kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

26 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If we're talking about this year, that's because they were NOT GOOD.

Kinda think that might have something to do with it.

(Shazam certainly had competition, IMO so that gets discounted)

I meant previous years too. BvS, for example, had no competition too when it was released if I recall correctly.

27 minutes ago, Alli said:

it's not gonna be the case here. the movie is good and the first one had amazing legs

This one won't have x4 multiplier and it doesn't have any bonuses to reach 500 mln.

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I meant previous years too. BvS, for example, had no competition too when it was released if I recall correctly.

BvS doesn't exactly help on the 'not good' argument.  More to the point it did still manage to do more than its immediate predecessor. 

Edited by Porthos

26 minutes ago, Alli said:

excel wants WW1984 to release before Black Widow. He thinks BW would steal WW's thunder. NOT GONNA HAPPEN

I wouldn't bet against Marvel. They turned CM into a bigger global hit even though WW had advantage of being an iconic SH, first solo female SH movie in a loooong time so technically more groundbreaking event than CM release and way better reviews. And yet. granted, BW won't have cross-promotion with Avengers but I'm just saying that it shouldn't be counted out as a threat to steal the thunder cause it legit is. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't bet against Marvel. They turned CM into a bigger global hit even though WW had advantage of being an iconic SH, first solo female SH movie in a loooong time so technically more groundbreaking event than CM release and way better reviews. And yet. granted, BW won't have cross-promotion with Avengers but I'm just saying that it shouldn't be counted out as a threat to steal the thunder cause it legit is. 

CM cross-promotion with Avengers is a much bigger advantage. No one OS cares if the movie is the first female superhero movie in a long time or the fifth but they do care if the movie is closely related to one of the biggest films of the decade. The release date also helped CM's domestic gross. It would have made 5 mil less than Wonder Woman if it didn't release so close to Endgame.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

I don't see how BLACK WIDOW will steal WW84's thunder - it's not like these movies are appealing just because they have female leads. People want to know more about Black Widow and people loved WONDER WOMAN.

They can very much coexist. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I don't see how BLACK WIDOW will steal WW84's thunder - it's not like these movies are appealing just because they have female leads. People want to know more about Black Widow and people loved WONDER WOMAN.

They can very much coexist. 

excel1 has certain, shall we say, pre-existing issues when it comes to DC vs Marvel.

(his ultimate goal would be for Disney to move Black Widow out of the calendar area completely so WW1984 has the spotlight to itself)

The only place where WW1984 may slightly increase is China. But it'll drop in the rest the world, even DOM. OS don't really care about this character, so there's no reason why it would increase there.

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

The only place where WW1984 may slightly increase is China. But it'll drop in the rest the world, even DOM. OS don't really care about the character, so there's no reason why it would increase there.

Amazing how one person can speak for the whole overseas market. 

• Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

The only place where WW1984 may slightly increase is China. But it'll drop in the rest the world, even DOM. OS don't really care about this character, so there's no reason why it would increase there.

OS didn't care about the first film because it was set in WW1. The biggest challenge 1984 has is the UEFA Football Championship in Europe but Jurassic World 2 and The Incredibles 2 did fine with the World Cup in 2018 so shouldn't be such a big deal.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Amazing how one person can speak for the whole overseas market. 

Numbers speak better than any person. WW did half of its BO in US and showed just okay result OS for cbm genre. And it didn't have spectacular legs there.

Edited by Firepower
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm just hoping @ViewerAnon can get us some reactions (or at least tell us how good it is compared to the first film) after today's screening just so that we know the movie won't suffer in the boxoffice because of quality.

Well, if the movie is not good they have 1 year for fix it...

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

OS didn't care about the first film because it was set in WW1. The biggest challenge 1984 has is the UEFA Football Championship in Europe but Jurassic World 2 and The Incredibles 2 did fine with the World Cup in 2018 so shouldn't be such a big deal.

I'm not sure if UEFA would impact it anyway. I think it'll slightly decrease because OS didn't like it as much as US, judging by reviews in Europe and CIS.