aabattery

A Simple Favor | Sep 21 2018 | Paul Feig thriller with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively

So since the Bachelorette finale ended I have seen a few TV spots for this. When the bachelorette finale aired, I thought it was them just airing because its the target demo and it attracts a large audience but my fiancé has been watching TV a lot in the evenings and I'm still seeing the TV spots. 

Just thought it was odd for a non-blockbuster type of movie to be promoting with TV spots this early on. Lionsgate does know this doesn't come out for another month right :sparta:

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

So since the Bachelorette finale ended I have seen a few TV spots for this. When the bachelorette finale aired, I thought it was them just airing because its the target demo and it attracts a large audience but my fiancé has been watching TV a lot in the evenings and I'm still seeing the TV spots. 

Just thought it was odd for a non-blockbuster type of movie to be promoting with TV spots this early on. Lionsgate does know this doesn't come out for another month right :sparta:

They're heavily going after their target audience of adult women. FWIW I currently think this could reach a $20M opening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

<p><strong>STARRING:</strong> Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively, Henry Golding</p>
                                <p><strong>DIRECTED BY:</strong> Paul Feig</p>
                                <p><strong>RELEASE DATE:</strong>&nbsp;Sept. 14</p>

The genius of this movie is signing Henry Golding to play one of the leads. I was reading an article that talked about his start and Paul Feig said he cast him because his wife told him about the guy who got cast in Crazy Rich Asians and how he would be perfect. Crazy to think that in a span of a year, Golding is leading three films after not having been a lead in any. But he deserves it. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're heavily going after their target audience of adult women. FWIW I currently think this could reach a $20M opening.

Henry Golding's power :ohmygod:

But yea that's smart of them. During The Bachelorette alone there was I think 3 TV spots but hey we (I mean me) always complains about the lack of marketing for mid-budget type films so its nice to see a studio market a movie like this, this far out. 

27 minutes ago, Nova said:

The genius of this movie is signing Henry Golding to play one of the leads. I was reading an article that talked about his start and Paul Feig said he cast him because his wife told him about the guy who got cast in Crazy Rich Asians and how he would be perfect. Crazy to think that in a span of a year, Golding is leading three films after not having been a lead in any. But he deserves it. 

I know about this and Asians, but what’s the third one?

Gonna wait until closer to release date to see what further marketing push Lionsgate has for this (also waiting to see if it's actually decent or not) but I wanna make an interesting club for this :ph34r: Something to do with The Predator. It'll probably fail but oh well YOLO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Gonna wait until closer to release date to see what further marketing push Lionsgate has for this (also waiting to see if it's actually decent or not) but I wanna make an interesting club for this :ph34r: Something to do with The Predator. It'll probably fail but oh well YOLO 

What, over The Predator? That isn't a bold claim; I have it outgrossing that lol

• Astonished 1

Just now, Nova said:

Here I thought I was being bold with a club like that 

:sparta:

I have The Predator at 25/55 vs 20/70 for this. Unless ASF sucks, it should easily get a 3x. The Predator will be lucky to have a 2.4x given the performance of the last one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

if it makes 70m blake's star power will def. be proven

I mean I love Blake but this movie also stars Anna Kendrick and is directed by Paul Feig. Having said that, as I said in the weekend thread, it's all about finding the correct roles within the right movies. From watching the trailers for this film, seems like both Blake and Anna are selling their roles. Who knows if there were two other actresses in these roles, that they'd be able to sell them in a similar manner/be able to generate similar amount of interest for the film. Blake and Anna target a similar demo anyways so hard to know which one of them would be selling it more to the target audience. 

Either way now it's about the final marketing push and the quality of the product. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean I love Blake but this movie also stars Anna Kendrick and is directed by Paul Feig. Having said that, as I said in the weekend thread, it's all about finding the correct roles within the right movies. From watching the trailers for this film, seems like both Blake and Anna are selling their roles. Who knows if there were two other actresses in these roles, that they'd be able to sell them in a similar manner/be able to generate similar amount of interest for the film.

Either way now it's about the final marketing push and the quality of the product.  

I love anna but she has no pull outside PP franchise. However she's well liked but i doubt she could make hits like adaline or shallows on her own. but yeah I guess its a combination of some factors

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 2

Just now, TombRaider said:

I love anna but she has no pull outside PP franchise. However she's well liked but i doubt she could make hits like adaline or shallows on her own

I think Anna's biggest problem is that she hasn't been able to find the right roles within the right movies since taking on Pitch Perfect. I don't think Anna could sell the Age of Adaline or The Shallows either but that has more to do with them not being correct roles for her. Like Blake Lively is believable as a woman who doesn't age and who dresses really well. Or she's believable as a surfer. Those types of films aren't Anna's bread and butter. Just to flip it, I couldn't imagine Blake being in pitch perfect and selling that film the way Anna did. 

In this film, I could see Anna being that awkward mommy blogger just like I can see Blake being that PR person for a high end fashion company. So I feel like both actresses in this film are correctly cast and I think as a result, that'll help generate interest in the film. 

• Like 5