kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

9 hours ago, cax16 said:

I personally think the overseas numbers have a better chance of increasing. Just my opinion. 

Yeh I think so too. Domestic is harder to increase from a $400m original 

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

You would think with the huge OS success of CM that this would stand a better chance OS this time. But who knows. Could pull GotG2

Yeh it should grow, but it also isn’t “required viewing” one month before one of the biggest films ever though, like CM was. 

I think the release date is good enough that, with a good marketing campaign, the DOM OW should be over 150 at least, which will give it a chance to finish around the same mark DOM as the first one. I don't think it's impossible to increase, even with that high a number for the original, but there's a lot of factors for that, and a loooong time to go. Internationally, I can't see how it doesn't increase at least 25%. China for sure, probably a few other Asian territories, Latin America should do good. The big question mark is Europe. Especially with the Euros on - and them being spread across half the continent this time, with games to be hosted everywhere from Azerbaijan and Russia, to Romania and Hungary, Spain, Germany, the UK, etc... 

Curious if they'll release this internationally way ahead of domestic. I'm intrigued what they'll do. 

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

You would think with the huge OS success of CM that this would stand a better chance OS this time. But who knows. Could pull GotG2

Apples and oranges, IMO. WW didn't click with OS like CM for some reason, despite being a much better known name and the the first superheroine movie in a long time. And way better reviews. Yet here we are. Someone on the forum said that, for example, women in SK didn't care for WW but were crazy for CM. So I think it's down to concept. Something about WW concept just didn't connect while CM did. And I don't think it's DCEUs MCU cause Aquaman had no problem destroying both WW and CM OS. 

point being, just because one movie made more, it doesn't mean the other will follow. I would love for WW to make over 1B especially since I think Gal is magic as WW (Brie is very good as CM but Gal is MAGIC) so want OS to embrace the character in the biggest way possible. But I can't let my bias create the blind spot that OS just didn't go for WW although 400M is respectable business.

• Like 2

I'm not the least surprised that a WWI-set film didn't connect with Asian audiencies, to be honest. Plus the Marvel brand is stronger overall at this point.

We'll see how well the 1980s setting sells outside the West - I think many people not in Europe/US will shrug at that, but it's not as "marked" as a film set in the 1910s. Also the DC brand is in a much better place after Aquaman, too.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Apples and oranges, IMO. WW didn't click with OS like CM for some reason, despite being a much better known name and the the first superheroine movie in a long time. And way better reviews. Yet here we are. Someone on the forum said that, for example, women in SK didn't care for WW but were crazy for CM. So I think it's down to concept. Something about WW concept just didn't connect while CM did. And I don't think it's DCEUs MCU cause Aquaman had no problem destroying both WW and CM OS. 

point being, just because one movie made more, it doesn't mean the other will follow. I would love for WW to make over 1B especially since I think Gal is magic as WW (Brie is very good as CM but Gal is MAGIC) so want OS to embrace the character in the biggest way possible. But I can't let my bias create the blind spot that OS just didn't go for WW although 400M is respectable business.

I think CM is a weird measuring stick specifically because it was billed as the appetizer to EG and seemed to serve an integral part to that.

Don't know if it really is down to CM connecting better (or exclusively that) - the MCU brand definitely had a big hand in it. And maybe being a lighter, colorful space adventure helped more than a Wolrd War I setting?

Think there's a lot of different takes on this. I don't believe anyone will truly be convinced one way or another until we actually see what WW84 does.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think the release date is good enough that, with a good marketing campaign, the DOM OW should be over 150 at least, which will give it a chance to finish around the same mark DOM as the first one. I don't think it's impossible to increase, even with that high a number for the original, but there's a lot of factors for that, and a loooong time to go. Internationally, I can't see how it doesn't increase at least 25%. China for sure, probably a few other Asian territories, Latin America should do good. The big question mark is Europe. Especially with the Euros on - and them being spread across half the continent this time, with games to be hosted everywhere from Azerbaijan and Russia, to Romania and Hungary, Spain, Germany, the UK, etc... 

Curious if they'll release this internationally way ahead of domestic. I'm intrigued what they'll do. 

That's assuming China hasn't banned US movies in the ongoing trade dispute by then.

29 minutes ago, AndyK said:

That's assuming China hasn't banned US movies in the ongoing trade dispute by then.

Doubtful. Especially if Tencent is involved again...

I mean, will the Chinese government turn down a few hundred million coming in from superhero movie revenue? Seems silly. But, we'll see...

49 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think CM is a weird measuring stick specifically because it was billed as the appetizer to EG and seemed to serve an integral part to that.

Don't know if it really is down to CM connecting better (or exclusively that) - the MCU brand definitely had a big hand in it. And maybe being a lighter, colorful space adventure helped more than a Wolrd War I setting?

Think there's a lot of different takes on this. I don't believe anyone will truly be convinced one way or another until we actually see what WW84 does.

I think that WWI setting may indeed have something to do with it like First Avenger's WW2 setting. Audience is more likely to connect with contemporary or near past when it comes to SH genre. 

I also don't think that CM blew up just because of EG. I think it was mostly on its own terms though EG didn't hurt. remember that prior to CM release, EG trailer/spot marketing didn't push for CM at all. She became the trailer and spot staple after CM release. So opening is very much CM own. legs are debatable whether EG cross-promotion helped but OW is pure CM.

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that WWI setting may indeed have something to do with it like First Avenger's WW2 setting. Audience is more likely to connect with contemporary or near past when it comes to SH genre. 

I also don't think that CM blew up just because of EG. I think it was mostly on its own terms though EG didn't hurt. remember that prior to CM release, EG trailer/spot marketing didn't push for CM at all. She became the trailer and spot staple after CM release. So opening is very much CM own. legs are debatable whether EG cross-promotion helped but OW is pure CM.

WW got off to a slower start than it otherwise would have because the DCEU was in the midst of a bad run. Its momentum picked up based on its quality and people who saw it deemed it a worthy cinematic adaptation of the comic and/or tv show of their youth. I don’t think the momentum reached its crescendo, so that is why I do think this movie has a chance to surpass the first both domestically and overseas.

Fact is CM did benefit greatly from Endgame and that is fine. The MCU earned that. The late legs on CM was built mostly on its tie in to Endgame. We will never know what the movie would have done without the looming release of the 22 movie culmination that Endgame was. I am sure that in their own way, the DCEU would love to build their brand to something close to what MCU has.

Anyways, CM and WW are female superheroes. That is the only way that they are compatible. Don’t think we should turn this into a franchise war debate though. CM did great. Excited to see what WW84 does. Judging by the only metric we have, which is the poster, I would say it is off to a very good start. The buzz created was awesome. We’ll see if that and other promo translate into a great run. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

WW got off to a slower start than it otherwise would have because the DCEU was in the midst of a bad run.

Plus, it was the first time audiences had a female lead superhero film on this scale :) 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I also don't think that CM blew up just because of EG. I think it was mostly on its own terms though EG didn't hurt. remember that prior to CM release, EG trailer/spot marketing didn't push for CM at all. So opening is very much CM own. legs are debatable whether EG cross-promotion helped but OW is pure CM.

Lol someone is forgetting that Captain Marvel was the post credit scene in Infinity War. Audiences knew she’d be in Endgame. If not from the logo, certainly from WOM and the resulting press.

Throughout the press tour, Brie was also asked about Endgame. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 6

On 6/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, Krissykins said:

Plus, it was the first time audiences had a female lead superhero film on this scale :) 

Lol someone is forgetting that Captain Marvel was the post credit scene in Infinity War. Audiences knew she’d be in Endgame. If not from the logo, certainly from WOM and the resulting press.

Throughout the press tour, Brie was also asked about Endgame. 

WW being the first female seen on screen on this scale was a benefit to the film, like BP. I think both WW and BP will have difficulty reaching the same level of success domestically, both were buoyed by fantastic reviews and a first-of-its-kind cultural event status

EDIT: Female superhero.

I guess the core of my concern with WW84 domestically is whether the film can deliver. I think in terms of statistics, like valuing a company and taking into account the probability of default. If we assume WW84's probability of default is 0 (great reviews and audience reception), then I think its almost undeniable that the film will match or exceed the original, great after-markets indicate that the film's audience has only grown post-theatrical

Also, while its impossible to disentangle any MCU film from the brand and the franchise's biggest films (cross-pollination has been a big part of the MCU's success story), I agree with most posters here that CM's success can't just be attributed to AEG. Sure, for us CBM movie fans her potential role in Endgame might have been a very important hook, but if IW couldnt boost AM&W much (despite those commericals) then AEG can't make CM a must-see with GA to the point of it becoming a 1bn hit. Furthermore, the film itself had almost no connection to AEG, and this was circulated as soon as it first screened. It also scored well with audiences and had good legs even without the late release EG boost

I would think that Brie Larson discussing AEG during press tours (even I didnt realize this, but it makes sense as I am sure most reporters asked about it) is almost irrelevant as far as GA are concerned

Edited by Justin4125

I mean, it makes sense, given the original release date, but... it just feels weird to be a year away and realize that there are viewings and it's pretty much a final product (subject to reactions, of course).

I do so hope it's good. I just love Gal in the role sooo much.