WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

I am amused that smoking weed is considered "better" and "more accepted" and "healthier" than smoking cigarettes...you know, you are still breathing in smoke and tar and blowing out smoke to those around you...the sole benefit to pot is usually for those with serious pre-existing health issues who benefit from the anti-nausea and/or pain relieving aspects, since they tend to not have to worry about health issues that could crop up 20-30 years from now.  If you're Joe or Jane regular, it's as terrible a habit as regular cigarettes, although I guess the definitive studies and lawsuits will probably be 20-30 years from now...

Now, I don't really care about smokers - to each their own if they don't bug me...I've got crappy-$ss habits of my own...everyone does.  But to demonize the cigarette users and then hold up the pot users and say "you should switch just b/c it's trendier now"...that doesn't even make sense...

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not sure "getting caught publicly" means a whole lot unless you've taken on a very high-profile anti-smoking stance. IMO, this is particularly true for foreign stars, since smoking is a lot more prevalent internationally than here. 

I didn't know Gadot smoked but I'm not that surprised, tbh. 

You don't see those that do plastering it over social media. That's my point whereas having a few drinks or even looking like you are stoned is more culturally acceptable. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I am amused that smoking weed is considered "better" and "more accepted" and "healthier" than smoking cigarettes...you know, you are still breathing in smoke and tar and blowing out smoke to those around you...the sole benefit to pot is usually for those with serious pre-existing health issues who benefit from the anti-nausea and/or pain relieving aspects, since they tend to not have to worry about health issues that could crop up 20-30 years from now.  If you're Joe or Jane regular, it's as terrible a habit as regular cigarettes, although I guess the definitive studies and lawsuits will probably be 20-30 years from now...

Now, I don't really care about smokers - to each their own if they don't bug me...I've got crappy-$ss habits of my own...everyone does.  But to demonize the cigarette users and then hold up the pot users and say "you should switch just b/c it's trendier now"...that doesn't even make sense...

There's a lot more crap in cigarettes than in weed... even if you're just considering straight tobacco vs weed. 

• Like 3

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

No one has ever died directly from smoking Marijuana, sure there can always be long term effects to everything especially when not in moderation. Tobacco and alcohol are far worse and it's not really comparable. 

• Like 2

By smoking weed, you are supporting, financing, enabling, blessing, encouraging murders, rapes, torture, human trafficking & prositituion, the rampant civil war in Mexico, terrorism, drug cartels, harder drugs etc etc plenty of groovy things and fun stuff.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, The Futurist said:

By smoking weed, you are supporting murders, rapes, torture, human trafficking & prositituion, the rampant civil war in Mexico, terrorism, drug cartels, harder drugs etc etc plenty of groovy things and fun stuff.

I need to smoke some weed to get this stupid ass post out of my mind.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm guessing it's healthier because a person with a weed habit isn't gonna smoke as much as a person with a tobacco habit, at least on average. I've known plenty of cig smokers who did a pack or more a day. I'm not even sure it's possible to smoke the equivalent amount of weed. Plus weed usually doesn't have the tons of other chems added to it that cigs do, at least for now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

By smoking weed, you are supporting murders, rapes, torture, human trafficking & prositituion, the rampant civil war in Mexico, terrorism, drug cartels, harder drugs etc etc plenty of groovy things and fun stuff.

I guess you don't realize it's legal in several states now? Legal to grow and consume. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

By smoking weed, you are supporting, financing, enabling, blessing, encouraging murders, rapes, torture, human trafficking & prositituion, the rampant civil war in Mexico, terrorism, drug cartels, harder drugs etc etc plenty of groovy things and fun stuff.

This is the best thing I've read today. :bouncy::bash:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

No one has ever died directly from smoking Marijuana, sure there can always be long term effects to everything especially when not in moderation. Tobacco and alcohol are far worse and it's not really comparable. 

I'll go with the CDC for now...it's not good for you if you are a healthy person (nor for 2nd hand folks around you).  Lots of things aren't...

If I wasn't already biased against the activities, I'd actually prefer the cigarette smoking effects b/c mental health effects would not be my bag...https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.htm

EDIT: And I got to see a grandparent die from mouth cancer from smoking - it's not pretty watching a 65 year old only being able to drink meals through a straw.  So, I'm probably biased on the whole "smoke" thing.  I wouldn't smoke anything, even paper, after watching how that went down at the ripe old age of 10.  

But I also think everyone should be able to do pretty much what they want, unless what they want hurts other people.  So, in the privacy of your own home, feel free to smoke 'em if you got 'em...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

@Telemachos a few weeks ago we were discussing how masking at theaters is starting to go away at some places, and I just wanted to comment and say that 1.85 movies on an unmasked 2.35 screen look pretty bad. I saw Captain Underpants (a flat film) on a scope screen the other day and couldn't ignore the letterboxing on the sides. I cannot imagine how Transformers is going to look on unmasked 2.35 screens because it has the shifting aspect ratio at every showing.

• Like 2

Just now, Telemachos said:

I guess you don't realize it's legal in several states now? Legal to grow and consume. 

Dennis Villeneuve isn't up to speed I guess and to be honest, no, I don't pretend to know the shenanigans of US law on weed between federal, state laws, with their specificities etc but I don't think all states are in the weed train and I think weed is also consumed outside of the US of A so it s still a massive issue worldwide.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

@Telemachos a few weeks ago we were discussing how masking at theaters is starting to go away at some places, and I just wanted to comment and say that 1.85 movies on an unmasked 2.35 screen look pretty bad. I saw Captain Underpants (a flat film) on a scope screen the other day and couldn't ignore the letterboxing on the sides. I cannot imagine how Transformers is going to look on unmasked 2.35 screens because it has the shifting aspect ratio at every showing.

The pillarboxing will bug the shit out of you because every time it's present, you'll be missing the use of the extra space. 

This happened to me in a big way with STAR TREK BEYOND in Barco Escape. 

• Like 2

Just now, Telemachos said:

The pillarboxing will bug the shit out of you because every time it's present, you'll be missing the use of the extra space. 

This happened to me in a big way with STAR TREK BEYOND in Barco Escape. 

If I end up seeing The Last Knight in theaters, I'm definitely seeing it on one of my theater's flat screens (10/12 are flat; only the two largest auditoriums have scoped screens). It's bad enough when 2.35 trailers don't take up an unmasked 2.35 screen; now imagine portions of a full movie like that :ohmygod: 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

If I end up seeing The Last Knight in theaters, I'm definitely seeing it on one of my theater's flat screens (10/12 are flat; only the two largest auditoriums have scoped screens). It's bad enough when 2.35 trailers don't take up an unmasked 2.35 screen; now imagine portions of a full movie like that :ohmygod: 

So the movie will either be pillarboxed or letterboxed for the entire runtime?

:rofl: