kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Numbers speak better than any person. WW did half of its BO in US and showed just okay result OS for cbm genre. And it didn't have spectacular legs there

I don’t know, Legs seem fine to me on this list. Did pretty well actually in some places cause it didn’t really open huge anywhere. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=wonderwoman.htm

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

I'm not sure if UEFA would impact it anyway. I think it'll slightly decrease because OS didn't like it as much as US, judging by reviews in Europe and CIS.

OS seemed to like it fine. The problem was WW1 and the competition. The Last Knight and The Mummy flopped but made a lot of money OS and took away way a lot of screens. Despicable Me 3 also took away a lot OS.

• Like 2

The only thing I think that hurts this movie is bad reviews and bad buzz. If buzz is like the first movie after reviews I think this will be huge. Just look at how the poster trended like crazy on social media. 

I also agree with others and think this and BW will coexist just fine( and I expect BW to do very well).

I’m honestly not looking forward to test screening reactions, the last thing I think anyone wants to hear is bad buzz one year out. 

Edited by cax16

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know, Legs seem fine to me on this list. Did pretty well actually in some places cause it didn’t really open huge anywhere. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=wonderwoman.htm

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

OS seemed to like it fine. The problem was WW1 and the competition. The Last Knight and The Mummy flopped but made a lot of money OS and took away way a lot of screens. Despicable Me 3 also took away a lot OS.

I mean OS liked WW, but reviews were closer to "it's alright" than "omg, it's amazing!". Legs were fine, but not something spectacular. I don't think there's enough excitement for it to have at least slight increase, but we'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

WW1 was almost purely an OS affair....

Mainly an affair between European countries and I'm pretty sure that the fact that it portrayed The Central Power like they were Nazis alienated half those countries too.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

I mean OS liked WW, but reviews were closer to "it's alright" than "omg, it's amazing!". Legs were fine, but not something spectacular. I don't think there's enough excitement for it to have at least slight increase, but we'll see. 

I just don’t know what you’re basing your statements on cause on the list it seems to have done well in most markets, especially considering it had pretty big competition from TF and the mummy (overseas). Those two movies did over 600m overseas I think right? 

I mean you could be right and it could decrease but the way I see it is WW2 (with good buzz) has a much larger opening weekend domestically and has weaker legs but stays close to the firsts domestic numbers and it increases a bit overseas. That’s just my guess. And that all only happens if buzz is very good for the movie and competition stays the same. 

Edited by cax16

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Mainly an affair between European countries and I'm pretty sure that the fact that it portrayed The Central Power like they were Nazis alienated half those countries too.

Yep and the movie worked really well in the US, Canada, Australia and Mexico did the usual new SH entry in China, it is extremely well known historical event and should be able to work no ?

That a good point about alienating some countries, but I am not sure looking at yearly finish that it was special in Bulgarie/Germany versus other market.

Spain: #25

France: #26

Germany: #34

Bulgari: #37

Japan: #38

Italy: #42

Portugal: #56

Black Widow will no doubt move if WW84 moves up. WW will open to $200m if it moves up and is the star of the summer; it will open in 120-130 range if it stays where it is 

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Black Widow will no doubt move if WW84 moves up. WW will open to $200m if it moves up and is the star of the summer; it will open in 120-130 range if it stays where it is 

Just like CA3 moved back when BvS was scheduled to be released on the same day as it?

You need to let this whole thing go. This movie isn’t going to move near BW.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Dubbing doesn't work on this kind of movie, you lose the emotional connection unless it's done well.

That's why movies that have more visual spectacle and don't rely so much on dialog tend to do better outside the Anglosphere.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Just like CA3 moved back when BvS was scheduled to be released on the same day as it?

That was for like 2 weeks

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

No. No CBM other than the upcoming Avengers 5 is doing a $200M OW even if WW1984 kickstarted the summer.

I’m not denying that I think WW1984 will be bigger than BW, but it is not in the best interest for WB especially since they’re trying to kickstart Scoob and knowing Disney even if they do budge, will put it very closer to WW1984, ie the week before/after.

WW1984 has better access to summer days therefore better legs, as well as weaker competition as nothing but really idk Tenet should be a threat as whatever Pixar is brewing is counterprogramming as is In The Heights and Minions 2 is about to act like Pets 2 did.

26 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

No. No CBM other than the upcoming Avengers 5 is doing a $200M OW even if WW1984 kickstarted the summer.

WW84 will absolutely open to $200m if it kicks off the summer. If it blends in with everything else by opening in middle of June, different story. 

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WW84 will absolutely open to $200m if it kicks off the summer. If it blends in with everything else by opening in middle of June, different story. 

No. I don’t think it is increasing 100% from OW in the May slot, no CBM in recent years (ie. 2008-19 has done that with out serious team ups like or strong home video sales like TDK).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

No. I don’t think it is increasing 100% from OW in the May slot, no CBM in recent years (ie. 2008-19 has done that with out serious team ups like or strong home video sales like TDK).

I don’t think the opening weekend is going to jump that much but WW is about to enter the top 20 for all time Blu Ray sales. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

WW's weekend was artificially low. It's release date sucked as did its marketing for the most part.

ISOLATE THIS MOVIE AND IT WILL EXPLODE. Last weekend of April - DO IT

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WW's weekend was artificially low. It's release date sucked as did its marketing for the most part.

ISOLATE THIS MOVIE AND IT WILL EXPLODE. Last weekend of April - DO IT

WW had really strong marketing, you can’t blame the marketing. In my opinion, the damage from the past DCEU movies is what caused it to go low (note: IIRC it had the highest solo CBM debut at the time). 

I mean AOU did less than JW with the first of May corridor.