CaptainJackSparrow

Jurassic World II OS Thread

Lol this thread is Bipolar. Thrylos and Grace on one side (FK is a flop) and everyone else on the other (FK is doing well for what it is).

Reminds me of the AOU days when folks were calling it a flop for dropping from TA

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

Lol this thread is Bipolar. Thrylos and Grace on one side (FK is a flop) and everyone else on the other (FK is doing well for what it is).

Reminds me of the AOU days when folks were calling it a flop for dropping from TA

They’ve been at it since Thursday morning. 

• Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

I never called FK a flop, please find a post of mine where I call it a flop. All I said is that I don’t believe the miraculous 170 million production budget. I even said that even with a bigger production budget universal will make a great profit . Also pointed out that it’s S.K od was a result of a big holiday there.

Where grace is correct is that everything is a matter of perspective and not all movies are judged by the same criteria.

Edited by Thrylos 7

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

I never called FK a flop, please find a post of mine where I call it a flop. All I said is that I don’t believe the miraculous 170 million production budget. I even said that even with a bigger production budget universal will make a great profit for universal.

Where grace is correct is that everything is a matter of perspective and not all movies are judged by the same criteria.

Fair enough. Tbh I find the 170m budget hard to believe as well.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

This is BOT forum 😁

Thry and Grace ... lol 

• Haha 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Why hat is it hard to believe? All JP movies have never been the most expensive movies of their time 

That's true, but even with a 200m+ budget it would still be somewhat inexpensive compared to similar blockbusters 

If we doubt the official budget for this one, we must doubt it from now on for every single movie that gets released - ever. And thats bollocks.

170M is the budget number. End of discussion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

People said this same thing when X-Men:Apocalypse budget was revealed to be 178M after DOFP's 200M but guess what it is the official budget and considered it that way to this date. So people can say 170M is wrong or whatever but it is the official number and it's gonna stay that way. Also Jurassic World movies have ridiculously low budgets anyway for a blockbuster. I think it's probably got to do with the fact that they already have some CGI for dinos done already so they recycle it for new movies or something, I don't know but seems possible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oMeriMombatti said:

People said this same thing when X-Men:Apocalypse budget was revealed to be 178M after DOFP's 200M but guess what it is the official budget and considered it that way to this date. So people can say 170M is wrong or whatever but it is the official number and it's gonna stay that way. Also Jurassic World movies have ridiculously low budgets anyway for a blockbuster. I think it's probably got to do with the fact that they already have some CGI for dinos done already so they recycle it for new movies or something, I don't know but seems possible.

Speaking of CGI, everyone I saw the movie with (3 times on OD with different people :P) said FK looked better than JW because of practical effects. That animatronic Rex was pretty badass and even the CGI Rex wasn't as cartoony as JW - the way it looked and moved in the rain reminded me so much of Rexy from JP. The JW version looked like a random anorexic Tyrannosaurus. 

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Iwe must doubt it from now on for every single movie that gets released - ever.

For in house studio movies, well yes most people do..........

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

And thats bollocks.

True if one want to be able to play this like a sport or video games, needing actual numbers to be true so they can win fight on the Internet, but otherwise not having the real budget for most movies.... why does that matter ? We accept to not have P&A budget nor home video, tv contract numbers or participation bonus number very well it seem..... Why budget would be special ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

eople said this same thing when X-Men:Apocalypse budget was revealed to be 178M after DOFP's 200M but guess what it is the official budget and considered it that way to this date.

A producer of the movie (Kinberg) said the budget was 200m before rebate on a podcast for this one too. It was a direct source from someone directly in the know.

• Like 1

Mmm, budget talk, was Civil war an avengers movie, the definition of flop.... Some classic box office convo in here. 

The estimated Friday is a little lower than I was guessing after the Wed and Thu ones, but then again the summer and holiday schedules are different everywhere. I'm thinking up to 400 from these markets.

A 115 opening from China means less than the first there tho, maybe 200m total? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pepsa said:

Nah you said 'Flop', that is not the same 😛

This movie only needs $600m to break-even.

Impossible to know without knowing the first dollar gross deal in place for the Spielberg, Marshall, Bayona and co.

But if that rumored 170m budget happen to be true, even if for a China heavy scenario 600m is a lot to break even....

Probably more around 335m to 475m (if people bonus push the movie above 230m at the break even point that is possible).

170m that is the same price than a movie like Hancock, cheaper than the second Planet of the apes of the latest trilogy....

It is not even 50m more than a Deepwater Horizon, a movie that was not expected to go over 300m.

Sure that Jurassic World is getting a giant world release, but it would still be incredibly on the cheap side.

170m that is just above a movie like White house down budget adjusted in 2018 dollar, that movie had a break even point estimated at $330m in 2018 dollar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

If we doubt the official budget for this one, we must doubt it from now on for every single movie that gets released - ever. And thats bollocks.

170M is the budget number. End of discussion.

Alita has a bigger budget lol

You can doubt the reported $170M all you want, but it’s pointless to argue about it since you will never know the true budget. And even with $250M-300M+ budget, a 1B+ grosser will still be a big hit anyway.

4 hours ago, MattW said:

Mmm, budget talk, was Civil war an avengers movie, the definition of flop.... Some classic box office convo in here. 

The estimated Friday is a little lower than I was guessing after the Wed and Thu ones, but then again the summer and holiday schedules are different everywhere. I'm thinking up to 400 from these markets.

A 115 opening from China means less than the first there tho, maybe 200m total?

The first JW opened to $100M and ended with $228M, which is a pretty good multiplier for China.

I think a 2x for FK is very doable, so 115M would get it a total on par with the first.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sam said:

You can doubt the reported $170M all you want, but it’s pointless to argue about it since you will never know the true budget. And even with $250M-300M+ budget, a 1B+ grosser will still be a big hit anyway.

Lot of work was made in the UK, maybe they setuped an LLC and someone will find it.

Regardless looking at the name involved and just imagining some of the old school participation deal that must be in place, the budget will be just a part of the story here anyway and the difference between 170m and 207m would not be that big relative to the actual total cost of the movie.

And like you said, budget start to matter when you get a Solo box office, for those giant hit with total cost that can go over 800-900m, a 40m budget difference will not have that big on an impact, for the 400m box office movie a total cost of 426m or 476m become a big difference.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1