John Marston

Thursday Numbers (June 22): TF5 8.1M, Cars 3 4.4M, WW 4M (Deadline)

Cars 3 and Wonder Woman both increased so I'm expecting to see increases all around....except for All Eyez On Me. That one is just gonna keep on plummeting. It seems no ones got any eyes for that film anymore. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Baby Driver isn't a large budget film, however.  I'm also not positive that The Mummy is going to net much more profit than it.

I also dont think Hollywood needs to stop franchise sequels, but they're getting inconsistent in their grosses.  They can't have more safe franchises if they don't take initiative to make them.  

Plus, audiences will grow tired of continued franchising.  We've seen more than enough sequels to big hits bomb to show studios are going to have a hard time relying solely on sequels in the long run.

I think universal and WB are following along right path. Big franchises with many small films. Universal did try to build new franchise, lets see what happens with it.

MCU and DCEU have so many characters, they have much easier to battle fatigue than other franchises.

Also few other franchise creating tried by studios- power rangers, king arthur. It's very difficult to open a new franchise.

But it can be done- john wick, conjuring, kingsmen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Cars 3 and Wonder Woman both increased so I'm expecting to see increases all around....except for All Eyez On Me. That one is just gonna keep on plummeting. It seems no ones got any eyes for that film anymore. 

For some reason some people seemed to be offended when I said the movie was going to be front-loaded. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

All Eyez on Me is a crime against humanity, that's why it's plummeting.

• Like 1

I wonder if Universal regret passing on Baby Driver if it does well box office wise along with critical acclaim, Sony only paid half of the $34m budget so if it only does say $100-110m WW, that'll be a success for Sony.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Universal regret passing on Baby Driver if it does well box office wise along with critical acclaim, Sony only paid half of the $34m budget so if it only does say $100-110m WW, that'll be a success for Sony.

Will universal get nothing? Or this is like paramount and disney on avengers?

1 hour ago, FlashMaster659 said:

After a $4 million Thursday gross, Wonder Woman's 21-day total is $293.2 million. Wonder Woman has now passed Man of Steel's domestic total!

WW will pass all DCEU movies even in their adjusted domestic figures.

Boys, you gonna allow a girl kick your ass?!!

37 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

What was the point of Transformers 5 Wednesday opening? 

To make as much as possible.

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

So what if Trans5mers doesn't even hit 100m DOM? :ph34r:

100+ will happen easily. But 130+ is not a lock.

In comparison, POTC5 is looking at ~159.5 by the end of this weekend of 4.5-5.

So it has a good shot at 170 once the dollar bump is done. That looks like a healthy number post TF5.

• Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

100+ will happen easily. But 130+ is not a lock.

In comparison, POTC5 is looking at ~159.5 by the end of this weekend of 4.5-5.

So it has a good shot at 170 once the dollar bump is done. That looks like a healthy number post TF5.

It's not really a healthy number. Just because one moving is tanking pretty badly doesn't mean the other one isn't still tanking as well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Will universal get nothing? Or this is like paramount and disney on avengers?

They own Working Title so they'll probably get some money but not very much compared if they'd distributed and funded it. 

The arrangement with Working Title is that they get first look but if they pass on it, WT can shop it to other studios. A few films have been made and distributed by Studiocanal like Legend, Rush for example but Universal or Focus usually take US rights. 

• Like 2