filmlover

Wonder Wheel | Woody Allen | Kate Winslet | December 1 | Amazon to distribute

As with Cafe Society I'll watch this for the cinematography alone. Storaro really went full Storaro in this by the looks for it. The premise doesn't really pique my interest, at least partly because the trailer is so rushed. I mean why exactly is it 90 seconds long and not 2 and a half minutes?

Trailer is fine I guess, eben if the most exciting thing about it was seeing Paulie and Bobby from the Sopranos again in a brief shot.

It looks "nostalgic" and colorful enough though, to be the frequent Allen hit. After Match Point we got 2 movies no one cared about until Vicky Christina Barcelona and then another two until Midnight in Paris and then just one flop until Blue Jasmine. He's in a cold streak atm with 3 movies that barely got noticed and a flop TV show. It's not an exact pattern but he seems due for another hit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Trailer is fine I guess, eben if the most exciting thing about it was seeing Paulie and Bobby from the Sopranos again in a brief shot.

It looks "nostalgic" and colorful enough though, to be the frequent Allen hit. After Match Point we got 2 movies no one cared about until Vicky Christina Barcelona and then another two until Midnight in Paris and then just one flop until Blue Jasmine. He's in a cold streak atm with 3 movies that barely got noticed and a flop TV show. It's not an exact pattern but he seems due for another hit.

Allen's track record since the turn of the century has been wildly inconsistent at best (see, or better yet don't, the dire early 2000s trifecta of The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Hollywood Ending, and Anything Else). I feel like his overall output would be much stronger if he didn't churn a movie out annually.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Allen's track record since the turn of the century has been wildly inconsistent at best (see, or better yet don't, the dire early 2000s trifecta of The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Hollywood Ending, and Anything Else). I feel like his overall output would be much stronger if he didn't churn a movie out annually.

Is there a reason why Allen produces a film a year? I agree that it’d be better if he maybe did a film every other year or longer 

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Is there a reason why Allen produces a film a year? I agree that it’d be better if he maybe did a film every other year or longer 

He's restless and wants to work all the time without getting too stuck with a single project. 

When a project is finished – last week I finished editing this film I shot in Paris last summer – then I’ll fondle for a week or two, or a month, put in a little music and play around with it. But there’s not much more to do on it really. So you sit around, and then what? What is the next thing you do? I start to write. I have a lot of ideas, some of them are good, some of them are less good, and I just make them.

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Something about the production design makes a lot of the indoor sets look more like a stage play. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I think it is about people that want to act or were actors in the past, so yes I think it is something about this going on (maybe they are even "playing").

Look gorgeous, maybe even more than cafe society and the story seem more dynamic, will see this in theater for sure.