ZeeSoh

Wednesday Numbers : WW : 9.4

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

*shrug * maybe I'm biased because it's a shitty movie

Regardless of what you thought, I think it big box office hit but not some cultural phenomenon. The first, yes. The live action remake, no. Folks enjoyed it and it had a nice run. Opened HUGE with sturdy legs. But, I'm more in line with you on this one. I don't know about forgotten. But, I don't think it will be as remembered as some are making it out to be.

• Like 1

It is always hard to know, but Disney are specially good to monetize their movie over time and make them remembered.

It would not be surprising to me, to find an out of the vault 4K (6K HDR?) special edition of the remake ending in the top 100 sellers on physical media in the year 2030.

• Like 1

Some folks who keep insisting WW won't do a sub 50% drop 2nd wk, or won't do a 3xOW finish, keep raising their predicting numbers. That shows some kind of a great sign. ;)

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Honestly, I really disliked BatB and only moderately liked WW. But, that aside, and this will likely spark debates, I think Diana/Wonder Woman will be remembered from 2017 much more so than Belle.

I think by the end of the year both will be forgotten. And I don't mean to say that as a negative for either film or character. It's more of the type of society we live in now. People are quick to move onto the next big thing. By the end of the year there will have been several other blockbusters/super hero movies that will have gotten the attention of the GA and Belle and Wonder Woman will just be an after thought to the year we had. 

Edited again to say that around Halloween though except both Belle and Wonder Woman to be tops on little girls and women costume lists lol 

Edited by Nova

The only released movies I see in the Top 25 right now are Get Out, Logan, GOTG, WW, John Wick, and Split. The former four will be in the Top 10 probably (though I won't be surprised if opinion of WW lessens when the hype decreases), and the latter two will be in the middle. BATB will be on the cusp of the list.

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It won't make out top 25 at the end of the year

I would not use a message board about box office as a reference for a movie being popular or not, it is a special subset (and skewing male/young/nerdy).

Mama Mia is one of the biggest movie of all time and most remembered movie of all time (It was the most profitable in Universal studio history, at least before Jurassic World but could still be), not sure it would have made a message board like this top 50.

• Like 1

I think with all the anticipation and fun rush of certain films like comic book movies, drops of under 50 percent (in the 2nd weekend) are only possible if it is truly a cultural phenomenon or super acclaimed word of-mouth wonder. One more modern reason i suppose is the fear of spoilers.

Edit: You should always read your posts a second time before posting :D

Edited by Brainbug

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think by the end of the year both will be forgotten. And I don't mean to say that as a negative for either film or character. It's more of the type of society we will in now. People are quick to move onto the next big thing. 

It depend what you mean by that, but it is a bit impossible for WW, she will be in justice League it will be a massive movie that will remember everyone about WW, there will be Wonder Woman 2 movie news (release date, director/co-actor casted, etc...) for year,s and that movie release making everyone remember the first one.

Franchise movie part of a big franchise are really hard to get forgotten, reminder and re-use of the characters are there to let them stay in the zeitgeist. And when Captain Marvel will get out or any female superhero movie will be announced, WW success will be mentioned in those news for a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would not use a message board about box office as a reference for a movie being popular or not, it is a special subset (and skewing male/young/nerdy).

Mama Mia is one of the biggest movie of all time and most remembered movie of all time (It was the most profitable in Universal studio history, at least before Jurassic World but could still be), not sure it would have made a message board like this top 50.

I would tend to think that most people here think much more highly of Mama Mia than of BatB. 

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It depend what you mean by that, but it is a bit impossible for WW, she will be in justice League it will be a massive movie that will remember everyone about WW, there will be Wonder Woman 2 movie news (release date, director/co-actor casted, etc...) for year,s and that movie release making everyone remember the first one.

Franchise movie part of a big franchise are really hard to get forgotten, reminder and re-use of the characters are there to let them stay in the zeitgeist. And when Captain Marvel will get out or any female superhero movie will be announced, WW success will be mentioned in those news for a while.

I'm talking about the film itself though. Character wise I did mention Halloween will bring both back into the public eye and WW does have JL's benefit but for me as far as I see it....society now a days is very very quick to just move onto whatever big comes next. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think with all the anticipation and fun rush of certain films like comic boob movies, drops of under 50 percent (in the 2nd weekend) are only possible if it is truly a cultural phenomenon or super acclaimed word of-mouth wonder. One more modern reason i suppose is the fear of spoilers.

That's one of the funnier typos I've read in a while. :lol:

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only released movies I see in the Top 25 right now are Get Out, Logan, GOTG, WW, John Wick, and Split. The former four will be in the Top 10 probably (though I won't be surprised if opinion of WW lessens when the hype decreases), and the latter two will be in the middle. BATB will be on the cusp of the list.

No don't worry, that's already happened with Alien Covenant. Won't happen to Wonder Woman.

:redcapes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UNDERDOG said:

No don't worry, that's already happened with Alien Covenant. Won't happen to Wonder Woman.

:redcapes:

Nevermind the fact CBMs normally don't make our top 10s outside of one film, and Logan is locked to be in the Top 10.

Films released so far that have a chance of appearing on our top 25 list (just for fun)

Get Out- probably top ten

Logan- probably top ten

Wonder Woman- 20-11 most likely

Split- 20-11 most likely

Those four are pretty much guaranteed.

Maybes:

Lego Batman

John. Wick 2

Beauty and the Beast

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2

Did I miss anything?