kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

@excel1 if I may make an observation, you are WAY too obsessed with copying the "Marvel formula" exactly.  And I do mean exactly.

The truth of the matter is, IW/EG would have dominated anywhere on the calendar placement.  Stick either of them in January for criminy's sakes and I doubt it would have mattered that much in the end.

There is nothing magical about the last weekend of April/first weekend of May.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.  Zilch.

That Marvel is dominating there with its movies is something of an accident of history but mostly just good planning on the crafting end of storytelling.

Black Widow isn't moving.  Or if it is, it'll just move up a week in to April and not care about WW1984.  After all, when Deadpool 2 moved up a week (which in retrospect still baffles me), Disney just yawned and moved IW up one week into the last week of April.  If WB is so stupid as to move WW1984 into the second week of May, BW will probably just jump up to mid-April and not care in the slightest.

Going "first" isn't really all that important in the end.  Being better is.  And WW1984 is getting more than enough positive buzz that it won't matter where it's at.  

As I pointed out before, it already has a empty week before it (presuming Artemis Fowl crashes and burns) and after it.  The second week before it had FF9 which is... whatever.  Two weeks after WW1984 is Pixar.  Big deal, as JW and IO showed.

If and only if Artemis Fowl starts to gain some momentum and buzz is there any cause for concern, IMO.  And even then I tend to think it's going to be in WW1984's shadow, not the other way around.

tl;dr: Stop obsessing over the Marvel Method and just let WW1984 dominate where it is at.  Quality and buzz win out more times than not. And as JW and countless other movies have shown, you don't have to be 'first' to rake in a LOT of money.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@excel1 if I may make an observation, you are WAY too obsessed with copying the "Marvel formula" exactly.  And I do mean exactly.

The truth of the matter is, IW/EG would have dominated anywhere on the calendar placement.  Stick either of them in January for criminy's sakes and I doubt it would have mattered that much in the end.

There is nothing magical about the last weekend of April/first weekend of May.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.  Zilch.

That Marvel is dominating there with its movies is something of an accident of history but mostly just good planning on the crafting end of storytelling.

Black Widow isn't moving.  Or if it is, it'll just move up a week in to April and not care about WW1984.  After all, when Deadpool 2 moved up a week (which in retrospect still baffles me), Disney just yawned and moved IW up one week into the last week of April.  If WB is so stupid as to move WW1984 into the second week of May, BW will probably just jump up to mid-April and not care in the slightest.

Going "first" isn't really all that important in the end.  Being better is.  And WW1984 is getting more than enough positive buzz that it won't matter where it's at.  

As I pointed out before, it already has a empty week before it (presuming Artemis Fowl crashes and burns) and after it.  The second week before it had FF9 which is... whatever.  Two weeks after WW1984 is Pixar.  Big deal, as JW and IO showed.

If and only if Artemis Fowl starts to gain some momentum and buzz is there any cause for concern, IMO.  And even then I tend to think it's going to be in WW1984's shadow, not the other way around.

tl;dr: Stop obsessing over the Marvel Method and just let WW1984 dominate where it is at.  Quality and buzz win out more times than not. And as JW and countless other movies have shown, you don't have to be 'first' to rake in a LOT of money.

Besides for all we know that Pixar film might not even happen barring an D23 surprise.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Nope. Cannot and should not be leaving a single dollar on the table. Cement WW as an Batman/Iron-man/Spider-man sized draw. Make her the center of the attention. This needs to open first. 

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Nope. Cannot and should not be leaving a single dollar on the table. Cement WW as an Batman/Iron-man/Spider-man sized draw. Make her the center of the attention. This needs to open first. 

She is already. Being the center recently isn’t the best for WW, legs are where it’s at as it won’t do $200M+ OW anyways,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

You know, repeating the same argument all the time doesn't actually convince anyone 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Well, BW isn't moving so you're gonna have to come to terms with it sooner or later.  Or not.  Your choice in the end.

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Already Very Good reactions this far out is fucking terrific.Obviously some reshoots are going to happen and Queen Patty obviously will deliver.

Oh there are reshoots? Delayed a year AND reshoots does not bode well for it. Patty Jenkins is very mediocre as a director, maybe this time people will realize it because they won't be blinded by novelty. 

• ...wtf 1

42 minutes ago, Hunch said:

Oh there are reshoots? Delayed a year AND reshoots does not bode well for it. Patty Jenkins is very mediocre as a director, maybe this time people will realize it because they won't be blinded by novelty. 

There are no reshoots currently planned, and if they were to happen they'd probably just be small pick-ups.

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Reshoots happen for like every superhero movie nowadays. It’d be weird if it didn’t happen honestly.

Slightly edited your post.

Movies, at least in modern times, have always undergone reshoots/pickups.  It's only recently that some folks have started to freak out at the practice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Slightly edited your post.

Movies, at least in modern times, have always undergone reshoots/pickups.  It's only recently that some folks have started to freak out at the practice.

Doesn’t Christopher Nolan not do reshoots for his movies? Of course, he would be the exception in that case. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Doesn’t Christopher Nolan not do reshoots for his movies? Of course, he would be the exception in that case. 

I just tracked down the claim on that and... I'll say I'm slightly skeptical since the line between reshoot and pickup (which I intentionally included) can be a mighty thin reed. 

Still, sure I'd go with 'exception to the rule'.  Still, occasional rare exceptions notwithstanding, a very standard practice to have reshoots/pickups.

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

WW1984 will be just fine. It doesn't have to open before Black Widow of all movies to win.

This kind of thinking is what got WB in to trouble in the first place with the DC property. Obsessing over the competition.

Edited by JB33