Grade it:  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

loved this. nuts in a way that reminded me of giallo films from the 70s/80s w/ that dreamlike style to it. even looking beyond the craziness it's one of the better representations of the isolation of young adulthood i've seen in a while.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

There's a poster hanging on the main characters room in RAW that says "What The Fuck". Yeah...that's the main feeling I left this film with. I usually like art house horror but I have no idea what the hell this wanted to be. I'm not even sure how to review it because none of it makes any sense.

The environment immediately took me out of it but then you have to completely check your brain at the door to buy this premise. So Alexa satisfies her craving by running out into the road, causing car accidents and eating the victims. You would expect there to be some DNA left over when police inspected the crime scene? You know, teeth marks, anything?

Okay fine, the movies going to just ignore the police side of it and go for a surreal vibe until it changes it's mind at the end and brings the cops into it. What the fuck movie! Make up your mind on what you want to be! Play by your own rules! Now Alexa is suddenly charged with murder but where were they before? How many accidents did she cause that went unnoticed by literally everyone around her (including the school)? How could the cops not see the tire marks showing the cars suddenly swerving off the road? There were no dead animals at the scene and again...I can't state this clearly enough....her DNA WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL OVER THE SCENE ALONG WITH HER BITE MARKS.

I would have been okay with these scenes if the climax didn't bring the police into it and then the ending....yeah that's a whole new round of questions and I was not on board.

It didn't help that all of the characters were completely unlikable and the eating flesh attributing to losing your innocence idea didn't work for me. Very gruesome and a complete waste of time. This movie pissed me off.

Want a good thriller set in France, watch Personal Shopper.

D

Chalk me up as one of the guys who loved it.  It's gruesome, it's hard to watch and it's absolutely riveting.  Maybe it helps that I became a vegan recently or maybe it's just that I can relate to the main character in some weird way.  This reminded me of Carrie in some ways.  She's kind of oppressed and through the bullying of her fellow students, she becomes something else entirely.  

I enjoyed her descent into madness.  I enjoyed her zest for human flesh.  There's a message in here somewhere, it's not overly subtle but sometimes, it doesn't have to be.  

RAW instantly became one of my top 100 horror films of all time.

9/10

• Like 2