kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But a lot of interactions with women; it is very obvious to understand what she means.

It meant that she had a textbook understanding of male anatomy/ heteroseuxal intercourse and zero experience with men. This led to her curiosity of Steve , which turns into physical attraction, eventually something deeper, love. That doesn't take away from any previous feelings she had when only around woman. Frankly I don't see why anyone cares. I've been around gay and bisexual people my whole life. Who you are attracted to doesn't define you nor is it necessarily static.

• Like 1

Complaining about Diana not having a girlfriend is about as pedantic as complaining about Captain America and Bucky not being romantically linked. The character wasn't even "canonically" bisexual until after the film had already wrapped principal photography, and her coming out was about as canonical as a J.K. Rowling tweet. This is different from something like Elsa, where there were instances in the first film that could easily be interpreted as queer coding.

Also, to imply that bisexual women can't have boyfriends seems disingenuous at best.

27 minutes ago, TMP said:

Complaining about Diana not having a girlfriend is about as pedantic as complaining about Captain America and Bucky not being romantically linked. The character wasn't even "canonically" bisexual until after the film had already wrapped principal photography, and her coming out was about as canonical as a J.K. Rowling tweet. This is different from something like Elsa, where there were instances in the first film that could easily be interpreted as queer coding.

Also, to imply that bisexual women can't have boyfriends seems disingenuous at best.

The man does love his bucky.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:30 AM, captainwondyful said:

...and Steve should be nothing more than a pretty face to look at.

Bad take alert. Also see the similarly misguided "MJ should be nothing more than a pretty face/trophy girlfriend for Peter Parker" argument.

I couldn't put it more articulately and succinctly as Patty herself:

w1coj1pebxm21.jpg?width=744&auto=webp&s=

Patty has been vocal about her love for Lois Lane. So to fashion Steve after Lois makes perfect sense for her, and is brilliant on multiple levels. You get a great male character modelled after a woman character, which rarely happens, if at all, letting him play a role often belittled and frowned upon (that of a supportive love interest). The fact that he also serves Diana's characterization by giving her a human anchor that makes her human in turn makes his usage that much more ingenious. 

So of course Steve had to return if he's Diana's Lois Lane. Patty's favorite superhero film had Superman turn back time to bring Lois back after all. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Bad take alert. Also see the similarly misguided "MJ should be nothing more than a pretty face/trophy girlfriend for Peter Parker" argument.

Patty has been vocal about her love for Lois Lane. So to fashion Steve after Lois makes perfect sense for her, and is brilliant on multiple levels. You get a great male character modelled after a woman character, which rarely happens, if at all, letting him play a role often belittled and frowned upon (that of a supportive love interest). The fact that he also serves Diana's characterization by giving her a human anchor that makes her human in turn makes his usage that much more ingenious. 

So of course Steve had to return if he's Diana's Lois Lane. Patty's favorite superhero film had Superman turn back time to bring Lois back after all. 

There does seem to be an aversion to giving female protagonists love interests these days, or at the very least, male love interests. For the record, I don’t have a problem with that. I didn’t mind Captain Marvel not having a love interest, nor would I be bothered if they made her gay (although China probably would). I just think it’s weird how Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, etc., pretty much always need to have their love interests, but giving a female hero one is seen as problematic by some. 

Edited by WittyUsername

23 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Not really. 🤷‍♂️ 

Yeh really. Read his post lol, hard to argue with that

2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Again, holy hell. You people have no freaking clue sometimes. Maybe let's keep the political takes out of here. Because apparently very few of you have a clue.

Haha. 

“Keep political takes out of it” ....but.... “you’re all wrong” 😂

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Again, holy hell. You people have no freaking clue sometimes. Maybe let's keep the political takes out of here. Because apparently very few of you have a clue.

I 100% agree. This discussion of Diana's sexual preferences is one of the most riciduous things I have seen in a while.

I am interested in what WW armor will look like. Given that the production desingers were so accurate in their World War One stuff in WW, I expect they will base in on actual  Ancient Greek Armor, rather then some fantasy design.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Bravo.

When did it become sinful and un-feminist to give female protagonists a love interest? 

That is the biggest crock of shit I have ever seen.

A female protagonist having a love interest isn't inherently sexist, and it doesn't inherently mean that she "needs" someone to be complete.

At the end of the day, I am happy that Jenkins doesn't adhere to that odd strand of feminism that equates celibacy with empowerment.

• Like 1

I legit don’t care if you don’t like that I don’t like Steve Trevor or think he is useless. I am queer woman who has been stanning Diana and her Amazon sisters for years. I am not here for Steve Trevor. I will never be here for Steve Trevor. Maybe, I know this is shocking, but some things just don’t have to have men in them or be about them. And I am done. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

As a huge fan of canonical Wonder Woman history, I am glad that Steve Trevor will always be a part of Wonder Woman.

And thankfully, Chris Pine was an audience favorite in Wonder Woman, and the relationship between DIana and Steve was undoubtedly the heart of the film.

I bet that every eventual Wonder Woman reboot we ever get will include Steve Trevor, and that is fine with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

some things just don’t have to have men in them 

a several hundred million dollar commercial investment designed to make substantial profit such as this movie is not one of the things you describe 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 2