shadow the Hedgehog film to go alongside the Sonic movie now.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mango said:

Snyder really is the king of edginess. Doesn’t surprise me that he commissioned something like that before Jenkins signed on. I swear the dude’s brain is a 2009 deviant art account.

 

Superman being angsty and miserable, Batman being a mass murderer, and Wonder Woman posing with beheaded victims. Snyder should just complete his edgelord transformation into an edgegod by making an angsty Shadow the Hedgehog film to go alongside the Sonic movie now.

The arguments I've seen in the past for those Supes/Bats interpretations was the need to mark deep contrasts to the Reeve/previous movie Batman stuff. Not sure I necessarily agree, but that's an argument. But that goes out the window with WW. 

 

If his "vision" for WW had gone through as is, imagine the potential Internet outcry at WW only learning to have faith in humanity again because she met a guy she porked. I'm glad Jenkins didn't do that. 

 

Also unpopular Sonic fan opinion: Shadow blows. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Box Office Report - Weekend Box Office Report: January 1 - January 3, 2021

Internationally, Wonder Woman 1984 grossed an estimated $10.1 million this weekend from 41 markets. Through Sunday, respective international and global totals for Wonder Woman 1984 stand at $90.0 million internationally and $118.5 million globally. Wonder Woman 1984 did hold up especially well in Australia this weekend with a second weekend take of $3.2 million. The total for Wonder Woman 1984 through Sunday in Australia stands at $11.5 million. Additional international totals for Wonder Woman 1984 through Sunday include $25.0 million in China, $8.1 million in Taiwan, $4.4 million in Japan, $3.8 million in Brazil, $3.7 million in South Korea, $3.6 million in Singapore, $3.5 million in Mexico, $3.3 million in Spain, $3.1 million in Thailand, $2.6 million in the United Arab Emirates and $2.5 million in Saudi Arabia. Wonder Woman 1984 will debut in Russia on Thursday, January 14.

 

Interstellar (2014) - Trailer [HD] - YouTube

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, WandaLegion said:

The basic pattern of this movie’s reviews are the same as they’ve been for quite some time though:

WB was doing mostly digital screenings, and gave screeners to a very friendly group of critics to be able to market with “certified fresh”

The first 100 reviews were 87% fresh

the next 254 reviews have been literally exactly 50/50  

starting with a gap of 74 pos-neg and getting 50% thereafter, a movie will dip below 59.5% around the 390th review 

Every DCEU movie except MOS and SS has gotten more than 390 total reviews   
 

All points to one inevitable conclusion.   
 

Of course, there’s not really any objective significance to 59 vs 60, and reviews aren’t super important for one’s own enjoyment of a film or for its success in theaters/MAX. It’s mostly a historical piece of trivia as, afaik, the first certified fresh movie that will dip rotten.

Yeeup   
 

If anyone knows of a counterexample to this being the first certified movie to dip rotten at some point, I would be pretty interested.      
 

I guess conversely, have a movie ever been rotten after the first 100 but eventually ended up certified? That seems even less likely since the studios try to get earlier reviews from friendlier sources.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.