kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

The problem with the Schumacher films wasn't the tone (in fact the campy tone and the absurdity of those films is the best part) but the filmmaking. Schumacher failed to get even basic things like shot composition and line delivery right.

Haven't seen Batman Forever but I thought it was one of the worst parts about Batman and Robin.

The big problem with the Joel Schumacher films is that they’re basically neon toy commercials, not necessarily that they’re silly. I may not be a big fan of the Tim Burton Batman films, but they’re pretty campy as well. They just happen to be more grotesque than the Schumacher films. Campy superhero films are everywhere. It’s not a death sentence. The Sam Raimi Spider-Man films are ridiculously campy, but people still love the first two. As long as there’s something of substance in the film, campiness is fine. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm pretty sure the final cut won't be 160 minutes long. Those test screenings were are a month or two back.

Determinatng final length is one of the main reasons they have test screenings (which are totally different then preview or advanced screenings).

If the audience is  obviously getting restless and bored, it's a sign that film is moving too slow, and some careful cutting is needed..

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

My three favourite comic book movies of all time (Spider-Man 2, Speed Racer, and Josie and the Pussycats) are really campy films but I love them because they are incredibly endearing and have something interesting to say. Considering that Jenkins had something interesting to say with the first film which was also endearing, I have a hard time seeing that this film doesn't have both those qualities. 

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

We’re back to panicking about this movie? Joy...

People don't get they have test screenings to see how a film plays before an audience and fix it's weak points.

I don't expect WW84 to be quite a good as the first film..sequels seldom are as good... but I do expect a good movie. If DC blows it, a lot of the momentum they have gained over the past year will vanish.

Just now, cax16 said:

Bring on the camp! 

Depends on how it is done:

Camp as in the 1966 Batman TV series Good

Camp as in the Schumacher Batman films Bad.Very Bad.

Of course if you automatically like anything with the "DC" label on it....

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

My three favourite comic book movies of all time (Spider-Man 2, Speed Racer, and Josie and the Pussycats) are really campy films but I love them because they are incredibly endearing and have something interesting to say. Considering that Jenkins had something interesting to say with the first film which was also endearing, I have a hard time seeing that this film doesn't have both those qualities. 

Hang on - Spider-Man 2 was campy?

• Like 1

“Did you say cheesy? Cheesy is one of the words banned in my world. I’m tired of sincerity being something we have to be afraid of doing. It’s been like that for 20 years, that the entertainment and art world has shied away from sincerity, real sincerity, because they feel they have to wink at the audience because that’s what the kids like. We have to do the real stories now. The world is in crisis.

I wanted to tell a story about a hero who believes in love, who is filled with love, who believes in change and the betterment of mankind. I believe in it. It’s terrible when it makes so many artists afraid to be sincere and truthful and emotional, and relegates them to the too-cool-for-school department. Art is supposed to bring beauty to the world.“

-Patty Jenkins

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

27 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

“Did you say cheesy? Cheesy is one of the words banned in my world. I’m tired of sincerity being something we have to be afraid of doing. It’s been like that for 20 years, that the entertainment and art world has shied away from sincerity, real sincerity, because they feel they have to wink at the audience because that’s what the kids like. We have to do the real stories now. The world is in crisis.

I wanted to tell a story about a hero who believes in love, who is filled with love, who believes in change and the betterment of mankind. I believe in it. It’s terrible when it makes so many artists afraid to be sincere and truthful and emotional, and relegates them to the too-cool-for-school department. Art is supposed to bring beauty to the world.“

-Patty Jenkins

gatsby-thanks.png

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

-Patty Jenkins

Now I’m starting to wonder what a Todd Phillips Wonder Woman movie would look like. 

• Haha 2