kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

I suspect the late critics who dragged this to rotten were influenced by the mob who very aggressively panned the movie on all social media. There's no other explanation for this huge drop. WB should have screened the movie for all critics at the same time.

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I suspect the late critics who dragged this to rotten were influenced by the mob who very aggressively panned the movie on all social media. There's no other explanation for this huge drop. WB should have screened the movie for all critics at the same time.

it's a bad movie though. Something close to movies like Superman 3 and 4. It should have been rotten from the beginning

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can we all leave Richard Donner's Superman in the past now? I love those movies too, but they belong to their time. There is no modern box office performance to support the idea that audiences want this kind of movie from DC. It's sad to see WB wasting time and money on movies that fans are not interested in seeing, when there's so much potential to the franchise.

16 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Same, I'd even watch the first half of Suicide Squad over WW84 any day lol.

I will never watch SS again, but I watched BOP/Harley Quinn for the first time last weekend, the night after WW84. I will probably never watch BOP again, either, but hot take: Birds of Prey is *also* a better-made, more creative movie than WW84!  Plus Margot Robbie can act the pants off Gadot anyday.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I will never watch SS again, but I watched BOP/Harley Quinn for the first time last weekend, the night after WW84. I will probably never watch BOP again, either, but hot take: Birds of Prey is *also* a better-made, more creative movie than WW84!  Plus Margot Robbie can act the pants off Gadot anyday.  

It’s basically just female Deadpool. I wouldn’t consider that creative. 

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Can we all leave Richard Donner's Superman in the past now? I love those movies too, but they belong to their time. There is no modern box office performance to support the idea that audiences want this kind of movie from DC. It's sad to see WB wasting time and money on movies that fans are not interested in seeing, when there's so much potential to the franchise.

What I find weird whenever people bring up about Donner/Superman for the WW84 discourse is that you can find its tonal descendants thriving....over at the MCU. Not directly trying to ape it as much as an organic evolution of it. 

32 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Both are messy (and both you can clearly notice got tinkered with considerably in post) but BOP I think was at least decent? It's a good afternoon diversion without feeling too much like a slog (a word that kept going through my mind for WW84, despite some merits.) 

If I do have to criticize BOP, for a would-be team movie....none of the other women feel as fleshed out as Harley. A good supporting character in these spandex films is that you would want to follow around in their own spin-off or in another franchise. I mean Huntress apparently exists just for one joke (a good one mind you, but still...) 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Pretty good, all things considered. I don’t know what people expected at the box office with 60% box office closed in US (notably in all major markets) and 95% closed in Canada. The success/failure of WW84 will ultimately be judged by what the streaming numbers are. This is something we’ve known or should have known from the time Warner made their HBOMAX announcement. 

9 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Held a bit better than I expected with 3M, 4.1M for the week. Seems to be headed to around 40M, fighting with Croods for #2 pandemic movie DOM.

That's assuming that the actual is accurate since last weeks actual was a 67% drop after a 45~% estimate

8 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

That's assuming that the actual is accurate since last weeks actual was a 67% drop after a 45~% estimate

Huh? I think you might be getting confused with forecasts here. We only got one number form WB last weekend, 5.5M. Same reporting pattern as Tenet. This 3.0M is final for the weekend.