grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

21 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I think the marketing for DM3 has been on point. They know exactly who their audience is and make sure people outside of the core know it's coming. Much better than it's been for any of the other animated films this summer. 

I think people outside of the core were put off by the very crappy Minions. 

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Box Office Mojo's report made a boo-boo. The report says Wonder Woman surpassed BVS domestic already. That won't happen until later this week. 

I was confused by that too, but what I think they mean is Wonder Woman is now tracking ahead of BvS on a daily comparison: 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=dcuni.htm

Minions dipped from DM2's overall gross despite a much bigger opening weekend and I believe that was the peak. I don't expect to convince anyone thinking an anti-Illumination bias is clouding my judgment but a one-joke franchise like this has to run out of steam eventually; especially since it seems to be happening with Cars

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Minions dipped from DM2's overall gross despite a much bigger opening weekend. I don't expect to convince anyone thinking an anti-Illumination bias is clouding my judgment but a one-joke franchise like this has to run out of steam eventually; especially since it seems to be happening with Cars

Cars never had that much steam to begin with,  Cars2 sucked, DM2 was loved. Minions is a spin off, and people know it has nothing to do with DM3.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

WONDR had a 20.5 OS weekend for 334.5 cume.

Should reach 375-385 in current markets and Japan will push it to 385-395.

380-385 Dom + 385-395 OS = 765-780 WW

Japan will add just 10M? :ph34r:

But TF5 had a better start overseas than domestic. Saturday's hold was quite amazing, and it should make about $115-$125 million domestic. 

Cars 3 and Wonder Woman in a photo finish. Cars 3 crashed in its second week, and should make $145 million. Wonder Woman still making stronger holds, and should make $365 million, if it sees stronger holds it has potential to be the highest grossing film of the summer!

47 Meters Down saw a better than expected hold under 35%, and should make close to $40 million. 

All Eyez On Me got shot down with a drop close to 80 percent, and should come close to $50 million. 

The Mummy still dying down, and shouldn't come close to $75 million.

Rough Night had a good hold under 45%, which Rough Night isn't a bad movie, it was actually pretty good and was actually nice to see Scarjo in a comedy. The film might be on the list for underrated films of the summer of 2017. And the hold was actually not bad for a dark comedy, and should make close to $25 million.

the rest of the releases have been mentioned over and over, and saw not bad to decent to meh holds. 

59 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Remember I was on the bandwagon for Pets exploding to $300M+ from the start and Minions doing what it did domestically. Sing I never bothered to put a number on (Real life stuff had my attention, to be honest).

And I'm telling you, good Sir, there will be a drop for DM3

Yea but DM2 did 360. So a drop? Sure. I agree. 330 sounds right.

Im in the middle of my second viewing of TRF5. First 45 minutes is better this time around but still not great.

6 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

Cars never had that much steam to begin with,  Cars2 sucked, DM2 was loved. Minions is a spin off, and people know it has nothing to do with DM3.

Do they? Sure could've fooled me. It's the same studio, much of the same creative team, same tone, and the minions are still front and center even if they're not the leads per se. Minions was marketed as and essentially was Despicable Me 2.5 . I can't imagine anyone who didn't like that movie maintaining excitement for this.

Everyone who argues about the OW comparisons with DM2 and Minions forgets that DM2 opened on a Wednesday and burned 60m in demand off before STILL opening to 83m on its proper weekend. Minions' OW would have been a dip from DM2 anyway if it had opened in 3 days and not 5. And even if DM mirrors Shrek to a point the % drop off from DM2 to Minions was not that bad it was only off by 30m in gross - not even 10%. Yall are acting like Minions collapsed from DM2.

Tracking and presales point to a weekend of at least 100m (so maybe a 10% dip from Minions) which could conceivably lead to a 10% dip overall but I think it makes bank and increases from Minions in total due to an empty rest of summer for family films.

And yes this board is incredibly Anti-Illumination as evidenced by the Pets and Sing! responses last year.

• Like 8