Ezen Baklattan

Create a Year of Movies (CAYOM) - How to Play / CAYOM Archive

1 hour ago, Xillix said:

I see your point but I wouldn't want to go that far... IMO part of the appeal of the game is a "what if" scenario where you can try your hand at reviving long-dead franchises or giving the movie treatment to something that's never been adapted. It's different if you're riding the bandwagon of a currently successful movie series.

As to the Warcraft thing, that's generous of you... but it wouldn't be available for four more years anyway :P

My "World of Warcraft" movie series were made  back from 2007-10 and were entirely "World of Warcraft" rather than the original stories.

Back when "Warcraft" was a delayed concept like the "Halo" movie that never materialized.

• Community Manager

Maybe add a cap on how many franchises one can claim per year?

So you can claim like 3 franchises now then you have to wait for year 2 before you can claim another 3. I also recommend capping non-original franchises to like 15 total per user and you only have the franchise rights for a certain period of time from the last movie. So if you claim Starcraft, make a trilogy, and then don't make a Starcraft movie for like 5 years, the rights revert to the public.

This way you can stop franchise hoarding, ensure people get the opportunity to handle franchises they want, and if nobody's doing anything with a franchise someone else can explore their ideas.

(The limits/years should be decided by people actually playing the game. I was just throwing random numbers out there)

• Like 1

I like the idea of set expiration dates for unused franchises. Also similar to many real-world contracts.

The only claim a certain number per year ship appears to have sailed though!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xillix said:

So, any other rules we think need to be codified, or are we ready to put up the release calendar and start Part I?

I feel like we have all the essential ones.

I can put Part 1 up tomorrow if people agree to it.

• Like 1

I've completed a draft of the Part 1 title post which I have saved to a .docx file. Calling all players to weigh in on if we should start Part 1 and what the deadline should be.

@4815162342 @Alpha @Ethan Hunt @Electric @Spaghetti of 1000 Planets @rukaio101 @Rorschach @Xillix

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

I think we should have an advance schedule thread set up first. Start it maybe tomorrow and then open it for a week. This would allow for a Part 1 date of July 16th.

I agree an advance schedule would help now that you mention it. Starting it tomorrow.

• Like 1

TBH I've never understood the point of a separate advance schedule thread. People schedule films in advance by posting them in the actual Part I thread without them being finished all the time. Then it gets confusing if people look at the advance schedule thread, which by this point has been abandoned, and think a date is open when it's not. And it's not like having a schedule thread earlier helps prevent people rushing in or the first come first serve nature of dating. Just seems like replicating information and delaying the start for no good reason to me. What's the rationale behind it?

14 hours ago, Xillix said:

TBH I've never understood the point of a separate advance schedule thread. People schedule films in advance by posting them in the actual Part I thread without them being finished all the time. Then it gets confusing if people look at the advance schedule thread, which by this point has been abandoned, and think a date is open when it's not. And it's not like having a schedule thread earlier helps prevent people rushing in or the first come first serve nature of dating. Just seems like replicating information and delaying the start for no good reason to me. What's the rationale behind it?

The concept of it is good in that it helps people gameplan in advance how certain parts of the year will look rather than a mad rush dogpile when Part 1 opens. For example: Person A puts Avengers 12: We're Still Avenging on the first weekend of May, Person B, who has Superman 5: Totally Super will know to give it a decent berth so you don't have two major superhero films opening close together.

Now in execution it needs work. I think as a partial fix we should implement a hard rule that you should only post films in the Part 1 thread when they are completed. That way we'll have less posts in that thread that say "Sorry lol, I didn't finish this."

For directors, the rule of one film per director per year isn't entirely accurate. I'm pretty sure the rule was one large film, or two small/medium films a year. As an example, JJ Abrams could do a Star Trek film, or Super 8 + a similarly scaled film. There's been several 21st century examples of directors doing 2 films a year (most recently Jeff Nichols last year) so I think we can, with some general oversight, be ok with that.

I'm down with a rule to only post in the Part I thread when it's finished and keep a separate schedule thread.

What one film per director per year rule? The one I proposed was already for two films a year and I didn't see anyone suggest differently.

59 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Now in execution it needs work. I think as a partial fix we should implement a hard rule that you should only post films in the Part 1 thread when they are completed. That way we'll have less posts in that thread that say "Sorry lol, I didn't finish this."

I would still copy over the advance schedule to Part 1 but implement that rule when it comes to any film that isn't on the advance schedule, plus set a hard deadline on the advance schedule before part 1 opens, just so there's an understanding between players as to what tentpole is planned for when (and prevent the dogpiling issue at the same time). If I don't see those movies posted after the deadline passes I'll remove them from the schedule.

Edited by cookie

So - commonly people make up their own studios for the game, fictional distributors to release their movies. Is it okay for a single user to have more than one studio for realism purposes? For example I've currently got two of my own animated films within just over a month of one another, and obviously any rational studio wouldn't put two of their own similar products so close together. But I don't really want to move either one. So is it okay if I assign them different studios?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xillix said:

So - commonly people make up their own studios for the game, fictional distributors to release their movies. Is it okay for a single user to have more than one studio for realism purposes? For example I've currently got two of my own animated films within just over a month of one another, and obviously any rational studio wouldn't put two of their own similar products so close together. But I don't really want to move either one. So is it okay if I assign them different studios?

Yeah. That's basically what I did in the older CAYOM for bigger projects vs. filler stuff

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xillix said:

Eh, it kind of depends. Usually when we use different studios they're still under the same "parent", like how Pixar and WDAS are both under Disney, who don't generally schedule their respective films in close proximity to one another so they don't end up accidentally competing.

You can make an exception this time since the schedule is filling up fast but I think for future reference it's better to keep them at a bit of a distance for realism's sake (and for your own benefit). I have three animated films scheduled for Year 1 but they're at least three months from one another.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

Ah it seems that I´ve missed quiet some time here :D

I really got lazy over the past years but I think I´ll try to start a comeback as well.

As I have seen we won´t use franchises which are currently in development or just had a film right? So byebye WarCraft :(

But what about "our" own movie world? As always I´ll take the SpellForce rights (will post in the franchise rights thread afterwards) but is it ok to start stuff like that again?

At last I just can say I´m happy that we start again... I won´t have the time to write massive amounts of movies or reviews and stuff but hell I loved this game.

But dang I have to learn english again :sadben:

Edit: is it okay to re release some of the stuff we wrote in "vanilla" section? OFC with some tweaking and stuff.

Edited by SilverShark

1 hour ago, SilverShark said:

Edit: is it okay to re release some of the stuff we wrote in "vanilla" section? OFC with some tweaking and stuff.

Of course. Most of my films in the Part 1 thread right now are C&P from 2.0 while I'm working on the bigger films.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1