kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

50 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I am becoming more and more pessimistic when it comes to DC movies and their worldwide appeal. It probably will do mediocre overseas like all DC movies except Aquaman and in the US will probably earn 350M at most.

Why would the sequel to a well loved movie decrease domestically?

Some people who think WW1 was a success mostly due to alleged "female superhero novelty" might think the 2nd will decrease since the novelty's gone or something, I guess.

Edited by Lake
  • Like 1

I personally think this movie will increase overseas and stay around the same number domestically (with a larger opening weekend and shorter legs). How much will it increase overseas? I’ll judge more once I see a trailer. 

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Because there is precedent for it to happen. There have been cases where sequels to well received and high grossing Superhero movies have decreased domestically

Iron Man 1 > Iron Man 2

TDK > TDKR

SM1 > SM2

Avengers 1 > Age of Ultron

Deadpool 1 > Deadpool 2

Not saying that WW1984 will decrease but its not like its an impossibility. Of course there are cases of the reverse happening too like GotG2 > GotG1. I think it will all depend on how good the movie is. Worldwide on the other hand I think may have a better chance of improving.

Edit - Damn did not see that @HouseOfTheSun made a similar post

Edited by ZeeSoh

On 4/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, Lake said:

Some people who think WW1 was a success mostly due to alleged "female superhero novelty" might think the 2nd will decrease since the novelty's gone or something, I guess.

That’s my thought process as to how its box office will play out. 

On 4/27/2019 at 6:41 PM, TMP said:

Spider-Man, Avengers, The Dark Knight, Deadpool, it has happened many times that a well-received sequel to a well received huge superhero movie, does not increase.

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Spider-Man, Avengers, The Dark Knight, Deadpool, it has happened many times that a well-received sequel to a well received huge superhero movie, does not increase.

The sequels to those were not as well received as the first movie.  I'm betting WW2 will be as beloved as the first

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Wonder Woman had a 4x multiplier, so unless Jenkins & co. really fuck up I can't see sub-$400m dom

28 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

That’s my thought process as to how its box office will play out. 

If the "female superhero novelty" is why the first one did so well, and not the movie itself, shouldn't it have had a bigger opening and stubbier legs?