Cars 3 (2017)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A big improvement over the mediocre second movie but the first remains the best. It's nothing groundbreaking or up to Pixar's usually high standards, but the various racing scenes are a lot of fun and the overall message is a nice one, with amazing animation from a studio that only seems to improve in that area with each new movie. B

Honestly, it was worth seeing Cars 3 in theaters just to see Lou. An incredible feat of both animation and storytelling, it's already easily in my top 3 Pixar shorts ever. Really charming and utterly beautiful.

“Every time you lose, you damage the brand.”

Cars 3 is shockingly dull. It attempts to be more than the other films in the franchise by exploring Lightning McQueen's character in-depth, but unsurprisingly, there's not much there under the hood. Sure, it's fun to see a passing-the-torch film, but when you do in such a pedestrian way, one wonders what the point of it all is.

Admittedly, Cruz is a fun new deuteragonist, and the third act manages to bring it home in an engaging way that the rest of the film lacks. However, the only aspects that come off as truly exemplary here are the gorgeous animation (to be expected from Pixar) and the score, which although it doesn't really stand-out, it's just nice to hear a new score from Randy Newman, whose evocative tone brings the only nostalgia to be mined here.

Cars 3 really lacks all the imaginative nature one comes to expect from Pixar, serving up an average story anchored by the completely forgettable characters this franchise has to offer. Not even the few saving graces to be found here make it watchable, as the slog of a second act completely weighs down the film into something nearly unbearable. An utterly mediocre film that damages the recent revival of Pixar's brand. D

Edited by Blankments

Pixar worst yet. What the fuck are they doing, where’s the quality control the company is known for? It’s so long, boring and rolleyes generic. 

Cars 3 is a movie any other mediocre animation company could have done, it’s sad, really, for a studio with a fantastic track record to churn out stuff like this.

Honestly, I might prefer Cars 2 if only for the exotic locations and fun Giacchino score. Yes, 3 is that bad.

3/10

Edited by Goffe

Wow, you guys really didn't like it, eh?

I have been lambasting Pixar, Lasseter and Cars for years for the franchise. Ask @tribefan695 but, I quite enjoyed this.

I'd say this would be the proper sequel to the first movie. Cars 2 should just be forgotten considering how wildly misguided it was. I mean, from what I remember, it was all about Mater, so the main character from their previous film got relegated to a side story. Who does that? lol

Also, I'd definitely put this above Finding Dory and Monsters University. Perhaps because it feels like they are telling a natural progression whereas Cars 2, Monsters Uni and Dory were all needless and felt a lot more DTV/cash grab.

A definite step up from the Cars 2 but overall, felt like a huge waste of Pixars talent (and a good summer slot). Could tell where the story was headed as soon as the trainer was with Lightning on the beach. Feels more like it was made for kids than adults and a lot of the humor falls flat. I guess the dramatic moments were there but only one of them really lands and it isn't much compared to other Pixar fare. A lot of Dreamworks esque music too. 

Some of the visuals are breathtaking though. A few of the shots during the last road trip to meet Smokey look damn near photorealistic. 

Not a bad film or anything but pretty forgettable. It did make me realize how long it's been since Cars though.

B-

I've just watched this. There's mentions about characters parents and grandparents. All I could think about during the film's runtime was, How the hell do the cars have sex and reproduce?

Also the whole "We don't care about racing, we just want to sell merchandise" thing was done in really poor taste. You could get away with it in Toy Story but this film serves literally no purpose other than to sell branded crap.