Dementeleus

Captain Underpants: The Epic First Movie

Captain Underpants: The Epic First Movie  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It knows exactly what it's supposed to be and for the most part, it doesn't try to be anything more.

"It's no pixar, with something that can appeal to children AND adults" there are some jokes in here clearly intended for older audiences and I found them funny, but badly integrated, hamfisted.  The background gags were usually a lot funnier when you spotted them. The somewhat adult sounding voices from two fourth graders didn't help either. Jordan Peele was excellent though.

One thing I'm especially impressed with is how Soren seemed to recognize that the entire concept of Captain Underpants was not meant to last a super long time.

Spoiler

It works better in the books, but he's not really in the movie a bunch. There's maybe 15 minutes in the middle where he's just Krupp. Who, by the way, gets far more character here than in the book.

Those minutes overlap with a lack of focus in the film until Poopypants comes in. It's not bad, but it really hit me that I was watching a downright children's cartoon.

It's an incredibly beautiful movie. I love the slight rambling tangents the characters would go on, things that established character. The switching artstyles and mediums were very nice:

Spoiler

there is the point where the villain is in the process of erasing the boy's sense of humor and it turns into a 2D style reminiscent of the books that shows their brains talking to each other. It's probably the simplest sequence in the movie but on the big screen, it was really kind of striking.

I was reminded very heavily of Illumination but better.

Spoiler

There's a conflict here and while it is treated as the end of the world, it's with such a comical spin of exaggeration, it fits the quick, manic tone.

This is probably my favorite Dreamworks movie of the decade so far. Or I at least like it as much as HTTYD 2 (Which I like more than the original). B

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's an incredibly beautiful movie. I love the slight rambling tangents the characters would go on, things that established character. The switching artstyles and mediums were very nice:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

WAIT WHAT

(I wasn't impressed by the animation at all. It was cheap and it looked cheap.)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

WAIT WHAT

(I wasn't impressed by the animation at all. It was cheap and it looked cheap.)

For the cost of the movie I was super impressed tbh. It's not even the cheapest CG movie out there, but when Dreamworks is used to having these fairly large budgets - I know I listened to a review where they said that it looked like it was a loading cutscene at points but I didn't notice anything.

Edited by Morieris

A fun movie. For its under $40 million budget, the animation is great! 

I liked Kevin Hart in the film, and it was very humourous especially the flipping in/out of Captain Underpants to their mean principal which was quite funny.

Also the villain was funny, especially the name being Professor Poopypants. 

Grade:B

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie is one of the most reverent adaptations I've ever seen. Nostalgic memories popped up time and time again while watching it, making me realize just how much the books were a part of my childhood. The gorgeous animation and wacky humor really capture just what Captain Underpants was when I was a kid. It's hard to say if one could really enjoy this film without growing up with that material, but I'd have to imagine it's still outrageously funny on its own terms. It lacks true heart, but that's fine for this type of animation. Hart and Middleditch fit their roles surprisingly well, and Helms is perfect as the titular Captain. Jordan Peele steals the show as an over-the-top nerd, but really this entire voice cast is great. Again, the animation beautifully transfers the illustrations to CGI, and it's just a ridiculously fun time. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie is joyously obnoxious, perfectly translating the witty source material to the big screen in a truly fun fashion. Snot kidding. B

Well hot damn, this was a funny movie! The hit to miss ratio is probably 70:30, and I found myself laughing at little sight gags like the plaque on Krupp's desk and Rotten Potatoes (ok, that one REALLY got me riled up with all the fights on here :lol: ). Whenever the movie drags slightly, it immediately picks back up with something hilarious. GG Dreamworks. 8/10 | B

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Well hot damn, this was a funny movie! The hit to miss ratio is probably 70:30, and I found myself laughing at little sight gags like the plaque on Krupp's desk and Rotten Potatoes (ok, that one REALLY got me riled up with all the fights on here :lol: ). Whenever the movie drags slightly, it immediately picks back up with something hilarious. GG Dreamworks. 8/10 | B

@God Emperor Tele seethes in rage at his computer screen.

1 minute ago, God Emperor Tele said:

I'd never begrudge someone liking something, no matter how insane I think their tastes are. :lol: 

Reveal hidden contents

Oh Tele.  How is that Mechanic: Resurrection Blu-Ray going?