kayumanggi

THE INCREDIBLES II | 634.2 M overseas ● 1242.8 M worldwide

So we have OS-China at $113.7m - Iceland (FD did 60k OW and 380k tot) so let's say -$0.1m and India around $3.3m. That would mean OS-China at $110.3m.

Last WE: $53.1m

This WE: $56.8m, take away China, India, Iceland: $32.2m second WE.  That means a drop of 39%.

Because OS actuals almost always go up let's say it increases $0.8m (only from 2nd WE countries) that would give $33m or a 38% drop WE to WE.

One thing that has to be pointed out is that the markets where it already opened are mostly Asian markets and Mexico, those are the most frontloaded markets so this drop is better than it seems at first sight. 

I2 already has a 2.14 multi from it's OS OW ( -Ch, Ind, Ice)

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

INCREDIBLES 2

i2_z321_117j_pub-pub16-1390_final_rgb.jp
Disney Pixar

Powering up its second weekend overseas, Disney/Pixar’s Incredibles 2 added $56.8M in 28 material market to take the offshore cume to $134.7M and the global total to $485M. China was tops in new plays with $21.2M for 2nd place behind the hold of the dinosaurs. This is Pixar’s best opening weekend in the Middle Kingdom where the brand has a spotty track record. The Douban score is 8.3 and social sentiment is understood to be good.

When animation works in China, it tends to build, but folks don’t see this one having quite the singing run that Coco did last year. Despite the gold dust that movie sprinkled on Pixar, and that this is a superhero flick in a market that’s goes nuts for characters in capes, there’s little familiarity with the first movie from 2004. And, there is competition in the market between Jurassic World 2 and the upcoming onslaught of local titles. But this is a very healthy start in the genre and tops Coco and Finding Dory’s bows by about 19% each in non-adjusted dollars. Coco finaled at $189M in China while Dory caught $38M.

India wholly embraced the Incredibles family with $3.3M at No. 1. Impressively, the score makes it already the biggest Disney/Pixar release ever in the market — in just one weekend. Across Asia-Pacific, already opened markets dipped just 36% with great holds in Indonesia (-8%), Malaysia (-9%), Singapore (-21%) and Australia (-35%).

In Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Incredibles 2 had the biggest industry animated opening weekend ever in Iceland; the biggest Disney/Pixar animated opening of all time in Croatia; and the 2nd biggest Pixar opening of ever in Serbia. Holds were strong in South Africa (-2%), Israel (-13%), Kuwait (-32%) and Greece (-32%).

In Latin America, the markets that had an incredible opening last weekend dropped only 44%. Uruguay (-16%), Chile (-30%), Colombia (-31%) and Argentina (-33%) were among the best.

Mexico leads play with $23.5M on this staggered rollout, followed by China($21.2M), Australia ($15M), Russia ($10.4M) and Argentina ($6.7M).

There is a lot more play to come with next weekend catching up with the family in Brazil, the Netherlands, Taiwan, Belgium, New Zealand and Portugal. France, the UK and Korea power up in July, followed by Japan and Spain in August and Italy and Germany in September.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Asyulus said:

The question is if this will gross $1.1 billion and overtake JW:FK at the WW box office.

I believe $600m OS is a done deal. So it will atleast do $500m DOM and $600m OS, both number could go quite a bit higher.

That said I do think JW might do more than 1.1B, I think 1.2B is more likely.

• Thanks 1

In Japan it's highly unlikely. If an animated movie involving ancestors, traditions and responsabilities can't even get to 50M dollars, a film about superheroes shouldn't go much above that (if it even reaches it). Range is probably 40/60M. Pixar brand just isn't what it used to be - and nor Japan's tastes to be honest.

Btw, we need a Dory vs I2 comparison.

Had some free time so did a quick Dory vs I2 vs DM3 comparison across the major markets that I2 had opened in and in same point of release (10 days in some markets and 3 days in the new markets)

Results so far (numbers as per latest studio actuals and Mojo):

Market

Dory (exact same point of release as I2)

I2

DM3 (exact same point of release as I2)

MEX

CHN

AUS

RUS

ARG

COL

Total in millions USD in these 6 markets

• Like 1