kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just now, Jonwo said:

I assume WB isn't getting Bond if they're slotting WW2 a week before it. I'm surprised they didn't go for November 22nd since that'd give them more breathing room

I think Frozen 2 comes out the next weekend. They would be fighting for a lot of the same audience. 

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

This new release date is weird. Doesn't seem well-suited for a strong holiday push (it'll get a Thanksgiving bump tho).

Maybe WB saw how big Thor was and decided to put WW2 there. I've would gone for February 2020. I do think pitching WW a week before or after Bond especially OS is a bit risky

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

While Bond 25 is a concern overseas, not sure how risky it is domestically when Spectre barely crossed 200 million.

It's possible if WB gets the Bond OS rights, it'll move back a few weeks to say November 22nd to give WW2 breathing room and release WW2 OS a week earlier

I like the date change...it will probably mean WW2 (coming off a dead Oct, since we don't have anything scheduled there yet) gets the 6-7 screens at local 12s that Thor 3 got for opening weekend this year...AND she makes sure Disney doesn't try to fit a super in Nov/Dec, so she gets all supers for 2 months...I mean, where would Disney put one that wouldn't eat its own Star Wars/Frozen audience?

Edited by TwoMisfits

13 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

This new release date is weird. Doesn't seem well-suited for a strong holiday push (it'll get a Thanksgiving bump tho).

They are betting on weeks before Star Wars over the holiday push. It makes complete sense to me. That and delaying to 20s Valetine's Day would make the most sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think this release date works better tbh. It'll have durability throughout the holidays.

WB seems to have a tentpole in November now, they just alternate it with Fantastic Beasts

If WB does manage to secure the Bond OS release, I think they'd be able to persuade EON and MGM/Annapurna to push it back two weeks. 

Edited by Jonwo

24 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Not really. Warner wanted it to open in 2019 and not push it back to 2020 and November is the only other month as they wouldn't be ready for an August date. Also means Shazam and Wonder Woman 2 will be in production around the same time.

Just now, TheMovieman said:

Not really. Warner wanted it to open in 2019 and not push it back to 2020 and November is the only other month as they wouldn't be ready for an August date. Also means Shazam and Wonder Woman 2 will be in production around the same time.

I suspect Suicide Squad 2 will be August 2019 or February 2020

I mean, I know it's around some of the HP releases. But release windows are shorter than ever these days. I guess they get the Thanksgiving holidays but they're gonna get scraps for the Christmas season.

Isn't that true for all tentpoles released in early November?

• Like 1

I mean, I know it's around some of the HP releases. But release windows are shorter than ever these days. I guess they get the Thanksgiving holidays but they're gonna get scraps for the Christmas season.

This movie is bound to be more frontloaded than the first so if it's still in 1,000+ theaters by the time Christmas comes WB will consider it a win.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Isn't that true for all tentpoles released in early November?

Sure. But beginning of November still seems like a step down. Other blockbusters either targeted mid-Nov (like Twilight or THG) or were slightly smaller-scale blockbusters to begin with (Bond, etc).

(Obviously I'm just talking domestically).

• Like 1