WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

I don't really have anything to say in immediate response, Blanks, partially because I'm on my phone, partially because I should be writing right now, and partially because I haven't seen GOTG2, so I guess I'll say I think your outlook is both naive and charming. And maybe that's just crotchety older me talking, but if you're inspired by some hypothetical piece of corporate junk, that inspiration is due to you and not it. (I'm very specifically being hypothetical here).

Expanding a bit on my earlier comment about CU, this is a common complaint I have about kids' stories these days, which is that the kids never feel like real kids. They feel like adults pretending to be kids, and the result are characters that are either particularly dumb (even for their age) or wise/smartass/sarcastic well beyond their years. 

IMO. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I don't really have anything to say in immediate response, Blanks, partially because I'm on my phone, partially because I should be writing right now, and partially because I haven't seen GOTG2, so I guess I'll say I think your outlook is both naive and charming. And maybe that's just crotchety older me talking, but if you're inspired by some hypothetical piece of corporate junk, that inspiration is due to you and not it. (I'm very specifically being hypothetical here).

Expanding a bit on my earlier comment about CU, this is a common complaint I have about kids' stories these days, which is that the kids never feel like real kids. They feel like adults pretending to be kids, and the result are characters that are either particularly dumb (even for their age) or wise/smartass/sarcastic well beyond their years. 

The thing is that it's really damn hard to write believable child characters, as everyone has a different perspective on what makes a child believable.  I think having the two kids be smarter for their age is also infinitely more entertaining than having them be average 4th graders (they still retain the average sense of humor of a 4th grader though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rman823 said:

What about Planes 3 ? 

Haven't seen the original 2 so nah

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

The Cars universe is demented and psychotic when examined logically. 

That's why I like CARS 2. It completely decimates the universe in a nonsensical, yet fun way.

56 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

:lol: 

I've been making the "MATER VOTED FOR TRUNK" joke among friends since the first CARS 3 teaser came out lol

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Ratatouille ... Pixar's best.

Wall-e ... Pixar's most over-rated.

Cars ... Pixar's most under-rated.

Cars2 ... Pixar's worst.

Definitely not.

Disagree but I could see it.

I'd agree but A Bug's Life exists.

Yeah I'll give you that.

43 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I think IO is great but there is no way I'm ranking it ahead of 2-6 on your list. Up is way too low, TGD too high. 

I'll probably agree with you on Up and TGD whenever I get around to rewatching them. Think TGD will fall apart a lot on rewatch, whereas I saw Up like five times in a row in 2012 and that kinda soured me on it

41 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself. :ph34r: 

I mean it did take me an hour and a half to grade it on Tues :unsure:

1 minute ago, Fielding said:

Wow. You guys see a helluva lot of movies. The only Pixar flick I've seen is Toy Story.

If you're still interested, see WALL-E, Up, Inside Out (haven't seen but it's supposed to be good), and Ratatouille.

I get the complaints some people have about Up's actual plot but there's just such an air of energy and fun to it that it never really bothered me. A solidly mid-upper Pixar for me.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I get your point, but here are my counterpoints:

1. Think I'm being idealistic, not naive. Which is actually pretty unusual for me, since I think POWER RANGERS, CARS 3, and a variety of other films typically do fall under corporate junk for me personally, but I'm aware always it's something personal.

2. I presume you're referring to the film, not the book on hypothetical piece of corporate junk. And it's not necessarily inspiration I'm talking about, it's more of an encouragement thing. For example, when I was talking about CU the books inspiring me as a kid, yes, I had a rip-off of Captain Underpants I created that I remember, but I also had my own more original stuff I was working on too, that I would've never bothered thinking of writing down - and keeping around until this day! - if weren't for that book series. The inspiration might not come from, but the work ethic (probably not the right word for it) does.

3. And I can get your comment on CU. It's a fine line that a lot of kids entertainment falls into, and I probably agree that if they had nailed George in particular feeling more like a kid, I probably would've enjoyed the film even more. That said, I don't find it a dealbreaker, and, working with kids regularly, I know kids like Melvin and Harold do exist and are actually pretty common (although they certainly have higher pitched voices lol)

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

We'll get around to it. :) 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 1