WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

3 hours ago, nomyth said:

Seriously, I think you guys are just putting too much into their opinions. It really isn't that big of a deal. There's always 100 reasons why movies succeed or fail and reviews by critics is just one of those reasons.

I love What Dreams May Come and I hate Citizen Kane. Who cares?

When studios are investing half a billion dollars into a film, I would assume they care.

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

They used to before RT came out.  I mean if RT was a thing in the 80's then movies like Beverly Hills Cop and Top Gun would have been ignored.

Pretty sure Beverly Hills Cop would've been recieved by critics like modern raunchy classics like Hangover and 21 Jump Street.

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i do agree that modern film fan's reactions are a little too preoccupied with other peoples reactions. RT or otherwise. like when force awakens came out fanboys here were using their reviews to tell me how wrong my C+ review was. like, wouldn't you rather talk about how much you love star wars? same principle with the dc fans who spend their whole reviews saying "urrgggh what do the critics know?" 

like a poster here said (can't remember who), calling a movie "overrated" is a fundamentally uninteresting take because you're responding to the reaction to the film moreso than anything in the film itself.

McWeeny nailed it

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You google any movie and google gives you the RT and metacritic rating.

Try it. :redcapes:

I tried it, and, gee, how far do you have to go down to find metacritic? Because the first things showing are local show times and this:

Edited by trifle

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

McWeeny nailed it

That's perfect.  

This is why you get people saying they have a guilty pleasure when they like something critics tell them not to.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, trifle said:

Yeah, that and JW.

a snooze is not 31.  How many 'snoozes' have rated above that? This wasn't a well known IP defying RT to get over $300M WW, it was an unknown IP.  With truly great legs.  How many '31 rating rotten' films need to get higher receipts second weekend than first in multiple countries before it is clear there is a flaw in the system?

You need to realize it's a percentage of critics who recommend it.  It's not a metacritic score.

If a movie is a snooze, I personally wouldn't recommend seeing it, so I'd give it a rotten.

Youre also not always going to agree with RT, it happens.  But it is what it is, an aggregation of the opinions of critics.  You won't always agree, but I really don't think there's a more effective way for RT to do what they do (show how many critics recommend a movie or tv show).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i do agree that modern film fan's reactions are a little too preoccupied with other peoples reactions. RT or otherwise. like when force awakens came out fanboys here were using their reviews to tell me how wrong my C+ review was. like, wouldn't you rather talk about how much you love star wars? same principle with the dc fans who spend their whole reviews saying "urrgggh what do the critics know?" 

like a poster here said (can't remember who), calling a movie "overrated" is a fundamentally uninteresting take because you're responding to the reaction to the film moreso than anything in the film itself.

OMG - someone else finally gave that movie the same grade I did...

This discussion was totally worth it!:)

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Noctis posts will just be hidden when I'm on.  His bullshit is getting very tiresome.

uh oh, could the ban hammer be getting shined up at this point? ;) 

why isn't my favorite movie better liked? — that's how these anti-RT posts read to me.

GA has made rotten movies successes in the past & continue to do so. The Transformers movies for once, they never had a fresh a movie and are still making a lot of dough. The Boss Baby is a hit despite bad reviews. Fifty Shades Darker still crossed 100m despite it and predecessor scoring abysmal RTs. POTC is still doing 150m despite having just one fresh movie in the whole series.

Critics have given juvenile movies good reviews in the past. Just look for the James Franco and Judd Apatow movies.

Also, whenever someone quotes 1 out of 300 critics to make their point critics are no good.  

• Like 2

RT has become a crutch for film discussion for sure. Its a "How can you like that movie? It is only 15% on RT" line of attack now, or "Why would you dislike a 95% on RT movie?" thing. There is no discussion anymore, it has become a shaming exercise like McWeeny correctly put it.

• Like 10