That One Girl

Life of the Party | May 11, 2018 | Warner Bros./New Line | Melissa McCarthy

This is looks extremely lazy, even lazier than Tammy, which at least had the robbery scene. McCarthy just seems so off. Maya Rudolph is hilarious, but I've never seen her more unfunny than here. Her detergent commercials are funnier. Everybody looks wasted in this, Mccarthy, Rudolph, Walsh.

Can we just get Spy 2 already?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Spy may honestly be one of my all time favorite comedies. The writing and delivery by everyone in that movie is comedic gold. So underrated. McCarthy has definitely seemed like she's not even trying anymore in everything since that.  

To be fair, she's only had this, The Boss, and Ghostbusters since then :lol: The Happytime Murders and Can You Ever Forgive Me? should put her back on the right track (and maybe get her an Oscar for the latter).

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

To be fair, she's only had this, The Boss, and Ghostbusters since then :lol: The Happytime Murders and Can You Ever Forgive Me? should put her back on the right track (and maybe get her an Oscar for the latter).

Three comedies in a row is a lot to be on autopilot. Will take real effort from her soon or else she's not gonna be able to open movies on her name alone for much longer. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Three comedies in a row is a lot to be on autopilot. Will take real effort from her soon or else she's not gonna be able to open movies on her name alone for much longer. 

3 ? I would have thought much more than that, When was her last non-comedy ? According to box office mojo it was a Small roles in the Nines in 2007 ?

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

3 ? I would have thought much more than that, When was her last non-comedy ? According to box office mojo it was a Small roles in the Nines in 2007 ?

I meant her last three comedies have all been her on autopilot without making much effort. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I meant her last three comedies have all been her on autopilot without making much effort. 

Yeah everything with Falcone is, but Ghostbuster is far from autopilot I would say. Her Paul Feig stuff (Bridemaids, heat, Spy, Ghostbuster) is a big step up over her autopilot very McCharty movie like Boss, Identity Thief, Tammy and now what look like to be again the case here.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yeah everything with Falcone is, but Ghostbuster is far from autopilot I would say. Her Paul Feig stuff (Bridemaids, heat, Spy, Ghostbuster) is a big step up over her autopilot very McCharty movie like Boss, Identity Thief, Tammy and now what look like to be again the case here.

I enjoy Ghostbusters quite a bit and don't understand the hate, but McCarthy is by far the most forgettable aspect of it, imo. 

i think one of the wackier roles in ghostbusters was originally written for mccarthy but she asked to play the straight man part because it'd be different for her? idk, i still haven't actually seen it i just read that.

Edited by CoolioD1

I love Melissa. But the Boss and Tammy were dire so I have a low bar for this new one.

However, in Bridesmaids, Heat and Ghostbusters she’s absolutely dynamite.

Consensus from these reviews so far seems to be: Melissa is amazing, the film isn’t good enough for her. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think one of the wackier roles in ghostbusters was originally written for mccarthy but she asked to play the straight man part because it'd be different for her? idk, i still haven't actually seen it i just read that.

Yeah, she's pretty much the "straight woman" in the group in the movie.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

She's also doing The Kitchen which is a gritty crime thriller. The fact that her crappier films have one thing in common, it might be time to break it to Ben Falcone that he's not a great director or writer. 

• Like 1

The problem with Tammy, The Boss, and now Life of the Party is not Mc Carthy. If there is a comedic actor who truly throws herself 100 % into any role she plays, that's McCarthy. She is just incapable of phoning it in. The problem with those films is Falcone's awful directing, period.

She needs to stop this unholy cinematic alliance and start working with Feig again.

• Like 1

Every once in a while when I have an increasingly painful time with a studio or filmmaker I feel obligated to write, not a review but, a letter. I did it in 2016 with “When the Bough Breaks” begging Screen Gems to stop releasing the same generic black thrillers that ripoff "Fatal Attraction."

Today, I wrote a letter to Melissa McCarthy & Ben Falcone in request for them to stop working together in film.

Here's my review of Life of the Party:

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//life-of-the-party-review

• Haha 2